Best Blood Claim to The Iron Throne: Daenerys, Stannis or (f)Aegon

Corvo Attano

First off, Disclaimer: Okay, so I'm aware that there is a substantial amount of evidence for Jon being the trueborn son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, which would give him the best blood claim to the Iron Throne, but for the purposes of this thread I'm not including him in the debate, because a) its very interesting to examine who out of Dany/Stan/fAegon has the strongest claim, and Its quite likely Jon will die in some sort of final blaze of glory or something near the end of the series. Also, I'm assuming Aegon is fake. Its a theory I strongly believe in, and I believe most of the board does too. And, this thread is only talking about blood claims, I'm not looking for a debate about right of conquest.

Right then, Let's get started.

Daenerys

Dany's claim is based on the fact that she believes she is the only remaining Targaryen. As the only remaining offspring of Aerys II, she would be the rightful heir to any lordship in Westeros. But the Targaryen succession works in such a way that all trueborn males come before any females. This is where the debate arises. What about male bastards? what about males with other names but Targaryen blood in their veins? Although you can use the argument that the other claimants are too far away from the main branch to have any decent claim, which would indeed make Dany the rightful heir

Stannis

Stannis may not be a Targaryen, but he still has a claim to the Iron Throne. His grandmother was Rhaelle Targaryen, who was the only daughter of Aegon V. In addition to that, House Baratheon is actually a cadet branch of House Targaryen - the founder of the house, Orys, was Aegon the Conqueror's half brother. This gives Stannis a claim to the Iron Throne, by dint of him being a trueborn male with Targaryen blood, and only being three generations away from the Targaryen main branch. However, debate arises because he does not have the name 'Targaryen', and it is unclear if female Targaryens come before males of other houses with Targaryen blood.

(f)Aegon

The Blackfyres were founded by Daemon Blackfyre, the eldest bastard of Aegon IV, and was legitimized on his [Aegon IV] deathbed, so we was actually a Targaryen in name as well as blood. If (f)Aegon is indeed his descendant, he will technically be a trueborn Targaryen, although very far-removed from the main branch - Indeed, much further away than Stannis. If you apply the "all trueborn males come first" argument, (f)Aegon will come before Dany. However, once Daemon took the name 'Blackfyre' is is unclear if he still counted as a trueborn Targaryen. It is also stressed that The Blackfyre's are extinct in the male line, and combined with the description of Illyrio's second wife Serra, it seems most likely that (f)Aegon is a Blackfyre of the female line, which would cast doubt on the "all trueborn males come first" argument - what about somebody born of the female line of a cadet branch? Are they too far away to have any decent claim, and does the 'born of the female line' part have any effect on the strength of your claim? If your mother is last in line (by dint of being female), and she then gives birth to you, where in the line of succession are you?

Thoughts? Who has the strongest claim, and why?

I'm aware that this may not be the best written thing ever - I'm not great at expressing myself - but try to translate my ramblings into something intelligible :P

Stannis... Women can`t inherit the Throne and Aegon is Blackfyre thus illegitimate Targaryen offspring.

Daemon Blackfyre was legitimized, he was a true Targaryen.

I get the feeling people aren't reading the OP in very much detail..

Stannis. Robert got the throne by right of conquest, thus ending Targaryen rule regardless if there were 50 more targ out there... (which it seems some people do think this lol) But Joff Myrcella and Tommen are incestuous bastards=no claim.

Dany is a women

Aegon is up in the air.... I for one REALLY hope he is real but he is not long for this world lol but refer to top ;)

edit: oops me no read too good lol

Stannis. Robert got the throne by right of conquest, thus ending Targaryen rule regardless if there were 50 more targ out there... (which it seems some people do think this lol) But Joff Myrcella and Tommen are incestuous bastards=no claim.

Dany is a women

Aegon is up in the air.... I for one REALLY hope he is real but he is not long for this world lol but refer to top ;)

To quote myself, literally two posts ago:

Read the disclaimer. This thread is to discuss blood right, not anything to do with right of conquest.

Daemon Blackfyre was legitimized, he was a true Targaryen.

I get the feeling people aren't reading the OP in very much detail..

Don`t accuse me of not reading your OP... I do read it carefully, but after Blackfyre Rebellion Daemon started, all Blackfyres were disinherited, right?

Depending on your point of view, Aegon (because let's face it, there's no way anyone will openly prove he is false) or Stannis.

Dany is the only one that will be seen as having a flimsy claim.

The true answer though, is Tommen.

Read the disclaimer. This thread is to discuss blood right, not anything to do with right of conquest.

lol sorry I missed the last sentence of your disclaimer. You should really make it clear that you're asking who has the best claim as being head of house Targaryen. If right of conquest has nothing to do with it, then none of the Targaryens were actually kings either.

If that's what you're asking, then clearly Dany, as Aegon is fake and Dany is much more Targaryen than Stannis.

Stannis... Women can`t inherit the Throne and Aegon is Blackfyre thus illegitimate Targaryen offspring.

Blackfyres are legitimised, but have probably been barred from the line of succession. Even if they had not, Aegon would be behind the Baratheons.

As for the women, they could not inherit the Iron Throne whilst close male relatives were still about. Dany can definitely make the case, that the Baratheons are too distant to take come before her. The Targaryen rules of succession are not very clear and many arguments could be made.

Either way Stannis has by far the strongest claim out of the group, then Dany and if Aegon is fake then even the Martells might have a stronger claim.

Don`t accuse me of not reading your OP... I do read it carefully, but after Blackfyre Rebellion Daemon started, all Blackfyres were disinherited, right?

Good point. It could be up in the air as to whether that was counted as having been lifted though, once it was believed that The Blackfyres were extinct. But you're probably right, fAegon is most likely out.

Good point. It could be up in the air as to whether that was counted as having been lifted though, once it was believed that The Blackfyres were extinct. But you're probably right, fAegon is most likely out.

assuming he is in fact fake which I dont buy

Archived