Dany's betrayals

Ygrain

Alright, so if the prophecy is true, she should be betrayed three times - but for a person in her position, three betrayals is quite a low number. So far, she has actually been betrayed at least four times by now - Mirri, Jorah, Brown Ben, the Green Grace...

However, Mirri and Jorah happened before the prophecy, so do they count at all? Or, are the prophecied betrayals to be marked by something more specific than just switching sides, costing Dany something she holds dear? Brown Ben's betrayal didn't really cost her a thing, and rather than for gold, he did it to save his ass when he perceived her as the losing side, whereas Mirri Maz Duur cut really deep.

I think that the prophecized betrayal are yet to happen, and the one looming ahead is for blood, by the Green Grace. Jorah, with his doomed love for Dany, seems a future candidate for the betrayal for love, and were I to pick a candidate for gold, I think we all know which guy that would be. So, I'm wondering... are her future betrayals somehow foreshadowed by the ones that already happened? The trust for an older motherly figure of Mirri is reflected in Galazza Galare; the underlying physical desire from Jorah who was betraying her for gold foreshadows Daario, but I'm not sure what to make of the betrayal for love - unless I am wrong in the estimate with Jorah and the one betraying for love would be Tyrion, as the ugliest man in the world and the most beautiful woman in the world is just asking for some tragedy. I still do not see the foreshadowing, though. Thoughts?

I think as you said the betrayals are going to cost Dany big time and take away things she holds dear to her. I don't think they are foreshadowed and I don't think Jorah's counts at the moment or Brown Ben's, because they did not really hurt her.

I definitely think Mirri was the first of these and the betrayal for blood, which took her son and husband.

The betrayal for gold is probably going to be Daario, but I don't have many ideas about this.

I believe the betrayal for love is going to be Tyrion too, but not for love of her. Tyrion is the man, who knows how to kill dragons and I always felt he will betray her for love of Jaime, which will cost her Drogon.

The betrayal for gold is probably going to be Daario, but I don't have many ideas about this.

Short of stabbing her in the gut during a tryst, I don't see how Daario would be in a position to betray Dany on the scale Miri did. She's still in love with him, but their little romance was basically over after she refused his "red wedding" idea.

I believe the betrayal for love is going to be Tyrion too, but not for love of her. Tyrion is the man, who knows how to kill dragons and I always felt he will betray her for love of Jaime, which will cost her Drogon.

...What the hell? Why Jaimie, specifically? And why Drogon?? Poor Drogon! What did he ever do to you?

Short of stabbing her in the gut during a tryst, I don't see how Daario would be in a position to betray Dany on the scale Miri did. She's still in love with him, but their little romance was basically over after she refused his "red wedding" idea.

There are still other people she cares for or will, and his betrayal might cause their deaths.

And why Drogon?? Poor Drogon! What did he ever do to you?

Her dragons are her children. Three betrayals, each costing her a dragon?

There are still other people she cares for or will, and his betrayal might cause their deaths.

Who will she care for more then her husband and child? Daario is still just a sellsword, after all.

Her dragons are her children. Three betrayals, each costing her a dragon?

If Mirri was one of the betrayals (and I think it was), then that's one down and she still has three dragons...

Plus the Dragons have a job to do: Fighting the Others. No matter who controls them, for them to die because of human politicking would be a huge waste.

She was still thinking about him in her last chapter. His betrayal could cost her one of her handmaidens. She is not over Daario but, this was me brainstorming. I am not sure about this.

...What the hell? Why Jaimie, specifically? And why Drogon?? Poor Drogon! What did he ever do to you?

Jaime is the only person Tyrion still loves in Westeros. Drogon is the dragon closest to Dany and the one she will probably ride personally.

Could be the betrayal for love turns out to be the dragons turning on her.

If that was going to happen it already would have,I don't think the Dragons would "Betray" her they might get used against her though.

If that was going to happen it already would have,I don't think the Dragons would "Betray" her they might get used against her though.

Hmm, yeah. I was thinking about them turning on her via magic horn or powerful warg. I guess that's not really "betrayal" though.

Who will she care for more then her husband and child? Daario is still just a sellsword, after all.

And she still cares for him a lot - should he be a casualty for GG's betrayal, Dany wouldn't take it well.

And if she falls in love with another, then she would be devastated if he died for Daario's betrayal.

If Mirri was one of the betrayals (and I think it was), then that's one down and she still has three dragons...

However, Mirri precedes the prophecy, and "three betrayals you will know" might either cover her whole life, or specifically the period from the prophecy on. If the latter, then Mirri doesn't count.

Plus the Dragons have a job to do: Fighting the Others. No matter who controls them, for them to die because of human politicking would be a huge waste.

... provided that fighting the Others is the very end of the book and nothing else happens after that. I wouldn't rely on this as they reason why the dragons absolutely must survive.

Daario has had plenty of opportunity to betray her for gold and has stayed loyal. If he were to betray her, I think it would be out of anger that she married Hizdhar and used him as a hostage.

Missandei could be the betrayal for love, if, say, Dany's enemies took her brother captive and used that as a lever. She and Dany love each other like sisters.

Short side question: Do we even know that these will be cases where Dany is betrayed, instead of betraying someone? For me, the cases of Dany betraying people (burning MMD for her service, tricking her way to control of the Unsullied) are much more visceral and glaring than any of the cases where Dany has been betrayed herself.

Short side question: Do we even know that these will be cases where Dany is betrayed, instead of betraying someone? For me, the cases of Dany betraying people (burning MMD for her service, tricking her way to control of the Unsullied) are much more visceral and glaring than any of the cases where Dany has been betrayed herself.

As it's just "treasons will you know", betraying seems to be as likely as being betrayed to me. I would expect all three to be in the same direction though (it's just messy otherwise).

I like this direction, but burning MMD for her service? I wouldn't call that a betrayal on Dany's part, personally. And as someone above noted, it's 3 treasons will she know, which implies some level of royalty. If we are going this direction, I would say:

1) Betrayed Khal Drogo by insisting MMD heal him, once for love

2) Betrayed King Hizdar by leaving him to die in Mereen with Barristan after she left with Drogo, once for gold

3) Betrays Jon Snow (assuming Jon is KitN or something), once for blood.

Perhaps it will be by Aegon in the future, for blood. If he is in fact a Targ, then they are bound by blood. And they both want to rule... their entire lives have been shaped with the one goal of returning to King's Landing (Dany not as a ruler at first, because of Viserys, but that has since changed). Should the dance of the dragons be their war against each other, then perhaps this is the blood betrayal.

Archived