Why was King Bob so forgiving?

Selmy was only doing his duty. The commander of the Kingsguard, fights for the king. Whoever the king.

He was not commander of the kingsguard in that time. White Bull was.

bob was better king then stannis would've ever been.

Oh Boy.....

Bob was a forgiving man and why not,You don't stomp people you've beaten to the ground you help them up and when there's a fight again they will fight beside you.

As others have said, it would have made no sense to slaughter all those who fought against him in his rebellion. He would have to exterminate every member of those houses if he did so, otherwise the remaining members would be plotting vengeance. Better to forgive them as long as they bend the knee and not set himself up for for future rebellions. And Robert did seem genuinely forgiving in nature towards anyone who wasn't a Targ.

Also keeping a highly respected knight and KG like Barristan around lends him an air of legitimacy once he is on the throne. I am surprised he kept Varys though, but he didn't seem to have much stomach for political intrigue or any sort of details for that matter, so maybe he listened to the Lannisters in this regard.

Robert would have had a better reign had he made Ned his Hand from the start and cleared out the vipers nest that was the small council. (I would say he should have made Stannis Hand, but with the sibling dynamic it never would have worked.) Jon Arryn may have been a good man but he apparently didn't stand up to Robert as Ned did and Robert needed a strong counterbalance. And, off topic, Ned would have been the best king.

Bob wasn't an inherently cruel man. If he beat you on the battlefield, that was enough for him. No need to go executing defeated men. I don't think he held anyone fighting for the Targs personally responsible for doing so, he saw them as other men doing their duties. Rhaegar on the other hand...

The thing I don't get, is hwo little presence the Stormlands had at Robert's court.

He kept the small counsel that Aerys had...

He gives many positions to the Lannisters, the House of his wife, understandable I guess...

No stormlanders on the Kingsguard...

No Stormlanders on the small counsel apart from Renly and Stannis...

Apart from Beric Dondarrion were there any Stormlanders at court?

For being of House Baratheon and from the Stormlands, with close proximity to the capital, there was really a lack of presence.

Or any of his other allies for thatmatter, it seems he really snubebd the people that put him on the throne. Where are the representatives from the Riverlands? The Vale? The North? Jon Arryn is hand yes, but apart from that...?

The thing I don't get, is hwo little presence the Stormlands had at Robert's court.

He gives many positions to the Lannisters, the House of his wife, understandable I guess...

No Stormlanders on the small counsel apart from Renly and Stannis...

Apart from Beric Dondarrion were there any Stormlanders at court?

For being of House Baratheon and from the Stormlands, with close proximity to the capital, there was really a lack of presence.

Or any of his other allies for thatmatter, it seems he really snubebd the people that put him on the throne. Where are the representatives from the Riverlands? The Vale? The North? Jon Arryn is hand yes, but apart from that...?

I blame Arryn for this,He did most of the appointments Bob wouldn't bother with them

Robert loved a good brawl, but when everything is over he can get over it as long as people aren't starting stuff.

Also you have to remember that in this type if culture, all the noble families are inter-married. So, there extra incentive for pardons when all your banner men have wives or sisters, nephews, cousins fighting on the other side. Your main for is eliminated, if everyone is willing to call truce you do.

The North shuns the South, so I don't think that Robert could have made any of them come to court willingly. Littlefinger was also from the Vale, as was Mandon Moore.

Meryn Trant was sworn to Storm's End, as well as Barristan Selmy.

Tywin gives the following lesson to Joeffrey.

"Joffrey, when your enemies defy you, you must serve them steel and fire. When they go to their knees, however, you must help them back to their feet. Elsewise no man will ever bend the knee to you." ASoS p.715

This seems like the philosophy of the culture of Westeros.

Roberts small council:

Arryn and Baelish(Vale) Stannis, Renly and Selmy(Stormlands) Pycelle(Maester, supposedly no allegiance) and Varys(Essos)

Considering he was raised in the Vale, he trusted his surrogate father and his two younger brothers the council was firmly biased towards him.

Varys is and odd choice but chances are there were few alternatives who had his network of intelligence abroad(which is what Robert was most afraid of).

Unless Robert hated Pycelle there was no point in replacing him as all Maesters owe their allegiance to the Citedel and Westeros.

Dorne, the Reach and the Iron Islands have, for the majority of his rule, no influence at Court. It seems that he kept his enemies at bay and rewarded both his homeland and his adopted homeland.

Archived