Moments of Foreshadowing 5

Fire Eater

Older threads:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

If this hasn't already been mentioned

On the bottom shelf behind a row of salves in squat clay jars he found a vial of indigo glass [the strangler], no larger than his little finger.

Foreshadowing LF using the strangler as well as possibly it being used on him.

And then her [Asha] back came up hard against a tree, and she could dance no more.

Asha had walked out with Aly Mormont to have a closer look at its slitted red eyes and bloody mouth. It's only sap, she'd told herself, the red sap that flows inside these weirwoods. But her eyes were unconvinced; seeing was believing, and what they saw was frozen blood.

Asha will die in the Battle of Ice when she finds herself backed against the weirwood tree, and her blood is spilled onto the weirwood. Given that the title of her last POV was "The Sacrifice" even though she wasn't being sacrificed, this hints that she will be an unintentional blood sacrifice with her life being used to pay for Jon's.

Older threads:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

If this hasn't already been mentioned

On the bottom shelf behind a row of salves in squat clay jars he found a vial of indigo glass [the strangler], no larger than his little finger.

Foreshadowing LF using the strangler as well as possibly it being used on him.

And then her [Asha] back came up hard against a tree, and she could dance no more.

Asha had walked out with Aly Mormont to have a closer look at its slitted red eyes and bloody mouth. It's only sap, she'd told herself, the red sap that flows inside these weirwoods. But her eyes were unconvinced; seeing was believing, and what they saw was frozen blood.

Asha will die in the Battle of Ice when she finds herself backed against the weirwood tree, and her blood is spilled onto the weirwood. Given that the title of her last POV was "The Sacrifice" even though she wasn't being sacrificed, this hints that she will be an unintentional blood sacrifice with her life being used to pay for Jon's.

Beautiful :) I think that having LF snuffed by the same means that Joffrey was offed would be a kind of poetic justice.

Don't know if this came up yet:

"Don't make me rue the day I raped your mother" by Roose Bolton will lead to Ramsay doing exactly this: making Roose rue the day he raped Ramsay's mother, i.e. Ramsay will kill Roose (btw, a Roose Bolton prologue for TWoW would be awesome).

I'm sure this was brought up in the earlier threads and I know it's been raised in the threads questioning whether Jon is dead, but I just came across is again in Clash--where Jon thinks that if he lets his sword hand stiffen and grow clumsy it will be the end of him.

Cersei in AFFC pg691 (paperback)

Thinking about sending Loras to kill Bronn after Ser Balman failed:

...That would be delicious. If the gods were good, each of them would kill the other, like Ser Arryk and Ser Erryk...

Ser Arryk and Erryk were twin brothers who slew each other in a battle in the Dance of Dragons, which seems to foreshadow Jaime and Cersei killing each other at some point as well.

Not sure if I added this to the foreshadowing thread, but aDwD epilogue, Kevan Lannister: "Littlefinger had a habit of conjuring dragons from the air".

The air and Eyrie... foreshadowing of Dany's landing spot and LF's role in her landing?

Cersei in AFFC pg691 (paperback)

Thinking about sending Loras to kill Bronn after Ser Balman failed:

Ser Arryk and Erryk were twin brothers who slew each other in a battle in the Dance of Dragons, which seems to foreshadow Jaime and Cersei killing each other at some point as well.

To that I'll add a piece I found a while ago:

"Prince Aemon the Dragonknight cried the day Princess Naerys wed his brother Aegon," Sansa Stark said, "and the twins Ser Arryk and Ser Erryk with tears on their cheeks after each had given the other a mortal wound."

We know Prince Aemon the Dragonknight and Princess Naerys is a parallel for Jaime and Cersei; I think the latter part of Sansa's sentence foreshadows them killing each other.

To that I'll add a piece I found a while ago:

"Prince Aemon the Dragonknight cried the day Princess Naerys wed his brother Aegon," Sansa Stark said, "and the twins Ser Arryk and Ser Erryk with tears on their cheeks after each had given the other a mortal wound."

We know Prince Aemon the Dragonknight and Princess Naerys is a parallel for Jaime and Cersei; I think the latter part of Sansa's sentence foreshadows them killing each other.

this looks promising....

From Sansa's Chapter, a Storm of Swords

She threw back the shutters and shivered as gooseprickles rose along her arms. There were clouds massing in the eastern sky, pierced by shafts of sunlight. They look like two huge castles afloat in the morning sky. Sansa could see their walls of tumbled stone, their mighty keeps and barbicans. Wispy banners swirled from atop their towers and reached for the fast-fading stars. The sun was coming up behind them, and she watched them go from black to grey to a thousand shades of rose and gold and crimson. Soon the wind mushed them together, and there was only one castle where there had been two.

She heard the door open as her maids brought the hot water for her bath. They were both new to her service; Tyrion said the women who’d tended to her previously had all been Cersei’s spies, just as Sansa had always suspected. “Come see, ” she told them. “There’s a castle in the sky.”

