Hodor?

I think in his own way Hodor is one of the most heroic characters in the series. He's a man with limited capacities, but that doesn't stop him from being good, helpful, faithful, strong. Bran would be dead without Hodor, and that makes Hodor tremendously important.

:agree:

Hodor!

Old Nan said that Hodor wasn't Hodor's real name. That it was something that he just started saying and nobody knew what it meant. I highly doubt that thiswon't have any importance later in the story. I think the word is significant somehow but have no idea why.

:agree:

• 1 year later...

But if Bran becomes a tree or whatever he has to do to become a greenseer like Brynden, what on earth will Hodor do to pass the time ? Is he bound to die of boredom in a cave far from home ?

I don't know if this has been put about before, but I definitely think that Old nan and Hodor were wildlings.. And that 'Hodor' means something in the Old Tongue.

I think 'possibly' his disability could have been caused by a run in with the white walkers while he was a baby. I dunno :dunno:

Most of the older terms are pejorative. And the term intellectually disabled is a recentish consensus, and I'm not sure how many people that aren't in some way involved with the population know the term. I only know about this stuff because my mother directs a day program and PA services for adults with developmental disabilities (all of whom are intellectually disabled and most have physical disabilities and/or autism in addition to the intellectual disability).

Getting back to Hodor, on a meta level all characters can be viewed as literary devices, but I really dislike how so many people dismiss Hodor as simply a tool for Bran and I hate how so many people seem to think it's ok for Bran to warg Hodor (after the first time) because he's intellectually disabled (actually, that's why I created an account, I lurked for about 3 days before seeing a thread about that and created the account to participate in that thread). I think these opinions probably say a lot about our society's attitude towards people with intellectual disabilities. I think Hodor is probably not more than he appears to be, which is to say an adult with a developmental disability, but because GRRM is a good author, he's not just a one dimensional stereotype. It seems to me that GRRM consciously chooses to include characters with various disabilities and I really appreciate it, most of them don't seem to be tokens or stereotypes and since disabled people are pretty invisible in a lot of fiction. Getting back to Hodor, I don't think he exists simply as a tool to help to Bran, because it's shown that Osha could have fulfilled that role as well as Hodor does, and certainly some other character could have taken charge of Rickon. So perhaps Hodor is with Bran to remind him of his humanity,

I agree. Hodor is a literary device, not just to take Bran where he is supposed to go, but also as a reflection of morality for Bran. In a way, Hodor has been Bran's most faithful servant and friend. I think Bran was a little too focused on his own disabilities to see the harm he might be doing to Hodor when he wargs into him. Its quite sad. But, not to get off topic, I do think that Hodor has an interesting backstory. I believe his true name, his ancestry, his disability, and the word "Hodor" have special meaning and a story all their own. However, I am not sure this story is essential to ASOIAF at this time and may not ever get explained. The mystery is a reminder that Hodor is human, present, aware and complicated with a story just like any of our other characters.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the symmetry that Bran had his body broken, but still perseveres, and Hodor has a broken mind but still proves himself invaluable on Brans quest. To be honest, if Hodor wasn't "broken" he would have been a soldier and died in some nameless battle or followed his own dreams.

Bran, while being happy learning to fight and be a knight like he dreamed, would probably have payed much less attention to his wolf dreams and may not have dreamt of the 3 eyed raven.

What is absolutely certain, in my eyes, is that they would not be primed to play a vital role in whatever happens in the next 2 books. And I cannot wait because I loved all of Brans chapters and I get the feeling they have yet to fully catch fire.

Cheers to Michael Stark "not all broken things are special"

This upsets me at first but soon that sadness turns to an understanding that even a simple life or a simple man can have great value. even without some spectacular twist. He completes Bran bodily, provides an example of a "cripple" (Bran's words, not mine) who isn't bitter or cruel, facilitates Bran's journey and very survival.

Has Hodor always been . . . well . . . hodorish?

Archived