GOODKIND III

Werthead

Didn't TG say that the people who dislike his books are either too young or too stupid to understand them. I'm sure I read that quote from him. If anybody knows where it is, or what he said regarding it I'd love to hear it. I wouldn't want to misquote him, there's no fun in that.

Goodkind USA Today Q&A

This is a good one. He comes pretty close to what you're saying

Haddonfield, NJ: Second Question - I've noticed similarities between your Sword of Truth series and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series...(Black Sisterhood vs. Black Ajah; The Order vs. The Seanchan; Richard vs. Rand both discovering their powers, both have Nameless evil Gods...etc.) I've often voiced my suspicion that these two series might be occurring on the same world...how crazy am I?

Terry Goodkind: If you notice a similarity, then you probably aren't old enough to read my books.

I know there are at least 1 or 2 other interviews besides this one where Goodkind makes an ass of himself. They're difficult to track down because the links have been removed from his website and his fans(and presumably Terry as well) want to pretend that they never occured. I think I saw the links in an old Goodkind thread however, so someone might still have them.

Mystar ~

It stopped her from doing worse. You must have missed the fact that as Denna had momentarily left the room, Violate was telling him what worse she was about to do... selective reading there WM?

Selective reading? Could you quote us the passage that shows Denna leaving the room? I've been through it a couple times and it seems to me that she is there the entire time. Violet is using the Agiel to torture him, it goes on for a while...

Denna stepped between them, snatching the Agiel from Princess Violet's hand. "Enough! You will kill him if you use the Agiel in that way."

"Thank you, Mistress Denna," he panted. He felt a peculiar affection for her, at the way she stepped to his defense.

Princess Violet took a step back, her face a picture of bad temper. "I don't care if I kill him!"

Denna's voice was cool and authoritative. "Well, I do. He is too valuable to waste in this manner." Denna was clearly the one in charge around here. Not the Princess, not even the Queen. Denna was an agent of Darken Rahl.

Its after this that Violet goes on a little tirade about what she's going to do to Kahlan (the one quoted a few days ago), and sticks out her tongue, thus provoking Richards thing to rise and boot her in the chops. So it would appear that Richard was no longer in danger from her at all. He understood that Denna was in charge and was not going to let Violet hurt him anymore. It seems more and more that Richard kicked her out of sheer spite. My hero.

Nope. Checked the chapter again, Denna is there the entire time. I did however note something interesting while Violet is using the Agiel on Richard: Richard couldn't believe the absurdity of a little girl doing this. Much less enjoying it. This was madness. Ha! is this self-criticism from TG? Recognizing the absurdity of his own story?

Nope. Checked the chapter again, Denna is there the entire time. I did however note something interesting while Violet is using the Agiel on Richard: Richard couldn't believe the absurdity of a little girl doing this. Much less enjoying it. This was madness. Ha! is this self-criticism from TG? Recognizing the absurdity of his own story?

Perhaps he had the smae literature teacher I had. She went off for hours on the imporatnace of the absurd and grotesque in fiction. I rember her berating one student for a suitable definition of grotesque.

Anyway, why will no one address my issue of why such a monoarch as the one that spawned Violet was allowed to remian as ruler if the Mother Connefesor is supposed to prevent such happenings?

TG answered that one himself. I don't remember the specifics, but I think it was something to the extent of the council and confessors not dictating how a nation should be ruled...

Then what exactly are they ruling? And why then would the Confessor have the right to full access of a nation and a monarchs caslte if not to be ready to take action. Very damn confusing if you ask me.

Somewhere, even in the worst of the darkness blanketing her mind, she refused to let the light in his eyes be extinguished by her failure to will herself to live.

Ouch! :stunned:

:rofl:

I'm in a similar situation with both Ringo and Goodkind, I've only read some sample chapters by them both. Goodkind's chapters were pretty poor but the Ringo was so laughable I'm surprised it ever got published. Ringo also wins the title for the SF book I've heard about that I've the least interest in reading - from what I understand the basic plot was that Earth is invaded by nasty aliens, modern armies are apparently too weak to fight them off, so apparently the only solution is to use new rejuvenation technology on veterans of the Waffen SS, because apparently they're the only soldiers good enough to save Earth. :huh: . I am frankly speechless about how anything with that plot summary got published.

Richard laughed. Owen laughed. Cara gave Marilee an approving clap on the back. And then all the men laughed.

Betty pushed in and with a flurry of tail wagging got the point across that she didn't want to be left out.

Richard knelt down and scratched Betty's ears. "And you, my friend, from now on I don't want you letting any Slides using you to spy on people."

Betty pushed her head against his chest as he scratched her ears, and bleated as if to say she was sorry.

Being from a country where some rebel groups use children in war, I won't deny that children can be trained to kill for the cause. I thought that children like that should be saved, and be given better lives. Not gunned down like dogs in the field.

