Roose Bolton the Northern Tywin Lannister

The Black Hawk

Not really.

Tywin is all about his family and their legacy while Bolton is seemingly blase to the loss of his true son and that any power he has accumulated will likely be lost(the North if not the Dreadfort) thanks to a son who needs to be taught the nature of Leadership. Tywin would never of allowed himself to be married off for a fat woman's weight in gold.

Bolton seems to have a sense of humor compared to the dour Tywin and is far more eccentric as Tywin would never do some of the odd things Bolton gets up to, or at the very least he'd do them in private.

While Bolton is now the Warden of the North it is purely down to his opportunistic behavior. The incompetence of two Stark Lords and the support of two Southern lords got him this position. He inherited the Bolton title, probably the 2nd eminent Lordship in the North, and did nothing with it. Tywin clearly is more ambitious not being happy with just the Westernlands but wanting influence over the entire realm. Coyote vs Lion.

They may seem similar because of their roles in the Red Wedding but we are yet to see how Roose rewards Lords who are good to him. Tywin is very much about using the carrot as well as the stick, what's good for Tywin seems to be good for his bannermen too. I dont thin Roose is like this.

That's like comparing Ramsay to LF isn't it. He knows he won't be able to hold the north and even if he does its a one generation deal because the second he's dead Ramsay is gonna get flayed but I don't think he cares that's what makes his betrayal meaningless.

When I first read the books, I wrote Roose off as just another creepy Tywin, but he's more than that. He's like what would happen if Tywin and Littlefinger had a baby together that inherited only the villainous qualities off the two. Roose isn't as obsessed as Tywin about making his house great, and is even more willing to dirty his hands than Tywin, considering that he killed Robb himself.

Roose and Tywin are similar in the sense that they are both males and neither shits gold. Seriously, they have as much in common as Brienne and Aerys.

How so? Not saying that you're wrong or anything, but I would love to see the differences between the two.

How so? Not saying that you're wrong or anything, but I would love to see the differences between the two.

The Brienne/ Aerys comparison was hyperbole (neither Roose or Tywin are actually military geniuses and they both used the Bloody Mummers for a time, so that's a similarity), but the nature of their characters are completely different:

1. Tywin doesn't actually kill people personally. He hides behind his "monsters" to do his bidding. Roose has killed in cold blood.

2. Tywin's motivation is pride and House. Roose pretty clearly has no such motivation or House loyalty.

3. Tywin craves power and respect. Roose's motives are more LF-like. It's noted that people are mere "playthings for his amusement."

4. Tywin is 100% not a mastermind. It's too early to tell if Roose is, but my suspicion is that he is more crafty than Tywin.

5. Tywin's MO is basically a mob boss with a good PR dept. He maintains a front of forceful intimidation. He wants people to know of his utter cruelty as part of his PR (though being careful to try to distance himself from the actual bloodletting), which is kind of anti-thetical to Roose's "a peaceful land, a quiet people" cover-up routine.

6. Tywin is a ball of emotion. Roose is the one who is actually calculating and detached.

7. When the son Tywin hates gets Catnapped he goes to war; when the son Roose hates is "killed" during an arrest attempt, Roose is like "he had it coming anyway."

8. I would be really surprised if Roose ever visited whores

9. Roose has an odd sense of humor. Tywin hasn't a shred.

10. Tywin is extremely snotty; he was beside himself about Slynt getting Harrenhal because of his social class, but Roose isn't actually concerned with those sorts of indiscretions.

11. Tywin feared Stannis; I don't think Roose fears anything.

12. Roose is probably an Other and/or in league with them (ok, that one is reaching)

13. Roose's offspring actually admires him.

well Tywin is really closed minded

- the oblivious fact that Tyrion is his son and heir and that he is awesome

- the fact that he played the game for the inbreed Joffrey

( yea sure he almost won but he knew earlier that Cerseis children are Jaimes kids as well )

and yet Joff carries the name Baratheon not Lannister .

- ultimately he wanted to own the world (or maybe just Westeros)

- the first lost battle against Robb Stark because he lacked imagination that Robb is more then just a 15 year old boy

Bolton on other hand is a riddle :

- he is a suspect to practice dark magic ( Arya & Harrenhal )

- he is suspected to sacrifice his children as some sort of magic (many dead stillborn)

- unknown ultimate goal (what does he really want ? )

- whats his real opinion / feeling about Ramsey

and many more

snip

Good job. You've not only convinced me of the differences between the two, but you've further highlighted the pure awesomeness of Roose Bolton, and now I like him even more :thumbsup:. Like I said, he's like a combination of both Tywin and Littlefinger, since he has the ruthlessness of Tywin and the scheming ways of Littlefinger.

Good job. You've not only convinced me of the differences between the two, but you've further highlighted the pure awesomeness of Roose Bolton, and now I like him even more :thumbsup:. Like I said, he's like a combination of both Tywin and Littlefinger, since he has the ruthlessness of Tywin and the scheming ways of Littlefinger.

I guess it's like multiplying 2 negative numbers to become a positive. The 2 shittiest, least awesome numbers.

<snip>

Good post.

I suppose I was mixing up, in my mind, a bit about Roose's actual craftiness and the bizarre way that Tywin's constantly referred to on the boards as a good ruler who solves problems and keeps peace. Something about Tywin the forum MVP really reminds me of Roose's 'a peaceful land, a quiet people' motto.

Military mastermind ? You gotta be joking for sure. I think Roose one of the worst battle commander in Robb's court.

But Tywin is not good about that too, so maybe you right.

Yeah, I would have to call BS on Tywin being a military mastermind as well. He was a very able administrator and a savvy political player, but I challenge you to show me one example of his supposed genius for battle.

Seriously, show me one example. Just one.

Yeah, I would have to call BS on Tywin being a military mastermind as well. He was a very able administrator and a savvy political player, but I challenge you to show me one example of his supposed genius for battle.

Seriously, show me one example. Just one.

He almost smashed Edmure's host in the Riverlands. If you compare what he tells Tyrion about his battle plans on the Red Fork with what happens later against Edmure you see that Edmure was falling into that Trap. If the Tyrells had not warned Tywin of Stannis he would have destroyed Edmure and his forces.

That's pretty decent generalship, indeed the way he keeps a reserve force is pretty intelligent.

He almost smashed Edmure's host in the Riverlands. If you compare what he tells Tyrion about his battle plans on the Red Fork with what happens later against Edmure you see that Edmure was falling into that Trap. If the Tyrells had not warned Tywin of Stannis he would have destroyed Edmure and his forces.

That's pretty decent generalship, indeed the way he keeps a reserve force is pretty intelligent.

Uh, he did? I was under the impression that Edmure's defeat of Tywin was what allowed the news about Kings Landing in time. All that shows is that Tywin was arrogant and underestimated his opponents.

There is no real comparison. Tywin would be a king in his ownright if the Targs had never came. Bolton is a decendent of a backstabbers and traitors. Tywin is a ruler, administrator. Bolton is a cool, quiet, calculating sociopath where as his Bastard Ramsay is an.schysophrenic sociopath.

For all we know, Roose may have killed his own son etc..

Archived