I think Gendry will win the IT.

melanniemunoz

I don't buy it, but I've always questioned his origin story:

And according the Wiki (I know, not always reliable) he is older than Mya (who he fathered in the Vale) but older than Edric (who he fathered at Stannis's wedding) which makes him the oldest male of Robert's children, in either a CoK or FFC he is said as being 5 years older than Arya so I think it's faily acurate. And I love how it keeps saying how amazing Gendry is with a hammer (his father's weapon of choice).

GoT Page 236:

If Stannis and Shereen die (and I think Shereen will at least) than wouldn't he have the best claim to his fathers seat as oldest male if Robert's bastards were the last of the Baratheons? And Stannis knows of him already having visited the smith with Jon Arryn. And he currently is with "Robert's Men". Although, If he does claim the throne, I doubt he will actually rule in peace.

I think Mya is the oldest, In AGOT Ned recalls Robert going to see his firstborn when they were Jon Arryn's wards at the Eyrie. Since Gendry's mother lived in KL it would make sense that Robert was already King when Gendry was conceived making him second or third depending on when Stannis got married

I think Mya is the oldest, In AGOT Ned recalls Robert going to see his firstborn when they were Jon Arryn's wards at the Eyrie. Since Gendry's mother lived in KL it would make sense that Robert was already King when Gendry was conceived making him second or third depending on when Stannis got married

From the ones we know, Mya seems to the oldest, followed by Bella. After that probably comes Gendry and then the twins at Casterly Rock. Bara was probably the youngest, but with Robert, who knows.

Gendry is definitely older than Edric. Arya mentions something about Gendry being 5 years older than her.

With the new order and rules emerging, the Others, wars, dragons returning, hidden identities, magic, guest right out the window, and more turned topsy turvy, I am not sure that what looks good on paper for certain characters may necessarily be that important in the end. I don’t think Gendry will sit the Iron Throne either, but he may rise higher, and I think and hope he reconnects with Arya again.

He is a great character to read about on the rare and occasional Gendry threads that pop up from time to time. It is a very 50/50 reaction to him by posters. Some see a lot of potential and have the highest hopes and some see nothing special about him and doubt he could even be a hedge knight or a free rider to say the least.

So I thought about the pros and cons of Gendry, or a few that came to mind anyway.

Concerns

He told Arya he was joining the BWB instead of going on to Riverrun. So is that dumping on their friendship, or is he inspired to make something of himself because he is obviously now aware of class difference and how it separates Arya from him?

I personally don’t like his involvement in the whole red/fire/god thing – Mel, Selyse, and Stannis ruined it for me, but then again, Beric and Thoros make it somewhat palatable, and less Mel annoying.

He is illiegitimate – with a bastard brother whose father was also the King and his mother is a lady. Nobility on both sides, really. It is true that Edric Storm has more polish and clout than he does in the bastardry division.

Nobody knows who he is and it would be hard to prove. Just looking at him will not be enough for everyone.

Can be stubborn and lose his temper.

Birth/class bothers him – but it only surfaced down the road with Arya through that Edric Dayne exchange.

He can be jealous. Again, Arya and Edric Dayne…

He has a reputation for being not that bright. He thinks and takes his time before answering. This I never agreed with, but that is only my opinion. There is dialogue that is analytical on his part or with quick-witted, snappy retorts. He catches on quick, reacts quickly, and there were other things and examples. He does get a bad rap with that. Even Mott tells Ned that he is bright.

Pluses

Ned got to meet him and seemed to like him. That is great. And then Arya becomes buds with him. It is too much.

Jon Arryn got to meet him. And he was like a father to Robert and Ned.

He is/ was buddies with Arya and they hit it off. They have a history and have been through a lot together. And the Starks are on the upswing eventually. Also, he is currently with Uncat, Arya’s mom, and her people the BWB.

