Aegon and Blackfyre

midnight ghost

After Blackfyre rebellions, all of them were exiled, male line is destroyed and they were disinherited. So, I dont see how the sword would help Aegon's claim when he proclaims to be Targaryen...

Any more than landing with the GC which has been founded and made up of Blackfyre supporters?

Besides, Griff would think with the Blacvkfyres dead, it will be seen as the sword of the Targaryen kings again from before it was given to Daemon.

Barristan fought in the War of Ninepenny Kings where he slained last Blackfyre pretender, and sword was there...

That was 40 years ago. If Aegon went around brandishing a sword he called Blackfyre who is going to say its a fake? It's not like Barristan could walk up to Aegon, put on his granny glasses, and confirm its authenticity.

oh, you're right, that could well be. Do the Hightowers have a considerable strenght, though? and wasn't the army of the lords of the Storm lands largely decimated during the Wot5K?

eta: answer to King of the Starks

Well they didn't side with Stannis after Renly's death and stayed with the Tyrells, so they won't have lost a big number of soldiers, so they still might have a capable force.

The Storm Lords may not have a large army but united together they could add significant numbers to (F)Aegon's smallish army.

Any more than landing with the GC which has been founded and made up of Blackfyre supporters?

Besides, Griff would think with the Blacvkfyres dead, it will be seen as the sword of the Targaryen kings again from before it was given to Daemon.

No, but GC are seen just as merceneries at the moment. Even Stannis wanted them. But, to wield a sword with that history with Dany claiming him to be false, well that would be indeed suspicious.

Do we know if Maelys had Blackfyre for certain during this duel? If so Selmy it is just another impressive feat for the legend that is Selmy.

I think he had... I mean, you don't leave the Valyrian sword to lay down while you fight with lesser sword.

That was 40 years ago. If Aegon went around brandishing a sword he called Blackfyre who is going to say its a fake? It's not like Barristan could walk up to Aegon, put on his granny glasses, and confirm its authenticity.

It`s not about authenticity, or even how much time passed. Fourty years alas historically isn`t that much. What that sword represents is completely different story.

The sword is much more inextricably linked with the Blackfyres than the GC are. The War of the Ninepenny Kings was what, 40 years ago? That means that it's unlikely anyone currently serving in the GC has ever fought for the Blackfyres and most of them will have grown up believeing the family dead even if the leaders knew otherwise, plus the GC have been doing other stuff around the Free Cities in the intervening time, so it's not like their mere presence screams "Blackfyre".

Blackfyre, on the other hand, has a much stronger and more undiluted connection to the Blackfyres, nobody else but Blackfyres have wielded it since Aegon IV. For it to suddenly reemerge after all this time in the hands of a "Targaryen" from the Free Cities is suspicious to say the least, especially given that nobody ever tried to return it to Aerys during all the years following the WotNpK yet apparently they're down with just handing it over to his "grandson"

The sword is much more inextricably linked with the Blackfyres than the GC are. The War of the Ninepenny Kings was what, 40 years ago? That means that it's unlikely anyone currently serving in the GC has ever fought for the Blackfyres and most of them will have grown up believeing the family dead even if the leaders knew otherwise, plus the GC have been doing other stuff around the Free Cities in the intervening time, so it's not like their mere presence screams "Blackfyre".

Blackfyre, on the other hand, has a much stronger and more undiluted connection to the Blackfyres, nobody else but Blackfyres have wielded it since Aegon IV. For it to suddenly reemerge after all this time in the hands of a "Targaryen" from the Free Cities is suspicious to say the least, especially given that nobody ever tried to return it to Aerys during all the years following the WotNpK yet apparently they're down with just handing it over to his "grandson"

If Aegon does get the sword, he/varys could come up with some BS story about how he reclaimed it for House Targaryen. It wouldn't raise any more eyebrows than the Targ heir, who was supposed to be killed in infancy, landing in Griffin's Roost with the ghost of Jon Connington and a sellsword group formed by Blackfyres. Right?

