NFL Thread: Arrest Season Continues

sperry

How has this not happened?!

I assume it is because the owners don't want to. Why wouldn't they want to? I'm speculating here, but I imagine it is because it is much easier to rent out the giant NBA arenas for things like concerts, etc, is possible in summer, whereas it is impossible in the fall. So moving would mean forfeiting a significant revenue stream. Is that a good reason, compared to increasing the relevance of the NBA? No, it's not, but sports owners are a weird cabal of rich men who don't think like normal boarders.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for sweet box jumps, but I thought this video of JJ Watt was pretty sweet. Of course, the article itself is just shamefully bad, as a box jump and a high jump are obviously not the same thing (in a box jump you lift your legs to land on something, in a vertical high jump you measure how high your hand gets above you vs standing with your hand in the air). But regardless, it's a great box jump.

BTW has anyone ever pulled off a box jump higher than their own height? I would think you would have to be short to make that happen, but it would still be pretty awesome.

While we all eagerly await the start of the season I just thought I'd post a little bit more crossover goodness between the NFL and ASoIaF :D

Fitzgerald drove roughly 400 miles from Slovenia to Dubrovnik, where he stayed inside the town’s famous stone walls. “It’s a medieval city,” Fitzgerald says. “It’s well-preserved—there’s really cool architecture and history. It was special.” Another attraction: Dubrovnik is a filming location for the HBO series Game of Thrones, of which Fitzgerald is a big fan. “Who’s not?” he asks. “That and Boardwalk Empire are my two favorites.”

NFL, Players Union agree to HGH study

NFL players will have a blood sample taken during training camp physicals as part of a population study for human growth hormone in order to determine the threshold for a positive test, the NFL Players Association's board of directors said in a memo sent to players Monday that was obtained by ESPN senior NFL Insider Chris Mortensen.

A source, meanwhile, told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that even with the population study, "No one will be suspended for HGH use in 2013."

Adrian Peterson, RGIII and a bunch of other players probably got really nervous until that quote at the end.

NFL, Players Union agree to HGH study

Adrian Peterson, RGIII and a bunch of other players probably got really nervous until that quote at the end.

We'll finally be able to isolate the immortality gene in London Fletcher!

Brian Banks. Ten years ago he was convicted for sexual assault, and spent 5 years in prison before spending 5 years on house-arrest. He was 16 when arrested, and has (if you're good at math, you don't need me to tell you) recently turned 27. Banks was highly recruited as a highschool linebacker, and was committed to USC before his arrest and conviction. Banks has recently been acquitted for the crimes he was convicted for, as it has been proven that the female "victim" lied to put him behind bars. I don't have all of the facts, and NFL.com has removed the story they had posted this morning (along with its links), but Banks is going to be attending the Falcons' training camp and hopes to make the team. Personally, I'm appalled. It's disgusting to see someone lose 10 years of their life due to what appears to have been a personal vendetta, football player or no, but I intend to follow Mr. Banks' story closely. I guess I have at least one person to root for (hopefully) in Atlanta, besides Tony Gonzalez and Steven Jackson. ______ ___ _______ "It is more important that innocence should be protected, than it is, that guilt be punished; for guilt and crimes are so frequent in this world, that all of them cannot be punished.... when innocence itself, is brought to the bar and condemned, especially to die, the subject will exclaim, 'it is immaterial to me whether I behave well or ill, for virtue itself is no security.' And if such a sentiment as this were to take hold in the mind of the subject that would be the end of all security whatsoever" -John Adams- Oh, and fuck Steven Jackson. The Colts made him an offer, fucker turned it down. P.S. It really sucks that I can't hit the <ENTER> key and get a new paragraph started... if anyone has any explanation/solution, I'd be grateful.

When did NFL.com lose all its decent columnists? I know it's been a few years, but I remember checking the site every day and having at least one decent article to read from someone who knew what the fuck they were talking about... http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000219840/article/training-camp-predictions-geno-smith-will-win-jets-qb-battle I think I threw up when he was performing fellatio for Joe Flacco.

There were major Tornado warnings all across Texas yesterday. The public was told to go to Cowboys stadium because there was no chance of touchdowns there.

HTTR!!!

What an insightful addition to this conversation. You sir are obviously a scholar.

