Aegon and Blackfyre

midnight ghost

I don't think it would be a good idea for Aegon to run around waving Blackfyre. Coming with the GC might make some people wonder (Tyrion does, Barristan I'm sure will), waving Blackfyre around would make some people suspicious when last everyone knew it was with Daemon's peeps, so doing both together? Would raise major red flags, they can probably only comfortably explain away one or the other, and obviously the GC is more useful than a sword.

I think he could still make it work for him as long as he loudly and consistently proclaims to have 'reclaimed' the sword, and is the first TRUE Targaryen to hold it since Aegon the Unworthy foolishly gave it to his bastard instead of to his true son Daeron as he should have.

GOOD POINT

The mere fact that an object has been in the wrong hands, even for generations, doesn't mean that it becomes a symbol of the latter holder (unless you let it - it is all a matter of PR or propaganda after all.) For instance, if Aegon or Dany were to lay claim to or assume the Iron Throne, I don't think that anyone would think that they were therefore a Baratheon or a Lannister. The only difference is that the sword is actually called Blackfyre, so the PR job of overcoming that would be slightly tougher.

That was 40 years ago. If Aegon went around brandishing a sword he called Blackfyre who is going to say its a fake? It's not like Barristan could walk up to Aegon, put on his granny glasses, and confirm its authenticity.

In the Mystery Knight, when Daemon Blackfyre raised his sword -- everyone recognized that it wasn't Blackfyre Because of that, he immediately lost most of his supporters.

. It must be a very unique blade & like all my kitchen knives---it is Valyrian steel

No, I understood very well. The last owner of the sword is Maelys Blackfyre and it became symbol of their House. From Daemon to Bittersteel and Maelys, its the symbol of Blackfyre rebellion, so I don`t see how Targaryen heir, of dubious legitimacy could get advantage by wielding Blackfyre sword. It would only deepen the doubts once Dany comes and proclaim him an impostor.

OK my bad, I get you now and yeah I think you could be right.

If Westeros knows the Blackfyre's held the Blackfyre sword last then Aegon wielding it without proof of his legitimacy would easily look like a Blackfyre descendant more so than a Targaryen.

Question.....what about Aegon? how will he feel if he finds out that he is a Blackfyre & I am still not convinced that he is Illyrios' son or a Blackfyre -

There are many and more loose ends here..

I like the Targs and Blackfyres uniting with the GC but think there's too much bad history there,

Aegon---I don't know how to copy the quote from the Mystery Knight but I think of Bloodraven telling Dunk--that it is surprising how many men will follow a dashing claimant to the Throne that sits a horse well.

aegon can be a nobody from lys or a descendant of aerion brightflame or a blackfyre from the female line or he could really be AEGON targaryen.

But there are more hints that point to him being a Blackfyre.

They don't have it. Barristan has it and is hiding it to give to Jon once he founds out he's Rhaegar's son.

I don't think Barristan would stoop to steal from a fallen foe, and if knew the truth about Jon's identity, he would have gone to him instead of Dany.

i think what some people are forgetting is that Blackfyre, regardless of it being the symbol of House Blackfyre, was AEGON THE CONQUEROR'S SWORD. The Blade of the original King of the Seven Kingdoms.

I doubt that people even remember/care about the Blackfyre rebellion besides Barristan.

If some silver-haired boy shows up with a valyrian steel sword with dragon heads on it claiming to be rhaegar's son. I'd believe it.

i think what some people are forgetting is that Blackfyre, regardless of it being the symbol of House Blackfyre, was AEGON THE CONQUEROR'S SWORD. The Blade of the original King of the Seven Kingdoms.

I doubt that people even remember/care about the Blackfyre rebellion besides Barristan.

If some silver-haired boy shows up with a valyrian steel sword with dragon heads on it claiming to be rhaegar's son. I'd believe it.

If he wields the sword and claims to Rhaegar's son, no one in the Seven Kingdoms is going to believe him. Apparently you haven't read the D&E novellas. In the Mystery Knight, it is made pretty clear, that the sword is a symbol for house Blackfyre, for the last 100 years.

He does not bear the sword! If he were his father's son, Bittersteel would have armed him with Blackfyre.

edit:

And when Daemon drew his sword and raised it above his head, every man of them could see it was not Blackfyre. "We'll make another Redgrass Field today," the pretender promised.

The R+L=J supporters believe that the KG knew about Lyanna pregnancy... and Barristan was the LCoKG.

Some of KG knew - namely three of them at the ToJ. It was not widely known - and Barristan explicitly says Rhaegar never trusted him like he trusted his best friend Arthur Dayne. Besides, Lord Commander of KG was Gerold Hightower (also present at ToJ), not Barristan Selmy. Barristan was promoted to LC after the Battle of Trident by Robert.

Archived