Oberyn Martel has been cast

stanniswillwin

I don't know the guy's work as I've never seen Burn Notice, but he doesn't look like I would have imagined him to be - he kind of looks like an Hispanic Liam Neeson. I'm slightly worried as The Red Viper is my second character crush I've had in the series, but I trust D & D as they got it so right with Tom Wlaschiha for my first character crush, Jaqen H'ghar - God, I feel like such a teenager admitting this...

After scrolling down the Oberyn Martell tag in Tumblr for some time, I'm so glad to see this forum is (yet) not as infected with bullshit.

I don't know this actor at all, but I can't imagine why he should be such a bad choice. The casting team has disappointed fans since the making of season one, but new actors have always proven themselves to us on screen, so... D&D chose him, he'll be fine.

I already saw a "in character" version of him, someone had combined this http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2013/06/MV5BMTMwNTkwNzcwMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODAyMTk5NA@@._V1._SX399_SY600_.jpg with the Oberyn Martell artwork (http://awoiaf.wester...ryn_Martell.jpg) by Amoka. It looked nice to me. I can no longer find the picture, but I'd be very glad if someone who can throws a link in this thread.

--- but I trust D & D as they got it so right with Tom Wlaschiha for my first character crush, Jaqen H'ghar - God, I feel like such a teenager admitting this...

Haha, there's nothing shameful in it! Tom Wlaschiha/Jaqen was my first TV crush in years. I think the last time I was twelve and it was Troy from High School Musical, so this is definitely an improvement.

(//edit. Messing up with links, like a boss...)

Not my ideal Oberyn at first glance, Oded Fehr is what I always envisioned him to look like (although less handsome). But yeah, performance is all that really matters, and I'm sure this guy can pull it off.

The more I think of it, the more the "South American mestizo" angle on the Dornish makes sense, much more than the middle-eastern angle. And every clip I see of the guy has charm and fire in good measure.

It's not what I'd anticipated, but I think this will be a much more interesting take on the Dornish than what most people had imagined, kudos to D&D.

I actually think the appearance fits. He looks really good. Remember that Oberyn is in his 40s (mid-40s... I dr?) My question for those of you familiar with his work, what will his accent sound like on screen. Will he be able to imitate various English accents or will this mean that Dornish characters have a Latin accent?

IIRC he spoke with an american accent in Buffy..

I actually think the appearance fits. He looks really good. Remember that Oberyn is in his 40s (mid-40s... I dr?) My question for those of you familiar with his work, what will his accent sound like on screen. Will he be able to imitate various English accents or will this mean that Dornish characters have a Latin accent?

Few pages back I posted a link to an audio version he did of a children's book.

I'm happy enough with the look of the actor. Unlike most, I always pictured the Dornish as Hispanic looking and am glad they went in that direction. I suppose this means that they will also be casting Hispanic actors for the roles of Doran and Arianne?

Hi all, first time poster.

He doesn't look how I imagined him from reading ASoS but then, very few of the characters onscreen do. The guy who played Benjen Stark is far more how I pictured Ned than Sean Bean is, but Sean Bean did a great job, regardless. Likewise Gwendoline Christie as Brienne - I pictured someone far less pretty and with a more mannish figure, but Gwendoline Christie is doing such a fantastic job I don't mind. And listening to old episodes of APOIAF it's funny hearing the guys rage about the fact that Mark Addy doesn't look like what people imagined Robert to look like, and then start praising his performance once the show started.

So even though Pedro pascal doesn't look much like I imagined the Viper, and even though the Viper is my absolute favourite character in the whole series and I'm terrified they'll get it wrong, I'm prepared to give him a shot. Honestly, if they can do the fight scene well, I will not worry about one single other thing in the show after it, because that's the one thing I've been waiting for since the show began

:)

I already saw a "in character" version of him, someone had combined this http://oyster.ignimg...X399_SY600_.jpg with the Oberyn Martell artwork (http://awoiaf.wester...ryn_Martell.jpg) by Amoka. It looked nice to me. I can no longer find the picture, but I'd be very glad if someone who can throws a link in this thread.

The resemblance is really good. I'm looking forward to see him acting.

I've always believed that Dorne was more based off of Medieval Spain than the Middle East, especially given their history of being invaded by a foreign people (The Rhoynar) and eventually blending their cultures together. So I've never envisioned any of them to be Middle Eastern in looks. I see them as looking like people from the Andalusia region in Spain than anything else.

Archived