In other Cowboys news, it looks as though the transition to the 4-3 from the 3-4 is going fairly smoothly so far under Monte Kiffen. Sean Lee is making a natural transition to the Mike linebacker and looks like he could become one of the best in the league at the spot. With Carr and Claiborne anchoring the modified Tampa 2, this should be an improved defense from last year.

I am still extremely concerned with the Oline as both starting guards are out with injury right now. Both Livings and Bernadaux are hurt. With the new emphasis on the running game, this seems like bad news.

I am not getting my hopes up this year as teams in this much of a transition usually suffer some setbacks. I just hope that it isn't catastrophic this year and that we can retain the same coaching staff for a while to keep consistency.

Major props to Bill Belichick for coming out today and being as open as possible on the whole Aaron Hernandez mess. http://espn.go.com/b...aaron-hernandez

Just judging the optics, I thought he did really well. Probably the most open and forthcoming I've ever seen him in front of the media. A retreat to the regular "I'm just talking about the players that we have on the team" style would have gone over poorly.

Wow, I just read this story and had to share. It's from 2008 so some of you may have heard about it already, but for those who haven't get ready to lose respect for a sporting legend.

Demetress Bell, who was drafted by the Bills in 2008, is the son of Karl Malone, who holds the #2 spot for most points scored in NBA history. You might have heard of him. Malone got Bell's mother pregnant when he was a sophomore in college.... she was 13. During his second year in the NBA with the Jazz, a paternity test proved he was the father and he was ordered to pay child support of $125 a week. The man who would go on to make over $100,000,000 in the NBA claimed that was too much money and settled with the family.

Bell met Malone once when he was 18, and Malone reportedly told him it as too late for him to be a father and he'd have to make it on his own.

Today I learned Karl Malone is a piece of shit.

Wow, I just read this story and had to share. It's from 2008 so some of you may have heard about it already, but for those who haven't get ready to lose respect for a sporting legend.

Demetress Bell, who was drafted by the Bills in 2008, is the son of Karl Malone, who holds the #2 spot for most points scored in NBA history. You might have heard of him. Malone got Bell's mother pregnant when he was a sophomore in college.... she was 13. During his second year in the NBA with the Jazz, a paternity test proved he was the father and he was ordered to pay child support of $125 a week. The man who would go on to make over $100,000,000 in the NBA claimed that was too much money and settled with the family.

Bell met Malone once when he was 18, and Malone reportedly told him it as too late for him to be a father and he'd have to make it on his own.

Today I learned Karl Malone is a piece of shit.

I never knew there was any question about this? Another in a long line of great athletes/ terrible people. This is pretty far up there though. Malone is a legitimate pedophile, and should probably be getting out of prison right about now. Pretty shameful how the public are willing to forgive talented people for pretty much anything. O.J. is really the only I can think of who wasn't convicted but was never forgiven. And who knows what would have happened if he'd been his prime when that happened. There's a fairly reasonable chance all would be forgiven after a couple 2,000 yard seasons cough* Ray Lewis *cough

Well, to try and shift the discussion from the typical pieces of garbage in sports...

Titans rookie Jonathan Willard rescues family from burning car.

He saw the car smoking as he drove on the interstate on the way to training camp and waved the driver over. As flames spread, he and another motorist helped get the woman, three kids, and a dog out of the car before it was engulfed.

Every once in a while, we need a good story like this.

What an insightful addition to this conversation. You sir are obviously a scholar.

In other Cowboys news, it looks as though the transition to the 4-3 from the 3-4 is going fairly smoothly so far under Monte Kiffen. Sean Lee is making a natural transition to the Mike linebacker and looks like he could become one of the best in the league at the spot. With Carr and Claiborne anchoring the modified Tampa 2, this should be an improved defense from last year.

I am still extremely concerned with the Oline as both starting guards are out with injury right now. Both Livings and Bernadaux are hurt. With the new emphasis on the running game, this seems like bad news.

I am not getting my hopes up this year as teams in this much of a transition usually suffer some setbacks. I just hope that it isn't catastrophic this year and that we can retain the same coaching staff for a while to keep consistency.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the best the Cowboys will do this season is third in the NFC East. The only real challenge for the Redskins to repeat as NFC East Champs is the G-men. The Eagles don't matter and Romo always chokes in the big games.

Archived