Well, now that Goodkind has bestowed his wisdom upon us, you can now come to the realization that you were wrong. Child soldiers should be promptly kicked in the jaw.

Yet you allow that and much worse on this board as well as others...interesting double standard you have there� so then you are condoning the beating of a child for bad behavior it would seem� double standard indeed!

Ok, I know it's been said, but seriously - we allow kicking 8 year olds in the face on this board? And much worse? You are just as deliriously incoherent as one would expect from a Goodkind fan.

The weakness in your point is that you have failed to include the situation as a whole. You simply would rather pick something take it out of context and try and twist it. Sorry that doesn�€™t fly.

Or, alternatively, people have principles that they won't compromise, one possible here being "do not kick 8 year olds in the face so they die". I can't believe this is a serious discussion. Goodkind is fucking insane.

Oh yeah drug the poor kid� now there's an option :::rollseyes:::

A swift, jaw-crushing and ultimately fatal kick to the face is clearly preferrable. NOT TEH EVIL DRUGS!!!!111

See this again is where you fail. It is always easy to be an armchair critic, or second-guess the actions someone else took. BUT until you are actually there in a given situation you only offer up week speculation as to what you would or would not do.

So you mean Terry Goodkind would never be an armchair critic and second-guess the actions of someone else? That would mean him failing. Imagine that.

I LOVE THIS THREAD.

MMM - give it up - you've read Goodkind. I've only read the first 100 pages or so of WFR, but it was so hideously bad that I just started laughing. I'm tempted to do more sporking, but it seems that Moose's quotes stand pretty well for themselves.

14D - Countries in the midlands get to hold on to their identities and customs so long as they aren't interfering with other peoples etc etc. In this case, Queen Milena doesn't become a nasty tyrant until she begins to enter into an alliance with Darken Rahl, then everything starts going to hell and Violet is given the opportunity to develop into a monster. Can't really be sure what may have been happening before that though. It seems that for a few years before WFR Darken Rahl's influence had been hampering the Confessors ability to hold things together.

mr. nobuddy - The Confessors do interfere in the internal politics of the midlands. IIRC Kahlans mother took the king of Galea for a mate (used her power on him) even though he was a married man. He was plotting to kill his wife or something like that.

I can say two things in favour of TG's writing... so far no Braids have been tugged, and no one has said "Blood and Bloody Ashes." (at least not in the one i'm reading.)

Are you seriously implying that Jordan is somehow worse than Goodkind? I spent the first 100 pages of WFR convinced that Richard was a retarded Forest Gump type character!!!!

mr. nobuddy - The Confessors do interfere in the internal politics of the midlands. IIRC Kahlans mother took the king of Galea for a mate (used her power on him) even though he was a married man. He was plotting to kill his wife or something like that.
Oh yeah, I forgot. It was from memory, and you're right. Should have done my research...

Oh yeah, I forgot. It was from memory, and you're right. Should have done my research...

Don't bother, I'll take one for the team here. There's really no reason for all of us to suffer.

[mod] Keep it clean people. No personal attacks on one another, even esteemed guests stopping by for a good old ramble. ;) [/mod]

As for Goodkind versus Jordan: Googlefight informs us that the results are

Terry Goodkind: 966,000

Robert Jordan: 55 million

Hmm.

Don't bother, I'll take one for the team here. There's really no reason for all of us to suffer.

No, MG, it's not worth it! Save yourself!

"I guess I got...to be a hero after all!"

"Nooooooo!!!!"

Again, you (as you always seem to do) missed the point. Richard had a choice, live or let the evil child become a worse (as she was doing) monster and kill more people than she was currently. OR did you miss the whole she was killing innocent people right and left. So Goodkind takes us to a point where you are forced to realize a choice, stop this sad little evil monster, or be killed

And the part I just bolded illustrates quite well just where we depart. Yes, the child was malicious and had been brought up to be that way, but the terminology you use illustrates a world-view that such cannot ever be changed. Yes, it's very difficult to alter such learned behavior patterns at such an age, but it can be done.

I didn't 'miss the point.' If you had read carefully what I had said, I was referring to general perceptions. I know full well what Goodkind was aiming for in such a passage, basically to show that 'evil' can even take the guise of a petulant, cruel 8 year-old girl. But the execution of that (pardon the horrid pun) was done in such a way that showed a justification for violence to a child to many. You can scream 'but they're missing the point!' until your face is blue and the cows have come home, but the truth remains that for a great many, that passage was interpreted in such a way and that people took a great disgust for the content of Goodkind's fiction, which was reinforced in the first book alone by the kid being sacrificed, the other boys being molested, etc. It's not going to be taken as a 'noble fighting the evils' story as much as a quasi-BDSM, considering the way Goodkind illustrates those passages compared to others. You may disagree, but I'm just merely pointing out how others have in the past stated their unease about his content.

