Galactus watches Buffy: And it's all Datepalm's fault

Galactus

So, DP was outraged, nay, incensed, that I hadn't watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer. (apart from like half an episode) so she badgered me into watching it. So I will.

And maybe comment a bit on it? Or something. Not going to do any kind of deep critique or anything.

My knowlede of Buffy is extremely limited, basically I've seen maybe three episodes in total, but more like snippets of tend episodes. That and the fact that Buffy has colonized tvtropes is my only sources on the series thus far.

Season 1: Death List:

50's Guy (RIP!)

Jesse (Vampirized)

Bouncer with Moobs (Eaten by Luke)

Unnamed girl (eaten by Luke)

Amy's Mom (Statueized

Homeless Guy (Vampire Scissored)

Science Teacher (mantis'ed

Five people on a bus (killed by the Sons of Aurelius)

Herbert the Pig (eaten by Xander possessed by hyenas)

Principal Flutie (eaten by hyena possessed students)

Dave and Fritz (killed by the Internet)

Blonde Ballerina named Emily (lost her heart to a demon)

Morgan (Brainless)

Kevin (Died watching cartoons)

3 other guys (cartoons kill!)

Total number of dead: 21 humans, 1 pig.

Season 2 Death List

Sheila's two boy toys (they had neck marks so I assume they died)

Sheila herslef (Eaten by Drusilla)

Random Guy at the PT (Killd by Spike)

Glases guy (dragged through window)

Rodney who doesen't know not to touch museum stuff (strangled by mummy)

Ampata the Exchange Student (Mummified)

Inca Guardia (Mummified)

Ford (vampirized, then staked)

Lenin (killed by aerobics)

Buffy's Nieghbour (killed by Skin care salesman)

Biker-dude (Skating accident)

Security Guard (Hit with a pick)

Smoking Woman (eaten by Angelus)

Racist Caricature of a Romani man (killed by Angelus)

Random Dude (Judged and Found Wanting)

Theresa Klussmeyer (Eaten by Angelus)

Girl (Eaten by Angelus)

Ms. Calendar (Neck broken)

Dr. Backer (Invisibly Mauled)

Tina (Childhood death)

Ms. Frank (killed by imaginary gun)

Nurse (Eaten by swim team)

Coach (hoist by his own swim team)

1860's priest (killed by Angelus)

Museum dude (eaten by Drusilla)

Shirtless dude (eaten by Angelus)

Kendra (Throt slit by Drusilla)

28 deaths, Angelus by far being the most frequent cause of death.

Episode 1: Welcom to the Hellmouth

First thoughts: "Hellmouth" is a silly word. To be fair, as far as "Signifcant terms of occult significance" "slayer" Isn't all that great either.

Also, whoah, did that guy in the beginning escape from the 50's or something? He looks like he's from the set of Grease. (maybe he's a 50's vampire?)

Nope, the girl he's with was the vampire. Damnit, that leaves his hairdo without explanation!

Intro is very 90's.

Charisma Carpenter remains an awesome name, she should become a superhero, the alliteration demands it!

In scary dream sequences it's more scary if book titles ae written in foreign.

Buffy still does not sound like a person's name to me.

SMG's cheeks are less scary than they become later on.

Skateboarding? Really?

Bookish girl (Willow?) is chatting with non-bookish smarmy guy who I don't recognize. Allyson Hannigan is adorable. (she's adorable in How I met your Mother too)

I can sense The Whedon in the dialogue. "All the kids are free to call me Bob..." "Bob..." "...But they don't." It's enjoyable. (by all rights Whedon should be a shoe-in for writing Spider-man)

Ah, so that's Xander. I'm trying not to call him "90's guy"

They're doing their best to tick of all the "US high school clichés" boxes.

Heh, the library gag was funny.

Heh, obviously I'm not the only one who thinks "Buffy" is a weird name.

Someone hid 50's guy in a gym locker!

Really, the dialogue is so cutesty-snarky it sets my teeth on edge.

Xander is grating thus far, I've head he improves though.

I do like that she's already killed vampies and stuff. Gets that part out of the way.

Nice Evil Lair Tomb Thingie.

I really don't like the entire Rubber Face Vampire thing this series has going.

Fight scene! (i like the handstand)

Obvious Vampire Dude has a really weird jacket.

Is the suspiciously apropos band acting as commentary going to be a thing?

They're doing a fairly decent handwave for exposition.

Now the music turned into something reminiscient of V:TM Bloodlines Club music. (or more likel, the reverse)

Whoah, guy rising from a pool of blood.

Okay, why torches AND candles? You'd think one or the other would suffice.

Fight scene in a tomb, etc. etc. bad guy seems to have a priest theme.

Death Tally: (undead don't count, I intend to check out how depopulate Sunnydale gets towards the end of the series)

50's Guy

So verdict: Not bad. It's snarky and fun, if a bit cliché at this stage. It definitely has potential.

Welcome to 1997. Interestingly, Stargate: SG1 premiered the same year.

Xander is grating thus far, I've head he improves though.

Ehhhhh...

The first season isn't the greatest, though the second is a vast improvement and the third is even better. It's been a *long* time since I've seen any episodes, though, and I'm not sure how well it will have aged for me. Angel is a much better show in retrospect, or at least one that transcends its time period better.