They came to have a look. “It’s made of gold. ” Shae had short dark hair and bold eyes. She did all that was asked of her, but sometimes she gave Sansa the most insolent looks. “A castle all of gold, there’s a sight I’d like to see.”

“A castle, is it?” Brella had to squint. “That tower’s tumbling over, looks like. It’s all ruins, that is.”

So, two towers... when the sun rises they change colors from "black" to "grey" to "rose, gold, and crimson." Then they crash together leaving one castle, "made of gold." Then it tumbles over all in ruins.

Could this be a description of the Twins and House Frey? While I don't know whose colors are "black," grey is a color of House Stark. House Frey side with Robb Stark, before the Red Wedding. And then sided with Tywin Lannister, whose colors are crimson and gold (not sure about 'rose').

The remaining description might be the fate of the Twins, destroyed and left with one standing, before it to is ruined.

Also, has anyone ever thought of the fate of Ice as a portent of things to come? Ice was the ancestral sword of House Stark, taken by Tywin Lannister it was forged into two blades and given a new coloring, it was suppose to be crimson but ended up as 'waves of night and blood upon a steely shore.'

So, two towers... when the sun rises they change colors from "black" to "grey" to "rose, gold, and crimson." Then they crash together leaving one castle, "made of gold." Then it tumbles over all in ruins.

Could this be a description of the Twins and House Frey? While I don't know whose colors are "black," grey is a color of House Stark. House Frey side with Robb Stark, before the Red Wedding. And then sided with Tywin Lannister, whose colors are crimson and gold (not sure about 'rose').

The remaining description might be the fate of the Twins, destroyed and left with one standing, before it to is ruined.

Also, has anyone ever thought of the fate of Ice as a portent of things to come? Ice was the ancestral sword of House Stark, taken by Tywin Lannister it was forged into two blades and given a new coloring, it was suppose to be crimson but ended up as 'waves of night and blood upon a steely shore.'

Ice was the ancestral sword of House Stark, taken by Tywin Lannister it was forged into two blades and given a new coloring, it was suppose to be crimson but ended up as 'waves of night and blood upon a steely shore.' Black and Red, the color of House Targaryen.

Oathkeeper, one of the two blades forged from Ice, was given to Brienne of Tarth by Jaime Lannister, with the promise to find Lady Catelyn's daughters and take them safely to her.

So I think Sansa Stark, House Stark's daughter and House Lannister's daughter-in-law, will get Oathkeeper and give it to Jon Snow, whom turns out to be the son of Rhargar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark.

Seven, he [Theon at Moat Cailin] thought, seven fingers. A man can do with seven fingers Seven is a sacred number.

Another foreshadowing nugget that the Faith Militant will come north to fight Stannis and the Northmen with the much of the fighting being at Moat Cailin.

I think the quote demonstrates the timeline from the demise of the different houses.

THe first being the black castle, then the grey castle (Starks), to a battle between rose, crimson and gold (tyrell, targaryen, and lannister) to where the final house that wins being gold (Lannister). It ends with this tower crumbling. It would be interesting if this "Song" ends with the loss of all houses (including targaryen)....as If GRRM is illustrating that the balance of Ice and Fire has no need for sentient organisms to maintain its "song".

Effectively, we must maintain/manage our existence as a species to give the balance of "ice and fire" meaning. (to give it a SONG)

Reminds me of a book by Leon Lederman (Physicist, University of Chicago) called The God Particle. At the end he is on a beach cursing at the stars for their secrets and the difficulty in discovering the laws that govern them: he ends the book conjecturing that without our sentience, the universe has no existence and that our awareness gives it a name or meaning.

The color 'rose' is a pinkish color, so it could represent the Boltons.

I think the quote demonstrates the timeline from the demise of the different houses.

THe first being the black castle, then the grey castle (Starks), to a battle between rose, crimson and gold (tyrell, targaryen, and lannister) to where the final house that wins being gold (Lannister). It ends with this tower crumbling.

I think that's pretty much it, all I'd say was that the rose, gold and crimson describe the initial Lannister-Tyrell alliance pre-wedding(s) then Margery becomes a Lannister (castles crash together to form one all gold) and then the Lannisters' power "crumbles" (thanks to Cersei). I don't understand why the grey castle would come after the black though, since it was House Baratheon in power, not Stark. Maybe the Black was for the Baratheon Stag and the grey was from when Ned was Hand of the King.

ETA: Don't think it describes the demise of the houses though, just who was in power

the ancient prophecy shall be fulfilled. Your dragon shall awaken and spread his stony wings.

stone wings enfolded the smith and armory

Jon takes up residence in Donal Noye's old quarters at the smith and armory, hinting that he is the dragon in the prophecy.

"The Magnar's a lord on Skagos," Noye said. "There were Skagossans at Eastwatch when I first came to the Wall, I remember talk of him."

Davos will land with Rickon and the Skagosi at Eastwatch-by-the-Sea.

Archived