What was Rhaegars name for Jon?

PrinceBreakspear

• 2 months later...

My take (guess) is that after he met Lyanna, Rhaegar gave up his recreation of the three headed dragon, realizing he'd misconstrued. Perhaps he let Lyanna name, in which case Brandon Targaryen would be apt, for his is the song of ice and fire.

BTW OP, a child can be named before birth, so it's quite possible Jon does have a Targ name and Ned renamed him to hide it.

Jon Snow sounds mightily like it could be a play on Jon Doe - a placeholder name that's used for persons who's real name has been lost or forgotten.

Yeah lets name him Brandon as a pardon for killing your brother Lyanna.I am sure his soul would be at ease if we name this child after Brandon.

Yeah lets name him Brandon as a pardon for killing your brother Lyanna.I am sure his soul would be at ease if we name this child after Brandon.

Did I say it would be Rhaegar who would want to call him Brandon? Maybe Lyanna would want that name. The prince wasn't around when the baby was born, Lyanna could have chosen a name before the birth/before dying.

PS As far as i recall Rhaegar didn't kill Brandon.

If "L+R=J" (I put Lyanna first :eek: ) is true then my guess is that, as someone said, he was named before birth. And that L seemingly was a strong woman she would have insisted on a northern name, especially when he came to look so much a northerner. Might acctually be Jon though Brandon seems more likely. But I like the idea of him having some Targaryen name and Eddard changing it and taking him in as his own. Love the secrecy!

We actually know from a So Spake Martin that Ned named Jon.

Q: Since all of their mothers died, who gave Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen and Tyrion Lannister their names?

A: Mothers can name a child before birth, or during, or after, even while they are dying. Dany was most like named by her mother, Tyrion by his father, Jon by Ned.

Did I say it would be Rhaegar who would want to call him Brandon? Maybe Lyanna would want that name. The prince wasn't around when the baby was born, Lyanna could have chosen a name before the birth/before dying.

PS As far as i recall Rhaegar didn't kill Brandon.

Can you imagine telling a child whose name they named him after.

Brandon we name you after my brother whom died because of your grandfather.

That is what I meant.Naming him Artos or Jon or Theon would have been okey(Stark names) .I don't know maybe my mind goes overdrive sometimes.

Archived