Azor Ahai IS The Prince That Was Promised (proof)

I always assumed he was. The only question I had was about how the story of the last hero connects to these other myths/prophecies.

What I think is that different cultures made the man who defeated The Others, the first time, their own. The Asshains? and followers of R'hllor called him Azor Ahai and made him their own, the Valyrians possibly made him their own and named himThe Prince That Was Promised, and the First Men made him their own and named him the Last Hero. They are three different versions of the same person.

I've been directing people to watch this for months to prove AAR is the same as TPTWP.

yea the only reason i made this thread was so everyone could be directed. i personally would have preferred them both being different people but it really has been hard for me to intake that they are the same mainly because i thought the prince was someone who was going to sit on the iron throne and lead westeros into an age of prosperity and peace.

This sounds like a really minor point but...

I know that Rhaegar's words were, "He is the prince that was promised and his is the song of ice and fire." But he should have said, "He is the prince who was promised..."

Aemon and Melisandre both repeat the phrase using "that" rather than "who." Unless the Prince is an inanimate object, it's incorrect to use "that" instead of "who." That's huge nitpicking, I know, but it just surprises me that a really ridiculously basic grammatical error was allowed to pass in several books. The only reason I can think of is that the phrase is always used as part of characters' speech, in which case it doesn't matter a great deal because people don't speak perfectly.

Except: It was stipulated that Rhaegar was extremely learned and bookish. It's unlikely that he'd have not realised the difference between "that" and "who."

And so ends my contribution to the series' least important niggling detail. :P

On topic: yeah, I think that Aemon and Melisandre using AA and PwwP interchangeably means they are the same person canonically.

I didn't even realise there was any debate on the matter. The two prophecies have always seemed so similar to me...

Yeah, i was like, "Who had them as different people? And were you imagining a showdown between the two of them with one fighting for each element?"

Stannis is going to get stiffed by prophecy just as he was by the populace. As he's watching someone else get raised up on the people's shoulders as the great hero king, Stannis will be muttering "Yep, that's about what I've come to expect."

Stannis is going to get stiffed by prophecy just as he was by the populace. As he's watching someone else get raised up on the people's shoulders as the great hero king, Stannis will be muttering "Yep, that's about what I've come to expect."

At some point he is going to grind his teeth into a pulp. That said, I think that it's in his character to not really care much about not being Azor Azai. It's his claim to the Iron Throne that he really cares about, so it's what he's likely to defend.

Given he is not especially religious, I can't see him caring a huge deal.

It remains a possibility that these prophecies refer to the same figure, but it is not certain.

Except both Mel and Aemon have used TPTWP and AAR interchangeably so the text already confirmed this.

These two characters have made it known that this is their opinion, but this is a story where characters who make bold assertions of truth are often proven wrong. No character in 100% reliable on everything and I suspect that this issue is one where there's more to the story than either of these characters have claimed.

The recording cited by the original poster simply has Martin speaking from Melisandre's point of view, about her beliefs, not about what is actually true in his universe. I don't think he'd make this kind of revelation or confirmation in this kind of offhand manner. He's speaking about what Melisandre believes, not what is strictly true in his universe.

It remains a possibility that these prophecies refer to the same figure, but it is not certain.

These two characters have made it known that this is their opinion, but this is a story where characters who make bold assertions of truth are often proven wrong. No character in 100% reliable on everything and I suspect that this issue is one where there's more to the story than either of these characters have claimed.

The recording cited by the original poster simply has Martin speaking from Melisandre's point of view, about her beliefs, not about what is actually true in his universe. I don't think he'd make this kind of revelation or confirmation in this kind of offhand manner. He's speaking about what Melisandre believes, not what is strictly true in his universe.

agreed

Archived