He respects and seemed to like everything Arya is about. Warts and all. And that was one of the biggest arcs for Arya in AGOT. She wants to be who she wants to be. She has struggled with Cat, Sansa, and Septa Mordane, to be accepted for who she is. Even Robert, Cersei, and others seem to react to her “wildness.” She even rejects Ned’s forecast of her marrying and having children. Gendry gets her. It was a rare and accidental find for her.

He defends her from Hot Pie and Lommy, well, until they knock it off and join the Wolf Pack.

He thinks she looks pretty, all spruced up, and can appreciate it.

He laughs himself silly knowing it is not who she is, when he sees her with the acorn dress.

He is Robert’s son and is like him, looks like him, wields a hammer to fight, but also to build things constructively as a skill. The hammer is not just used for destruction.

Saves Brienne.

Helps orphans.

Joins the BWB and looks for a purpose in life to serve/help others.

Sort of the demi-god story/young hero cliché (Luke Skywalker, Harry Potter, etc) – But in his case, he doesn’t know his father is a king, regular parent (mother), has adventures, rises, finds out eventually…might continue going in that direction further.

Brienne is going to push to let him know who he is and possibly do something with the knowledge – foggy right now, but it looks like it is going that way. And she is also in the vicinity of the people he is with. Uncat, BWB, etc.

Like Hot Pie, he was a part of the Wolf Pack. Arya’s Wolf Pack.

He befriends a girl that Brienne takes for Arya. Poor replacement for Arya…

He has a lot more life experience, life in general, and with battles and being around skilled and notorious people like Beric, Thoros, the Hound, and others, while Edric has none. I think he has learned a lot being around the BWB and before that with his adventures with Arya. Edric was born and hears and learns of what noble/knights/ or warriors do. True, he has had a better education, training too, Shireen as companion, a maester instructor, and more, etc. Gendry is out there doing it. Better prepared for what’s coming than Edric. Just my opinion though….

Arya has saved his life by helping him escape. He had done things for her too, during their time together. So many instances were brimming in their chapters together. All the good things in life: friendship, understanding, security, companionship, looking out for each other, caring, loyalty, respect, challenging, laughter, hope, etc.

He has potential, but there are concerns/ loose ends too. He is another character like the Hound. They are not major/major like the Starks, Dany, etc. but all that build up would seem like it would go somewhere.

what just got to my mind is, when stannis dies, the line of the baratheons will be extinguished. i mean even if his greyscale daughter will marry some lord, she won't keep the name baratheon, and if she doesn't the line will be extinguished after her. or am i forgetting some baratheon cousin here? somehow i don't think, GRRM wants the baratheon line to be extinguished, so one of the bastards will be legitimized. i, personally, would prefer gendry. hammer and all. and we know him better then edric. btw i don't see any of them as king

Gendry would be a better king than his father, he grew up humble without a "doting Jon Connington" looking over him. He also knows who damn terribile it is to be "common" in Westeros. Besides, I would love to see Throros of Myr in the Kingsguard. Arya his queen too.

Who actually knows that Gendry is one of Robert's bastards? Stannis, Brienne and ????? (Ned and Jon Arryn knew but they aren't telling). And why would Stannis promote Gendry over Edric Storm? If Stannis dies without telling anyone about Gendry that leaves Brienne, and who could be reasonable expected to believe her? OTOH, Edric is not a particular secret. The whole idea of Gendry on the IT is unlikely.

Stannis has problem with Edric, because beside being the only known Robert's heir, Edric is spit-in-the-face of Robert in Stannis' face.

Stannis has problem with Edric, because beside being the only known Robert's heir, Edric is spit-in-the-face of Robert in Stannis' face.

I have a feeling Stannis will not be around much longer. I think he is done for.

After the usual suspects, legitimised, he's a strong possibility if (and that's a big one IMHO) the Baratheon line has to persist (Edric is a bit of a red herring I think). Gendry would absolutely hate it though. Almost as much as Robert, which GRRM would surely love. For my tastes that's almost a little bit too perfect an ending, though.

ETA: The show turning Gendry into a maincast character in season 3 doesn't help with discouraging this notion either.

