Lightbringer, Stormbringer?

Roadside Rose

Does anyone know what the Lightbringer does? (Assuming 'Lightbringer' is a sword)

I know how it was forged. And it most likely will be used to defeat the Others.

But what's so special about this sword?

And how is it different from another sword?

I believe it's more powerful and has some magical properties, but I fail to understand what kind.

----------------------------------------------------------

I was reading about the Stormbringer sword, found in Michael Moorcock's fiction books. And this sword can cut through any material not protected by magic, or swallow the soul of a human and kill them. The sword has a mind of it's own and feeds on the souls of those it kills. The person yielding the sword is filled with bloodlust. It's a cursed sword. It is huge black, covered with runes carved into it's blade.

I was wondering if 'Lightbringer' is cursed like the stormbringer sword?

As far as I know, Lightbringer was just a very powerful sword designed to fight against the Great Other and its thralls. In relation to a curse, Azor Azhai did have to kill his wife to temper the blade, so there is that...

And a Lion. First he tried to temper the blade in water, then with a lion's heart and finally he "tempered" it with his wife's body and her soul.

slightly Off topic:

Maybe the Lion is a clue that a famous ancient Lannister died during the long night while fighting the others maybe stopping their attacks for a while (yeah I believe in the "Lightbringer is just a metaphorical sword" theory)

And a Lion. First he tried to temper the blade in water, then with a lion's heart and finally he "tempered" it with his wife's body and her soul.

slightly Off topic:

Maybe the Lion is a clue that a famous ancient Lannister died during the long night while fighting the others maybe stopping their attacks for a while (yeah I believe in the "Lightbringer is just a metaphorical sword" theory)

Did the Lannisters exist in Westeros back then? I'm not sure if the timeline would match up.

But what's so special about this sword?

And how is it different from another sword?

Well according to the legend, it had a magic flame encompassing it, set from the heart-blood of Nissa Nissa, which seems to have been handy in defeating the Others. As i said, this is from a dubious legend.

Did the Lannisters exist in Westeros back then? I'm not sure if the timeline would match up.

Well Lann the clever founded his house during the Age of Heroes, during which the Long night happened, so it is quite possible that some Lannisters were fighting the Others.

A firesword that can kill Others is better than a steel sword that will shatter on impact.

But I believe, that Lightbringer is a legend. I like the theory, that it's actually a metaphor for the Night's Watch. After all, their vows contain the words "I am the sword in the darkness. [...] I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn"

With Jon the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, you could call him "wielder of Lightbringer," fits nicely if he's Azor Ahai reborn.

But of course it's possible, that Lightbringer is an actual, physical, totally awesome firesword.

But I believe, that Lightbringer is a legend. I like the theory, that it's actually a metaphor for the Night's Watch. After all, their vows contain the words "I am the sword in the darkness. [...] I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn"

It's very telling that the final thing Azor Ahai sacrifices is his wife - a sacrifice that all brothers of the Watch must make.

Archived