Galactus watches Buffy: And it's all Datepalm's fault

Galactus

I've loved everything Whedon has done since Firefly...Firefly, Serenity, Dollhouse, The Avengers.

But I could never get into Buffy. The pilot turned me off greatly, I've seen bits and pieces of episodes on TV, a musical episode, an alternate universe one, but just couldn't care for it. I never gave Angel a try.

There are some REAL clangers in Season 1. Some terrible, terrible episodes. But as others have said, it does improve once they develop the tone properly.

I can't remember what season it was in (maybe Season 3?) but Zeppo remains my favourite Buffy episode just for how the joke slowly creeps up on you. Lovely to see such self-awareness from the showrunners.

ST

Some notes:

Yay Galactus! Hope you enjoy the show and will love reading your responses. Funnily enough, a guy on another forum I frequent did something just like this (he loved the show).

Note 1:

Context helps with Season 1. It was a mid-season replacement for the WB and was made on a budget of 4 dollars, and you can tell. I think there's only one truly great ep in season one (Prophecy Girl, the season finale), and a couple of really good ones (the Pilot, Nightmares, and Angel spring to mind, although Angel's only enjoyable if you're a romance fan). Also, fact is Joss and Co. were really attempting something that had never quite been done before, not the way they were doing it - they didn't nail the tone or what the show was until the middle of season 2. That's not to say one and two are bad - season 1 fares better upon a rewatch, although a couple of eps are simply unbearable - just that the writers didn't quite figure out what they had on their hands until that time.

Note 2:

All you people need to stop hating on Xander.

Note 3:

Also, the person who said SMG was a bad actor...seriously? I mean David I agree with in season one (although he'd become quite solid by the end of season 2 - one of the great pleasures of my TV viewing life was watching him become a legitimate actor from the first ep of Buffy to the last ep of Angel), THAT'S bad acting. But SMG, while not Marlon Brando, is not a bad actor by any stretch of the imagination.

Note 4:

Come to us for help if you need it, Galactus. The thread's not wrong when they say there are some real bad ones in season 1 and early season 2, and talking with us about them will help you push through, because while the lows of Buffy are low, the highs are by far the highest of any television show I've seen.

No no, you need to just turn on season one and watch, and by season two you will like it. Promise. I actually HATE SMG. i do. Blah. But Whedon is just so damned FUNNY, you can't HELP but love this show by the second season.

100%. S1 the acting is smarmy, the cliches are all over the place (and are supposed to be), the dialogue can be painful at times and the plots left some to be desired.

But it is just too entertaining to not watch and get hooked in by.

Yep.

A long time ago, we used to be friends....

I'm so watching Veronica Mars this week. I need to introduce this show to my friend. Besides, they're making that movie now, right??

I'm rewatching Veronica Mars too! Nearly done with season 1. The movie will be out next Spring, and they're filming it right now.

To the OP:

Season 1 has some pretty low lows, is much campier than any other season gets, and has a lot more of the '90s slang and such. Definitely keep watching until season 2 before deciding whether or not you like it!

Now i'm rewatching Veronica Mars as well.

Maybe we should start a VM Rewatch thread :P

Galactus, you need to watch Veronica Mars! Once you're done with 144 Buffy episodes and 110 Angel episodes.

*like*

Galactus, you need to watch Veronica Mars! Once you're done with 144 Buffy episodes and 110 Angel episodes.

I can't agree with you here DP. Watching VM can't wait that long. It's just 64 episodes, and should be done after one or two seasons of Buffy.

Veronica Mars is one of those shows that I feel I should watch sometime since it is recommended a lot. I missed it when it was first on, although I don't think I was even aware of it being on TV over here. Is the show good all the way through, or is it like Buffy where some seasons were a lot better than others?

The first season of Veronica Mars is easily the best. The other two are all decent enough but they can't quite reach the heights of S1.

Buffy is pretty great but nearly the entire first season is insufferable.

Nightmares and Prophecy Girl are pretty good, the rest of the first season is just terrible. But the show gets a lot better (and then gets a lot worse, personally I'd switch to Angel after the end of Season 3 and never go back, except maybe to watch Hush).

Archived