Gendry also worships the red god, he was converted by the Brotherhood as seen in a Brienne chapter somewhere in Feast

I have the High Septon sending the Faith Militant to kill or convert the BwB and destroy the abomination Lady Stoneheart. Gendry decides to convert rather than die, Jaime & Cersei are proven to be the parents of Tommen & Myrcella by the gods (different thread), the High Septon declares Gendry Baratheon, first of his name to be King, calls him the "Smith" incarnate, assumes he will be a useful puppet, the common people go crazy for a King from Fleabottom, then Aegon, Jon Con and the elephants arrive at the gates.

I don't see Gendry as king, but I do see him as recognized, if not legitimized. Maybe, at the end, he will be granted some of the Baratheon holdings, like Storms End, or Dragonstone, dependng who winds up on the IT or its equivalent. It's possible that he might marry Arya - maybe. He has certainly entered the upper tier of characters and someone we foreseerers of the ASoIAF future must keep in mind.

But king? I dnp't think so. Stannis has enough trouble getting supporters and he has a legitimate claim. And no one has disproved Cersei's chldren. Meanwhile (F)Aegon is coming, Dany is coming and the Others are coming. A lot of people will lay claim to that throne before the end.

Every single character who seems nice should end up with a seat of power is probably not the direction this series is heading. Some characters are just going to remain unimportant, despite them hanging out with the POV's.

Gendry has no chance of getting Storms End. With both parents dead there is no one alive to confirm his parentage, its just idyl speculation based on looking like a Baratheon. If Jon was still alive he'd have a chance at being an illegitimate son, nothing more.

In the likely situation that Stannis does not become King then Storms End will be given to some person who will help the eventual monarch sit on the throne

Selyse mentioned that and Stannis replies that it's not Edric's fault. He blames Robert, not Edric. If anything he talked positive about Edric, saying he is charming and he lets him befriend his daughter and gives him the same education as Shireen and Devan. Also he doesn't punish Davos for saving the boy. I don't think Stannis has a problem with him.

I don't see Gendry as king, because I see him having a happy ending :P

I am not so sure about the Gendry/Arya shipping. I don't think Arya is meant to get married, the Kindly Man said that a woman cannot give life and take life, she can only do one of the two, and even though Arya may not complete her FM training, she is already an assassin and will probably become an even better one. So no kids for Arya, and probably no marriage either. I mean seriously, how can you people picture Arya as a bride? She's not that kind of girl! But I agree that Gendry was the person she had the best rapport with, of all the people she has met so far. But they could be, you know, just friends. I sure hope they meet again :)

As for Gendry's future, I hope his is a happy ending, though I don't know what that could be. From how he appears in the books, I don't think he cares one bit about being legitmised, but I hope he finds out who his father is, if only for getting a complete picture about himself.

I think the highest Gendry will ever achieve is a bannerman lord. Maybe if he and Arya meet back up and he helps her out, whomever is king of the north (Jon/Rickon) will legitimize him and give him Dredfort with Arya as his wife (because I see a Rains of Castamear coming on the Boltons).

This is total crackpot, I'm aware, there is no foreshadowing outside slight foreshadowing of Arya ending up with him.

I don't see Gendry as king, because I see him having a happy ending :P

I am not so sure about the Gendry/Arya shipping. I don't think Arya is meant to get married, the Kindly Man said that a woman cannot give life and take life, she can only do one of the two, and even though Arya may not complete her FM training, she is already an assassin and will probably become an even better one. So no kids for Arya, and probably no marriage either. I mean seriously, how can you people picture Arya as a bride? She's not that kind of girl! But I agree that Gendry was the person she had the best rapport with, of all the people she has met so far. But they could be, you know, just friends. I sure hope they meet again :)

As for Gendry's future, I hope his is a happy ending, though I don't know what that could be. From how he appears in the books, I don't think he cares one bit about being legitmised, but I hope he finds out who his father is, if only for getting a complete picture about himself.

Gendry will be the bride. :P

Archived