Galactus watches Buffy: And it's all Datepalm's fault

Galactus

You know in a weird way that's always kind of bothered me. People hate Riley (on average) because OMG he's BORING. And by boring they mean he's a good, dependable person. So people would rather see screwed up realtionships leading to hurt and psychological trauma than a relationship where both parties are happy and the main character is invovled with a decent human being.

I wouldn't really say he and Buffy had a particularly happy relationship (particularly in his later episodes). I also think being boring is a legitimate criticism of a fictional character, he may be a better person than many of the characters in the show but Whedon is definitely capable of writing characters who are interesting as well as being good and dependable. I would agree that hating Riley seems a bit of an over-reaction, I'd say I was more indifferent towards him (which is worse, in some ways).

I like how you're all discussing events and characters in later seasons that I haven't watched :P

Then hurry up! You can get through at least 3 a night! :whip:

Assuming you have no life.

Dumbledore dies

Oh you bastard. Ruined. My reading experience ruined.

Episode 4: Teacher's Pet

Xander has a dream sequence I see.

Lecture about ants? No way that's going to come up.

... And teacher was attacked by an ugly costumed monster!

The intro is really growing on me.

WIllow and Xander are kind of cute. Well, mostly Willow.

Angel being "Knight of Cryptic Messenger" really doesen't help by them constantly lampshading it.

Hmmm, this episode again seems vaguely familiar.

Incidentally, why do they have a doctor teaching high school science? Isn't he a bit overqualified?

Buffy has issues with trustworthiness.

I like the principal, he's funny.

Ew, that special effect of insect-lady turning her head is awful. It's creepy, but probably not for the reasons intended.

Okay, that guitar riff was funny.

"Your hands are really serrated."

Oh god, that mantis looks hilariously fake.

Vampire mantis detector!

Death toll:

50's Guy (RIP!)

Jesse (Vampirized)

Bouncer with Moobs (Eaten by Luke)

Unnamed girl (eaten by Luke)

Amy's Mom (Statueized

Homeless Guy (Vampire Scissored)

Science Teacher (mantis'ed)

I think you should also pay attention to Buffy and Cordys fashion statements. Perhaps a breif summary of the various outfits they each wear in a given show. Buffy always has at least two different outfits in each show. She usually does not get into fights when wearing a mini skirt. Yes the intro music is proably one of the best in TV history. This is a TV show that has some respect for good music another endearing quality. You also might want to keep a scoreboard on the different hairstyles Buffy wears as well.

Oh god, that mantis looks hilariously fake.

It's a re-used Babylon 5 alien from that show's first season. So basically Buffy early on had such a low budget that they recycled special effects of another show that had a notoriously low budget compared to its competitors.;)

It's a re-used Babylon 5 alien from that show's first season. So basically Buffy early on had such a low budget that they recycled special effects of another show that had a notoriously low budget compared to its competitors. ;)

Awesome! :lol: I preferred the fake props to the awful CGI in later episodes though.

In your death toll list, are you including vampires Buffy kills straight out of the ground? Because they've quite clearly been killed recently by supernatural means.

As for Riley (Galactus do NOT open this spoiler text!)

He was a borderline abusive manipulator and Xander's scolding of Buffy was about the biggest load of bullshit in the entire run. "Waaah, I know your mum has just died and suddenly you have to take on full adult teenager-raising responsibilities ON TOP OF having to save the world at great risk to your life every single night, but WHAT ABOUT MEEEE? I am only capable of being supportive in ways that involve Burly Strength, anything else threatens my masculinity, so I shall take my manpain to the nearest vampire crack whore!" - fuck that character, and fuck Xander too.

As for Riley (Galactus do NOT open this spoiler text!)