Now while this "is" after all a work of fiction, it has made several inferences with regard to evil and allowing it to run rampant. No one would advocate the harming or maiming of any child, yet in a war or battle for you life, a choice has to be made... So were you in that situation of Richard, you would I'm sure allow the little brat to continue to torture and hurt you, as well as become a worse monster...yes I'm sure you would.

Again, so black/white with everything! Similar logic I suppose has been employed to justify Haditha in recent weeks. :rolleyes: I just see the world differently than you, I suppose. Which is just a shortcut for me saying that I don't care to quote religious texts, catechisms, etc. to illustrate the basic origins of my beliefs on social justice.

I've a certificate in counseling and the psychology of counseling, I'm well aware of the horrific things what go on in this world, as you have stated. Part of my problem with your behavior is that you allow yourself to run amok and unchecked, You, many of you are willing to stretch truth, ridicule and demean others and out right lie.....

Non sequitur. I worked as a residential counselor for almost two years with adolescent boys that had severe emotional/behavioral disorders, many of which were the result of physical/emotional/sexual abuse. I've had to deal with violent outbursts, usually with soft words that deflected the anger or in extraordinary situations with passive restraints. I've even had to go to the ER once because it was thought my left orbital bone was broken by a headbutt from a resident. But I always used the minimal amount of force necessary. I do not permit myself nor did I permit those residents to 'run amok and unchecked,' I just merely used appropriate means that treated them as human beings (therefore, being worthy of respect as such) instead of as inhuman objects. Using words such as 'brats' and 'monsters' is counterproductive to affecting any substantial positive change in a child. But maybe we'll just disagree here as well.

As for the accusations of me being willing to stretch truth, ridicule, and demean...it's not a typical driving force of my persona. I may be sarcastic on occasion, I will cop to that, but I'm afraid you are wielding too broad of a paintbrush to daub myself and these nebulous 'many of you' with such dark colors. I believe throughout this conversation here (as I'm seeing the interaction between you and me in this thread), I have only disagreed with your points and have said just that. We do seem to see the world in very different ways and I just merely disagree strongly with what I'm perceiving from the words you've used. You very well might be a loving, caring father (no reason not to believe this, so I shall have this image of you as being a devoted father), you might be the one to offer words of consolement to a grieving friend or loved one or even a stranger on the street, so who am I to demean you? Words said are only empty symbols unless the recipient chooses to react to them. So I merely shrug at the negative comments directed toward myself, for I do not believe in them. I suggest the same for you in regards to the comments others have made.

So Larry, you have a child who is behaving in the manor you have on the boards...ridiculing, mocking, showing no self restraint, encouraging others to do the same or even worse, are you then saying that such behavior is "ok" and then you go on and pay the child on the back giving him the thumbs up.... Or do you sit down with your charge and try and help show this child how self-destructive this kind of action is. How demeaning others (even if it is someone you don't know or an author), is corrosive to the soul. How it really doesn't harm the one being ridiculed, but rather harms the very nature of the person doing the action... The point is having respect. EVEN when you think it would be funny to blast someone. Showing respect is the show of character of a man.

How interesting...I make a few comments of a milder sort than what I've said when a car waits for 10 seconds after a green light and I get this? I'm sorry, but I don't think what I've said here or elsewhere equals this thread you started. As for treatment for the child, I said briefly above that I do counsel even the most violent of ones whenever possible and that physicality was only employed after they had gone into imminent threat to themselves or others. But considering that I don't make a habit of mocking others (despite your apparent opinions on the matter), then where do we go from here? I'm not the person going onto other sites just to start confrontrations. I post on a half-dozen forums with varying amounts of activity. Considering my SN change here is related to the World Cup, I would think that's a strong clue that my activity here is more social than anything else. But if you want to consider my behavior demeaning, go ahead. Do you think the same of your treatment of Ilya's letter correcting a minor point last year? ;)

You attempt to make us thing you "help" these young people, yet were they to see your actions on these places, they would see your true character and nature, and behave in like manor...dude, your actions have ramifications. even when you think not.

Yes, actions do have consequences, but your point is a faulty one. Does that mean if your children were you see you going from board to board to attack/criticize/give a Grecian backrub to a select few that they could/should judge you differently? I'm not a perfect person nor have I claimed to be one. I go to Confession a few times a year and I do try to repent truly of my sins and shortcomings, but I still make mistakes. Errare humanum est. And in fact, my errors have been used to illustrate points. I have shown that I can apologize for real harm given from a cross word to a child. I have illustrated by my actions that harsh words are not always meant and that forgiveness is a divine thing indeed. Outside of a few matters of being irritated, I choose to use statements on actions rather than on the person directing the actions. But go ahead, cast the first stone if you must.

Archived