No, but GC are seen just as merceneries at the moment. Even Stannis wanted them. But, to wield a sword with that history with Dany claiming him to be false, well that would be indeed suspicious.

Illyrio and Varys never expected anyone, especially Dany, to find out. It wouldn't be so suspicious if no one found out about Aegon's heritage, and he was accused of being a Blackfyre.

Illyrio and Varys never expected anyone, especially Dany, to find out. It wouldn't be so suspicious if no one found out about Aegon's heritage, and he was accused of being a Blackfyre.

But, don`t you think it would be like unwanted attention. It would be like giant question mark. They have to do this as subtle as they can, they don`t need additional questions, for example about the sword that would possibly tie him to Blackfyres. Even if no one knows the truth, him wielding a Blackfyre on head of GC is historical parallel many would draw...

I think it would be interesting if GRRM brought the sword back and he uses it, uniting the blackfyre supporters and targ supporters against the iron throne. Or something crazy like the Three eyed crow (BR) giving dark sister to Bran or potential John snow (true Targ),you never know) and it resulting another battle like the redgrass field. I think it would be an interesting parallel, especially if you bring one sword back i think the other has to come back as well.

But, don`t you think it would be like unwanted attention. It would be like giant question mark. They have to do this as subtle as they can, they don`t need additional questions, for example about the sword that would possibly tie him to Blackfyres. Even if no one knows the truth, him wielding a Blackfyre on head of GC is historical parallel many would draw...

It will mainly be a hint to readers.

It will mainly be a hint to readers.

True, but still someone would recognize Blackfyre. I mean it`s not ordinary sword. And when someone would recognize it, it would be rather difficult to explain. When you try to hide something, you don`t give hints pointing at your secret.

After Blackfyre rebellions, all of them were exiled, male line is destroyed and they were disinherited. So, I dont see how the sword would help Aegon's claim when he proclaims to be Targaryen...

Yep having a Blackfyre sword doesnt help his claim to be a Targ to much. If he had Dark Sister it might be a different story because Bloodraven was loyal to the Targs and the blade wouldnt have the Blackfyre name looming around the blade..

Personally, I'm way more curious about Darksister, whose whereabouts are more mysterious.

Blackfyre was with Bittersteel, who formed the GC, so the sword should be with the GC. Or it was the sword Tyrion saw when he was on his way to meet JonCon + fAegon.

But Darksister... We know that Bloodraven wielded it during the First BF rebellion and after that it is never mentioned again. I don't think Aegon V would have given it to him, after Bloodraven got sent to the wall. One would assume, that after losing Blackfyre, the Targs would take special care of Darksister...

Does Dany even mention Darksister in the books?

When Ilyrio brought Tyrion to Connington's crew and learned that there was no time to meet Aegon, didn't he mention a few things that he was sending in the chests? And, IIRC, "the sword" was one of those items. I am fairy sure that Aegon does have Blackfyre.

Personally, I'm way more curious about Darksister, whose whereabouts are more mysterious.

Blackfyre was with Bittersteel, who formed the GC, so the sword should be with the GC. Or it was the sword Tyrion saw when he was on his way to meet JonCon + fAegon.

Woah there ... What's this about Tyrion seeing a sword that looked like Blackfyre on his was to meet Jon Connington??? I need to dig out a few Tyrion chapters to explore ...

On a completely unrelated note, Dark Sister is one of the best names for a sword I've ever heard. Along with Ice, outstanding!

Woah there ... What's this about Tyrion seeing a sword that looked like Blackfyre on his was to meet Jon Connington??? I need to dig out a few Tyrion chapters to explore ...

On a completely unrelated note, Dark Sister is one of the best names for a sword I've ever heard. Along with Ice, outstanding!

He doesn't identify it as Blackfyre, but he notices a sword amongst the stuff Illyrio sends to fAegon. Or was it Illyrio, who explicitly mentions the sword? I'm currently not sure about that (have got only feast on me right now), but there was a sword present when Tyrion and Illyrio parted ways.

Archived