Tyrion repaying his debts

PickledPigeon

He is a little busy at the moment.

But my guess would be that when Danny (or whoever Tyrion declares for) arrives, his task will be to get allies for whoever.

The vale will decline and Tyrion will then help the mountain clans take over.

Or Sansa will have the vale and any number of things could happen like Vale and Mountain clan unity for example.

There are only a few ways that Tyrion could repay his debt however.

And maybe his debt was repaid when he got them weapons and armor to do with what they will...

Who knows?

Tyrion repaid that debt by arming the mountain clans. He's way more focused on Casterly Rock now. However, if he ends up on top (a very huge if) and if Lysa's son is still in charge of the Vale (a very huge if) then I'm sure he won't forget that Robert wanted to make him fly, or the fact that the mountain clans have reason to be friendly towards him.

He was speaking in figurative sense - the Vale of Arryn wasn't his to give in the first place. He gave the clans good steel, and lots of it, too, and that concludes the transaction between them.

Didn't some of the clansmen stay in the Kingswood?

Yup. Shagga and his Stone Crows stayed in the Kingswood after the Battle of the Blackwater.

@OP, I agree with Lord Tyrion's Whore, Tyrion paid the clans with good steel and now taking the Vale is entirely up to them.

Tyrion spends alot using his father's credit. He can only pay little of it though. The Clasmen will never get the Vale, and Tyrion has no reason to give a shit about them, nor can he make good on his promise if he wanted to. Why they followed him I have no idea...

It's not that complicated IMO, following Tyrion gave them cold steel and hard cash. The mountain clansfolk that survived ended up much better off than they were before.

Half of the 300 that went with him died on the Green Fork. More died during the Blackwater. The few who returned home brought some cash and steel, but lost a couple hundred men, and recieved zero backing from Tywin's army. It's a poor deal that is unlikely to further thier goals, if not outright damage them.

But Gunthor raised a hand. “No. I would hear his words. The mothers go hungry, and steel fills more mouths than gold. What would you

give us for your lives, Tyrion son of Tywin? Swords? Lances? Mail?”

“All that, and more, Gunthor son of Gurn,” Tyrion Lannister replied, smiling. “I will give you the Vale of Arryn.

Tyrion was about to tell his lord father how he proposed to reduce the Vale of Arryn to a smoking wasteland, but he was never given the

chance. The door banged open again. The messenger gave Tyrion’s clansmen a quick, queer look as he dropped to one knee before Lord

Tywin. “My lord,” he said, “Ser Addam bid me tell you that the Stark host is moving down the causeway.”

“The Stone Crows are still in the kingswood. Shagga seems to have taken a fancy to the place. Timett led the Burned Men home, with all

the plunder they took from Stannis’s camp after the fighting. Chella turned up with a dozen Black Ears at the River Gate one morning, but

your father’s red cloaks chased them off while the Kingslanders threw dung and cheered.”

The Vale of Arryn was the offer. It was never delivered and Tyrion has no real ability to pay his debt.

Arms were sent back to the Vale long before the remaining clansmen were chased out of KL. Back in Clash, Tyrion hears about what they are doing in the Vale with the arms he gave them. They fought for Tywin and then only a small force went to KL with Tyrion, the rest went back to the Vale with the weapons and armor that had been given to them.

As to the debt that needs to be paid, there are actually two debts for Tyrion here. One is the arms promised to the clansmen which he gave them. The other debt is to Lysa for holding him in the Vale which is one of the major factors that lead to his arrangement with the Vale clansmen. He used them to pay his debt to Lysa.

Arms were sent back to the Vale long before the remaining clansmen were chased out of KL. Back in Clash, Tyrion hears about what they are doing in the Vale with the arms he gave them. They fought for Tywin and then only a small force went to KL with Tyrion, the rest went back to the Vale with the weapons and armor that had been given to them.

As to the debt that needs to be paid, there are actually two debts for Tyrion here. One is the arms promised to the clansmen which he gave them. The other debt is to Lysa for holding him in the Vale which is one of the major factors that lead to his arrangement with the Vale clansmen. He used them to pay his debt to Lysa.

