So did Stannis basicly win the war of five kings

Mr.Black

I agree with this. But what happens to Stannis when Dani shows up? He is so honourable, I think he will bend the knee for her. Even HE will have to admit she has the better claim, and better claims is all that he's about, isn't it? He didn't WANT to be king, I thought, but considered his the best claim, so decided to grin and bear it. He'd make an awesome hand for Dani, and Sir Barristan the head of her Queen's Guard. Doesn't leave much of a spot for Jon in this scenario though. Or this new so-called boy king Jon Connington's bringing in. I gotta think about this some more....

I doubt it. She only has a better claim from Targ-supporters point of view, who view Robert as an usurper. But Stannis is not one of those. And he doesn't say that he doesn't want the throne, he says that wanting has nothing to do with him and that the law makes him king. So king is what he will be. He also found out that waving with claims doesn'get you the iron throne, but that is has to be won/earned. Dany will find out the same, Aegon too. Few people will just bend the knee to them just because they up, and last of all Stannis.

Yes of course Stannis won the war of the five kings - why else would he be sitting in the snow outside Winterfell while his soldiers surreptitiously try to eat each other?

This is so funny and deserving of recognition it forces me to give up lurking for a minute.

Well, he sure as hell won it more than the late Robb, the late Joff, the late Balon, and the late Renly...

All that means is they died first. As has been said already only one cause (that being Renly) has actually gone down the swanny. The rest stil have life in them. I think some people think that because of the title all you had to do was kill the other four original players. Sad to say that's not how wars work. Does history record Caesar's victory in his civil war against Pompey as the moment Pompey got croaked in Egypt? No, it doesn't, because members of Pompey's faction were still in the field. Stannis or anybody else will only win outright when they sit on the IT as uncontested king (or queen). As has also been pointed out this war might end with no outright winner at all.

• 7 months later...

I'm going to say this to everybody saying that Stannis would have to deal with a united Lannister-Tyrell front in the south: the Tyrells straight-up murdered Joffrey "Baratheon."

The way I see it, the only thing keeping Stannis off of the Iron Throne after he kicks Roose Bolton's teeth in (they are both shrewd, cold tacticians, but the North remembers that the Bolton's suck) is the arrival of the Golden Company and Dany's (SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN SOONER OR LATER) arrival in the Seven Kingdoms.

It's going to be interesting to see how Stannis reacts to the trueborn rulers of Westeros returning to claim their throne.

Oh, and for everyone who says that Stannis should have gone to Bitterbridge... well, I can give two reasons why he would not do that.

The first reason is simple--where is he going to put his fleet? It's far too stormy to keep them moored outside of Storm's End, and, if they were sent somewhere else, say, KL to blockade, or Dragonstone for safe-keeping, then Stannis would be left without those forces for his pincer maneuver in the final KL attack.

The second reason is probably the more important one. The distance from Storm's End is less than the distance to Bitterbridge. Did Stannis know about the host at Bitterbridge? I can't see how he wouldn't. If not before the turning of banners at Storm's End, then SOMEONE in his new 50,000 strong army would undoubtedly have told him about the other 70,000+ that were left behind. Stannis made a gamble here: either march his army directly to KL, take it, then worry about the other army, OR, march all the way out to Bitterbridge (over a hundred leagues) to then try to persuade a possibly hostile army (that outnumbers his by a good amount) to join him. And, in that hundred leagues, the Bitterbridge host could have moved away, or moved on to capture KL for all Stannis knew--the distance from Storm's End to Bitterbridge is far greater than the distance from Bitterbridge to KL AND the Bitterbridge host has a road to follow.

As such, I attribute the defeat on the Blackwater to Edmure Tully meeting Tywin's host, and Littlefinger being pretty good at his job.

• 2 weeks later...

The Overlords of the Reach, North, the Vale, Dorne, the West, the Riverlands and the Crownlands all recognize Tommen Baratheon, Joffreys heir, as the King of Westeros.

Stannis has lost his holding of Dragsonstone and Storms End and is currently a Landless pretender to the Throne.

There are people who state that officially WW II did not end till 1990 because of some technicality or some other document was not signed. In truth we all know it ended in 1945.

Archived