Why doesn't Dany go to Asshai?

MidnightAurora

I just finished ACOK and wondering why Dany did not seem to listen to the one lady with the mask when she stated to go to Asshai for truths?? She also told Dany not to trust everyone especially Xaro and Darth and yet Dany goes to the HOTU and caters to Xaro in some fashion. If she listened and went with them in some aspect why not take up on the advice to go to Asshai for truths??

Dany is a slayer of lies which got me thinking and maybe she would be the slayer of lies against the 3 eye raven that keeps invading Bran's dreams. I do not know what it is, but that bird seems to help at times and other times I do not trust it. I am thinking the slayer of lies maybe having to do with other Targs that might come out of the woodwork and may not be a Targ?

Any further thoughts on why Dany does not seem to want and others are preventing her from going there and she heeds this advice, but not other advice??

It seems to me that the mask lady told her not to trust anyone especially the 2 men who traveled with her to bring her to Qarth and to leave as soon as possible. She stated for Dany to leave because being around Dany and the dragons gave people back their powers/ extended their powers. Any thoughts on how she was causing this aside from bringing back dragons??

Even in KL the alchemists stated the wildfire process was working better and had not worked this well since the age of Dragons. Dragons brought magic back into the realm and people are coming more powerful, but how could the others be awaken or come again before the birthing of dragons??

We know the Dragons probably have a bigger purpose, but aside from Dany what other factors may have contributed to her being able to "birth" them??

I have more thoughts and theories on this, but I wanted to see others thoughts on the matter. Especially why she did not heed the masked ladies warnings regarding Pree and Xaro and also why not head to Asshai??

Was the masked lady just as deadly as the other 2?? DId she want Dany to go to Asshai for some evil reason or was she truthful?

You know, i have a mad theory but i think that The mad king's death could have a relation to the magic being born again in planetos. i mean after his death, all balance is lost in the westeros (Baratheon king, product of incest king.. etc.. ) and the war of the five kings, so i believe that the others just like the dragons come again once the targaryen rule has been abolished..

I like your out of balance theory Abyssalix. I do not think it has all to do with the Targaryn rule being abolished. As the last dragon died the magic was draining long before their rule ended. I think with the imbalance it did give a way for the Others to come back. I think it was more of black magic and dark magic that came and when Dany birthed her dragons good magic was also reintroduced.

I don't neccisarily think the others were gone. if they continued to move north as the summers came, they would eventually reach a point where most in Westeros would forget about them. I don't think "magic" was gone in Westeros, as you are describing it, but it decreased in power. Also, don't forget your Stark words. "Winter is coming"

• 3 weeks later...

Here's what GRRM said about Asshai:

Actually Asshai’s another question; it’s kind of at the other end of the world. I’m not sure if we’ll actually ever go to Asshai. You may learn more about it through Melisandre or other people remembering it or talking about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually, Quaithe never specifically mentioned Asshai. That's only Dany's interpretation of Quaithe's prophecy. Personally I think Quaithe is being a bit annoying with all the cryptic messages.

Anyway, there's an interesting theory posted somewhere in this forum that suggests that the prophecy may have been realized toward the end of ADwD,

when Dany was lost in the Dothraki Sea

• 2 months later...

Well yes; the woman clearly stated that Daenerys should not trust anybody. Which includes her, silly. :smug:

But as for Asshai; Daenerys is at all times trying ot keep her eyes on the prize. She is tired of being in exile, always running and fearing for her life, AND she wants to be seated on The Iron Throne, and soon. It's a symbol of salvation for her, a dream she's had her entire life. Although it may not have been the right decision, it was the one that seemed obvious to partake in at the time.

Plus I always assumed that the whole 'Slayer Of Lies' thing meant that Daenerys would show the people of Westeros that The Lannisters and the Baratheons are liars and usurpers, having little to no claim to The Seven Kingdoms whatsoever as long as the last Targaryen was alive and well; she would show them who their true ruler was, and give them the gift of truth.

Either way though, Asshai could be tempting--if a city like that spits out the likes of Melisandre, I can only imagine what else lies to the far east...

Archived