Why did Robb ride south?

KingOfQuarth

I don't get why Robb went south after Ned's execution? He had no interest in the crown, why not head north again to be free, he has Jaime to trade for Sansa and Arya and there is no way Joffrey could take the north.

If revenge is the only motive for his war then its just another reason why Robb Stark was a bad battle commander

The Riverlands. They're virtually impossible to hold; he should have just abandoned them. Unfortunately, the Northern lords and the River lords crowned him soon after Ned's execution anyway.

I don't get why Robb went south after Ned's execution? He had no interest in the crown, why not head north again to be free, he has Jaime to trade for Sansa and Arya and there is no way Joffrey could take the north.

If revenge is the only motive for his war then its just another reason why Robb Stark was a bad battle commander

Robb was already on the South when Ned was executed. The Battle of Whispering Wood where Jaime was captured happened before Ned's death.

Robb didn't rode south after Ned's execution or to become King. The first reason for riding South was to free Ned and help the Riverlands that had fallen prey of Lannister men.

Due to the power vacuum that followed Robert and Ned's deaths things escalated pretty quickly to a point of no return- the River lords and the northmen acclaiming Robb as their King. Once crowned it was impossible for him just to ditch the Riverlands. They were not only natural allies through Cat, but they pretty much became Robb's subjects when they accepted him as King. In any case, thanks to Joffrey's idiocy and LF's doings war was pretty much unstoppable.

As others said, the riverlands were being plundered and Robb probably felt a duty to protect the land of his mothers. He eventually probably planned on either taking King's Landing or Casterly Rock in order to finish off the Lannisters. I would also add that he probably expected either the Arryns and/or Greyjoys to have taken up his side AND for Renly to have occupied much of the Lannister attention thus making his war not that unfeasible. Had the Greyjoys and Arryn's taken up his cause he would have had half of Westeros, 100,000+ soldiers, a fleet, and a whole host of commanders (himself, Blackfish, Royce, Victarion). Independence would not be that difficult in that case.

Robb didn't rode south after Ned's execution or to become King. The first reason for riding South was to free Ned and help the Riverlands that had fallen prey of Lannister men.

Due to the power vacuum that followed Robert and Ned's deaths things escalated pretty quickly to a point of no return- the River lords and the northmen acclaiming Robb as their King. Once crowned it was impossible for him just to ditch the Riverlands. They were not only natural allies through Cat, but they pretty much became Robb's subjects when they accepted him as King. In any case, thanks to Joffrey's idiocy and LF's doings war was pretty much unstoppable.

I do agree that Robb was responsible for the Riverlands, especially after being declared King. In hindsight, I can see how it looks that perhaps he should have done a bit more to protect the North itself, but then again, I suppose he didn't count on first Theon's mission not going as planned, then Robb himself not marrying a Frey as planned. I will say, it certainly seems that Robb and the Starks always seem to pay a much higher price for circumstances that advance beyond and out of their control.

I do agree that Robb was responsible for the Riverlands, especially after being declared King. In hindsight, I can see how it looks that perhaps he should have done a bit more to protect the North itself, but then again, I suppose he didn't count on first Theon's mission not going as planned, then Robb himself not marrying a Frey as planned. I will say, it certainly seems that Robb and the Starks always seem to pay a much higher price for circumstances that advance beyond and out of their control.

theons mission had no effect on whether or not balon was going to take the north. Thats a very common misconception on here

It's discussed in depth in the last, I think, Cat chapter of AGOT. For and against suing for peace, long term perspectives, the whole enchilada.

Now that's a weird non sequitur. Whatever his motivations were for continuing the war, they tell nothing of Robb the general, only Robb the politician.

theons mission had no effect on whether or not balon was going to take the north. Thats a very common misconception on here

But it was never Balon's plan to directly attack WF. That was solely on Theon. Everything that befell the castle and its people after he and his few Ironborn took it was pretty much on Theon's. What happened to Bran, Rickon and WF later has a direct impact in Robb and Cat. With one sleeping with Jeyne and the other one releasing the Kingslayer with the hope of recovering her daughters.

But it was never Balon's plan to directly attack WF. That was solely on Theon. Everything that befell the castle and its people after he and his few Ironborn took it was pretty much on Theon's. What happened to Bran, Rickon and WF later has a direct impact in Robb and Cat. With one sleeping with Jeyne and the other one releasing the Kingslayer with the hope of recovering her daughters.

thats correct, but in relation to the post I responded to, that is neither here nor there. The poster I responded to said robb didnt guard the north well because he let theon go to pyke. Either way, balon was taking the neck. Who knows what may have happened after that? Robb couldnt go north at that point.

Seriously, I've been thinking the same thing for so long! As soon as Ned was executed Robb should have just taken Jaime and gone home, then sent out the ravens saying the north is now independent and if the Lannisters didn't like it, they come up there themselves. Anyone from the south would be stupid to fight the Northmen on their own turf, especially with winter coming soon! They would likely either freeze or starve.

But, yes, I think hubris likely played a big role in Robb's decision-making.

Seriously, I've been thinking the same thing for so long! As soon as Ned was executed Robb should have just taken Jaime and gone home, then sent out the ravens saying the north is now independent and if the Lannisters didn't like it, they come up there themselves. Anyone from the south would be stupid to fight the Northmen on their own turf, especially with winter coming soon! They would likely either freeze or starve.

so he should just leave his uncle and grandpa to their fate?

Then the riverlands would be raided, the North's ports blockaded and her expatriate businessmen/knights/whomever taken prisoner or massacred. Perhaps Tywin would have given Balon and whatever other raider the right to do as much damage to the North as he liked.

Robb marched south, as Mladen said, way before Ned was executed. The sequence of events went as follows: Ned was imprisoned, Sansa held at court, Arya fled, and his entourage butchered. The Stark bannermen were called and most met in WF, deciding to march south to force the Lannisters to free Ned, Sansa, and perhaps Arya (they didn't know).

It wasn't until they started marching that Cat met up with Robb and they devised their diversion scheme that led to the victory at the Whispering Wood.

so he should just leave his uncle and grandpa to their fate?

Exactly. Cat had a hand in the decision, but basically at that point they knew Edmure had been routed and Hoster was stuck in Riverrun under siege by Jaime's crew. Once they were past the Twins, they went ahead to deal with Riverrun. That's why the Northern forces sent to meet Tywin was essentially a diversion for the the real task, dealing with Jaime's forces.

The Lannisters still had Sansa, and for all Robb knew, Arya. He wouldn't have let that go. He wanted a possible trade of Jaime for Sansa/Arya, before Cat let Jaime free.

Then the riverlands would be raided, the North's ports blockaded and her expatriate businessmen/knights/whomever taken prisoner or massacred. Perhaps Tywin would have given Balon and whatever other raider the right to do as much damage to the North as he liked.

But he was planning on going north right before he died. Might it not have made all the difference if he had done it earlier?

The Lannisters still had Sansa, and for all Robb knew, Arya. He wouldn't have let that go. He wanted a possible trade of Jaime for Sansa/Arya, before Cat let Jaime free.

He actually did let that go. He refused to trade Jaime.

[

I'd say that's wording. Okay, I could reword it. Theon's mission didn't go according to plan because Balon already had plans of his own. I don't get that it's such a giant difference.

Archived