Hodor?

something i put in a previous thread

oh my sweet summer child Hodor is no minor nor werid character

"Hodor is all, yet nothing, great and yet humble, master and servant.. Both the answer and the question, the beat and the meaning behind the song, the rain upon the fields and the sun in the sky. Hodor is everything. Hodor is the one true man who deserves the iron throne."

edit:the quote didn't work so i just rewrote it

It's a piety that the Singers can't really do healing magic like giving Bran back his legs and new wits to Hodor, but that's just the way it is.

I think Bran (before going tree-mode) and his fellows will still return back to the main gang and when Bran becomes a tree, Hodor will likely return to serve in Winterfell and the Reeds return home.

The day I hear something really interesting about Hodor, and I mean something other than Hodor, I would be certainly pleased. With that said, I must complement OP for just asking the question, and not, like many ''intellegent'' posters started a thread with just Hodor.

Sometimes cigar is just cigar... I mean, Hodor is, for some,for me unknown reason interesting to fandom, but at the end he is just that. A poor, mentally ill man, who happens to be very kind and tender. Not every ''broken'' thing has to be special. Sometimes, unfortunately, what's beyond repair, remains irreperable...

Hodor is super important! Without Hodor we would know very little about skinchanging into humans. It is apparently an abomination to some other skinchangers. But Bran can do it, and even though it might be easier to control Hodor then other humans, learning on Hodor could be his stepping stone to other, more powerful minds.

Also, Bran could use Hodor as his spare body. That's what he's doing in the caves already. He could go out in public, leaving his real body safely stowed away. Nobody would recognize Hodor or want to hunt him down, but when he talked it would be Bran speaking through him. And killing Hodor would not stop Bran either. A super strong huge human puppet is a pretty great tool, especially if you can't walk.

I think in his own way Hodor is one of the most heroic characters in the series. He's a man with limited capacities, but that doesn't stop him from being good, helpful, faithful, strong. Bran would be dead without Hodor, and that makes Hodor tremendously important.

One thing I love about the Ice & Fire series as a whole is that there are such a range of characters. Characters don't have to be able, or thin, or pretty to contribute. Hodor is wonderful and he accomplishes a lot. That's a powerful message.

The day I hear something really interesting about Hodor, and I mean something other than Hodor, I would be certainly pleased. With that said, I must complement OP for just asking the question, and not, like many ''intellegent'' posters started a thread with just Hodor.

Sometimes cigar is just cigar... I mean, Hodor is, for some,for me unknown reason interesting to fandom, but at the end he is just that. A poor, mentally ill man, who happens to be very kind and tender. Not every ''broken'' thing has to be special. Sometimes, unfortunately, what's beyond repair, remains irreperable...

This is Hodor, and very well explained, too.

More than that, though, Hodor is an example of Ned Stark's kindness. This is a world where ostracising those with disabilities is completely normal and not at all considered cruel. Jaime's identity crisis at the loss of his hand is an example of how little a crippled person means to Westerosi society. Hodor is, for whatever reason, well below the intellectual capabilities that someone his age should be expected to be. Worse for him, he is seven feet tall, so he is extremely conspicuous, and he doesn't defend himself from teasing.

Hodor doesn't seem to understand when he is being bullied unless he is being physically hurt and yet the Starks still ensured that he has a position within the castle that he can perform very well. When he could just as easily have been shaped as a fearsome warrior (probably what the Boltons would tried to have done with torture), Hodor has been treated with kindness and even made important to the Starks. He is eventually entrusted with caring for Bran, a task that Maester Luwin seems to be perfectly happy that Hodor can achieve despite his fear of anything dangerous.

Bran's willingness to share Hodor's skin is, in a way, a sign that Bran doesn't consider the more vulnerable in society with the same courtesy that his father did. It's not deliberate and certainly not malicious but nonetheless, Ned would have been horrified that Bran was taking control of Hodor's body and ignoring his horror at losing control.

Bran's willingness to share Hodor's skin is, in a way, a sign that Bran doesn't consider the more vulnerable in society with the same courtesy that his father did. It's not deliberate and certainly not malicious but nonetheless, Ned would have been horrified that Bran was taking control of Hodor's body and ignoring his horror at losing control.

Yes, I agree with this. Bran's POV makes it very clear that Hodor hates being possessed, but Bran does it anyhow. Bran had been one of my favorite characters and it just kills me to see him disregard Hodor's feelings, when Hodor's been a true savior to him.

Walder doesn't actually say "Hodor", he says "R'llohor" but, given his poor speech and Northern ignorance about the Lord of Light, they believe he's saying Hodor.

No evidence whatsoever, so it's pure crackpot.

Secret Targaryen.

Saw a cracpot theory that he was Aegon. He says "Hodor" because as they were smashing down the door and Elia clutched him to her breast she was screaming "Hold the door, hold the door!" that quickly became a clusterfuck of the words and just sounded like "Ho....dor!". His size was because he didn't die when his head was smashed, it just messed up his pituitary gland making him grow freakishly large.

This theory of course didn't account for him being significantly older than Aegon or explain how he supposedly survived having his head crushed by Ser Gregor Clegane. Or how an infant was able to form a memory of what his mother was screaming. It was enough to make me chuckle though.

I would be interested to find out if he had any connection whatsoever to the Freys, since his name is actually Walder. Maybe that would be a twist to show another Frey that isn't so bad. (Like all the Freys that were forced to be absent from the RW)

ETA: spelling

sometimes a cigar is not a cigar.....

Archived