Forgot about the arms in Clash. Still:

His promiose to the Clansmen was that the arms were the first step, and that he will give them the Vale. He fails to deliver, and is in no position to pay his debt. The armor is nice to have, but it by no means able to give them the Vale (who has salightly more then 3,000 men) - that takes backing by another army.

His promiose to the Clansmen was that the arms were the first step, and that he will give them the Vale. He fails to deliver, and is in no position to pay his debt. The armor is nice to have, but it by no means able to give them the Vale (who has salightly more then 3,000 men) - that takes backing by another army.

we learn that Bronce Yohn Royce assembles about 20k to kick out LF, so unless they were to leave the Vale undefended for some reason, I don't think that the clansmen will be able to take it.

I don't remember Tyrion giving them a timeframe, and didn't he just negotiate with a bunch of sellswords to get himself an army? I'm sure it's on his to do list, he just has more important things to do for the time being.

Tyrion now has an Army and will need a place to land when he comes back to Westeros.

I don't think that he failed to deliver... he just hasn't done it, yet. I've always thought that Tyrion would end up sacking the Vale at some point.

In one chapter in GOT Tyrion promises the Vale of Arryn to the mountain clans. as we know a Lannister always pays his debts and this was heavily reinforced in the chapter where he promises it. Perhaps at the end of all this the mountain clans control the vale?

I doubt it Little Finger is in control of the Vale and the mountain clans don't seem cappable of beat a man as cunning as him. Also it's winter their probably not leaveing their homes for a while

I doubt it Little Finger is in control of the Vale and the mountain clans don't seem cappable of beat a man as cunning as him. Also it's winter their probably not leaveing their homes for a while

There's been no indication, whatsoever, that Littlefinger knows anything about military tactics. Being cunning isn't going to save his ass in a battle. His strength has been to stay out of direct fights.

A number of people in this thread are assuming that the mountain clans need to take the Vale. Tyrion says that he will give them the Vale, and he appears to already have a plan...

“All that, and more, Gunthor son of Gurn,” Tyrion Lannister replied, smiling. “I will give you the Vale of Arryn.

Tyrion was about to tell his lord father how he proposed to reduce the Vale of Arryn to a smoking wasteland, but he was never given the

chance.

There's been no indication, whatsoever, that Littlefinger knows anything about military tactics. Being cunning isn't going to save his ass in a battle. His strength has been to stay out of direct fights.

A number of people in this thread are assuming that the mountain clans need to take the Vale. Tyrion says that he will give them the Vale, and he appears to already have a plan...

chance.

I was referring to his cunning in sense that he would assign the task to the most capable men at his disposal (which is the entire vale of Arryn for the most part) and the mountain clans don't seem big enough or organized enough to beat the knights of the vale.Lastly Tyrions promise wasn't that he would help the actually conquer the vale but give them weapons and armor so they can attack the Vale.

I was referring to his cunning in sense that he would assign the task to the most capable men at his disposal (which is the entire vale of Arryn for the most part) and the mountain clans don't seem big enough or organized enough to beat the knights of the vale.Lastly Tyrions promise wasn't that he would help the actually conquer the vale but give them weapons and armor so they can attack the Vale.

Well, the quoted phrase contradicts your own statement, you are aware off this, right?

"I will give you the Vale of Arryn.

He didn't say:

"I will give you weapons, so that you can take the Vale of Arryn."

He promised them the Vale and didn't deliver... SO much for 'a Lannister always pays his debts'. The Seven Kingdoms should be made aware of this fact!

Well... you quoted the phrase from the books:

"I will give you the Vale of Arryn.

He didn't say:

"I will give you weapons, so that you can take the Vale of Arryn."

He promised them the Vale and didn't deliver... SO much for 'a Lannister always pays his debts'. The Seven Kingdoms should be made aware of this fact!

Right cuz every thing everyone says should be taken at face value and no one ever speaks metaphorically

Archived