He was a borderline abusive manipulator and Xander's scolding of Buffy was about the biggest load of bullshit in the entire run. "Waaah, I know your mum has just died and suddenly you have to take on full adult teenager-raising responsibilities ON TOP OF having to save the world at great risk to your life every single night, but WHAT ABOUT MEEEE? I am only capable of being supportive in ways that involve Burly Strength, anything else threatens my masculinity, so I shall take my manpain to the nearest vampire crack whore!" - fuck that character, and fuck Xander too.

That's not how it goes at all. She's sidelining and ignoring him long before that.

Nor does she, in the midst of a real crisis, want to reach out to him for support.

He's correct in that she keeps him at a distance and he's not interested in that. Though he deals with it badly.

Not to mention it's not like he was complaining this entire time. You could tell he was hurt by Buffy's dismissal of him, but he kept it to himself because he knew she was going through a tough and kept it to himself.

"But he shouldn't have felt that way to begin with RAWRRR!!!"

Yeah, but it's easy to say that - I mean, we feel what we feel. The hard part is keeping those feelings inside, especially when we think it's inappropriate. I honestly feel Riley kept it to himself as long as he could. Heck, he spends almost half a season doing something that most people would condemn modern men for doing, and bottles it all up; and he probably would have KEPT bottling it all up, for Buffy's sake, if Spike hadn't stumbled upon him.

Not saying he's entirely blameless here, but there were issues on both sides of the relationship for sure.

Episode 5: Never kill a boy on the first date

Opening fight scene... And critique of form.

I stil kind of like the Master's schtick of being half preacher, half just really smug ass.

Ah, so Giles is one of THOSE librarians.

Awkward flirting.

I like the conceit that the vampires are basically just a distraction to her from what is really important.

And I also like Cordelia being... Cordelia.

The lampshading occasionally grates, but it still throws a bone to the idea that they're actually *considering* the secret identity stuff at least. Which is... Good? I guess.

Did they have some kind of a deal with the band to serve as their ad agency in return for suspiciously approporiate music?

Xander is going from vaguely annoying to downright creepy at times.

And Giles is trapped and Angel is back.

They really were planning on getting Willow and Xander together at this stage didn't they?

The weird funeral home comedy thing isn't quite working though.

Oh, creepy twist. Though I knew the Anointed One couldn't have been dealt with that easily.

Death toll:

50's Guy (RIP!)

Jesse (Vampirized)

Bouncer with Moobs (Eaten by Luke)

Unnamed girl (eaten by Luke)

Amy's Mom (Statueized

Homeless Guy (Vampire Scissored)

Science Teacher (mantis'ed

Five people on a bus (killed by the Sons of Aurelius)

I stil kind of like the Master's schtick of being half preacher, half just really smug ass.

I like the conceit that the vampires are basically just a distraction to her from what is really important.

And I also like Cordelia being... Cordelia.

The Master seemed like he had some potential as a villian that was never fully realised and Yes its the enternal question, vampire slaying or keeping that date. Cordelia is a very fun character at this point. SMG was originally cast for the Cordelia role. I never reallly liked Zander that much but he kind of grew on me to the point where I was indifferent towards him. Hes almost like the token male of the series.

Incidentally, why do they have a doctor teaching high school science? Isn't he a bit overqualified?

A bunch of my high school teachers had PhDs, including my chemistry and physics teachers (but not my biology teacher, so). Is it really all that rare?

Anyway, cool thread. I've tried watching old episodes of Buffy and can't get through them anymore. It's interesting to hear someone's opinion of the episodes I haven't seen in over fifteen years.

I've always loved the Master. The way he's half old-timey villain, half modern smart-ass really works and I think sets a great tone for the series.

My main problem with the master is he looks like he has a cold all the time. I don't know why but it really gets at me.

Ah, so Giles is one of THOSE librarians.

What type would that be? I forget what each episode contains, though I can generally work it out.

Season One Giles is a different beast from what they do with the character in later seasons, and he very much improves from S2 onwards. And yeah, I used to quite like Xander when I was younger but he's creeptastic to watch now.

Archived