I don't actually mind the 90's-ness (although it's fun to poke fun at it) in some ways it's nice to see a period you lived through in retrospect.

I actually gave up on Angel sometime around the third or fourth season.

I liked the guy who teamed with Angel at the begining and I was angry when they brought in the rouge demon hunter to replace him. Never really got over that.

As far as Buffy goes, I'm probaly one of the few people out there who thought season 6 was the best by far.

I actually gave up on Angel sometime around the third or fourth season. I liked the guy who teamed with Angel at the begining and I was angry when they brought in the rouge demon hunter to replace him. Never really got over that.

Then you missed when, IMHO, it surpassed Buffy. I like Seasons 4 and 5 of Angel more than any season of Buffy. And the character you are referring to is Wesley, who replaced Doyle. In real life, the actor playing Doyle had substance abuse problems (which he would die of) and had to be fired. If you ask hard core Buffy/Angel fans, many would tell you that Wesley had one of the best character arcs in all of the Buffyverse.

In real life, the actor playing Doyle had substance abuse problems (which he would die of) and had to be fired.
Well, kinda. They also always planned to kill Doyle. It's pretty obvious if you look at his story arc too. It's not like they just decided to bring Wes in.

I absolutely refused to watch this show during its run because of the name. I too thought that Buffy was the most ridiculous thing that I had ever heard and it was going to be about a spoiled and entitled brat and that I would not be able to get into any of the characters.

As a joke, long after the series had ended, I bought the Buffy the Vampire Slayer video game for the XBOX. I didn't even plan on playing it as I just wanted people to laugh while checking out my video game titles. I ran out of games to play and threw it in one day and it just happened to be the best game released for that console. It introduced me to the characters and got me familiar with the sharp witted humor of the show.

When I finished the game, I wanted more so badly that I bought the entire series on DVD and it now ranks as one of my all time favorite TV shows. I watched Angel as well, and enjoyed it, but I never got the same attachment as I did with Wheedon's original project.

I might join you on your re-watch; I haven't seen it since it first aired, and have likely forgotten most of it. I'd be watching almost unspoiled.

I actually gave up on Angel sometime around the third or fourth season.

I liked the guy who teamed with Angel at the begining and I was angry when they brought in the rouge demon hunter to replace him. Never really got over that.

Smile Time is one of the single greatest episodes of any TV series ever made.

As far as Buffy goes, I'm probaly one of the few people out there who thought season 6 was the best by far.

I'd rank it as follows:

1. S3 (Well Gosh...)

2. S2 (Spike & co.)

3. S5 (Glory)

4. S6 (The nerds)

5. S1 (can't even remember; will have to re-watch with Galactus)

6. S4 (The Initiative - bleh. Hush was awesome, though.)

7. S7 (F*cking Kennedy - the most annoying villain ever)

I started watching this on Netflix a year or so ago, after watching a lot of Angel and rather enjoying it. It's not bad, but I'm still not into the third season I don't think. I enjoyed it, but I inevitably found other stuff to watch, or do, or play.

When you get to wherever I left off, I might pop in as well.

Buffy was one of those weird shows that I really wanted to watch for a while, but when I did, I hated the pilot. Hated it enough to not bother watching anymore.

Finally went back and tried again.

Season 1 is bad

Season 2 is... eh it's not bad, about the- *middle of the season hits* ... okay I'm intrigued.

Season 3 that's what I'm talking 'bout!

Season 4 is almost as bad as season 1

Seasons 5 and 6 are my favorites because they hit you right in the feels repeatedly. Plus, who knew they could sing?

Season 7... I like it. A lot of people don't. But I like it.

Xander truly doesn't get better. Abandon hope, all ye that listen to him.

Hush is my favorite episode, and to date, the only form of entertainment that has ever scared me. Not talking Texas Chainsaw shouts and gasps of pain; I'm talking queasy/biting lip/twisting pillow scary. I was a grown man when I watched it, and I will not watch that episode again.

Season 1 is pretty ropy, especially nowadays. If you make it past I Robot You Jane, it's all uphill from there - not even Beer Bad sinks to such depths of suck.

:commie:

I promise to watch RahXenophon as soon as I get my hands on it. (It was a tradeoff.)

Yeah, season 1 has some deeply dorky episodes, but the funny and the foundations of the character work are there.

I'm pretty sure my thing for red heads is entirely Alyson Hannigan's fault. And Giles is awesome, they change his character quite quickly, that said it's not nearly as quick as Wesleys change in later series of Angel. And when Anya shows up she steals the show.

I watched these a few years ago on Netflix. I probably never would have made it past through the first season except that I was always doing something else while they were on, so I was only every half watching them. It wasn't until around season 3 and later that I really started paying attention.

The show is hard to take seriously, between SMG's bad acting, Boreanaz's really bad acting (he does get much better by the time Angel starts) Xander in general, and the way all the villians (Angel and Spike especially) come off very cartoonish when they're trying to be 'evil.'

I liked season 5 the best. And pretty much all of Angel was better.

ETA - The original Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie was better than the show.

Archived