MLB 2013 III - When Puigs Fly

Myshkin

last night the pirates beat the nats...again. the upstart darlings of the nl east from last season look like a shell of what was and are getting shithoused again and again at home.

let me explain my ire...or rather my enjoyment in their situation.

i have been attending nats games (mainly to see los doyers) since i came to the dc area. the first few years they were cellar dwellers and the only people in attendance were either fans of general baseball or fans of the visiting team.

then came the strasburg. i was there. holy shit. i stood and cheered as he racked up 14 k's against the pirate hitters. it really felt amazing. he was the one who was promised....or was he?

next we had the harper. the boy is incredibly talented. he earned a chorus of boos his first career at bat at chavez. that is respect, friends. he was kind of a douche last year as a person but put up great numbers. in four years he will really be something special...for the yankees.

these nationals had the best record in baseball last season but faltered in the playoffs. shutting down strasburg may well go down as one of the worst decisions in recent memory. look at him this year. he is just not the savior of baseball that was hoped for.

ah....last season the stadium was packed. red hats everywhere. natitude reigned. the bandwagon was fucking full. sure, winning is cool...but where the fuck were these people when the team was shit?

so, yeah. seeing them getting swept by the dodgers was nice. again the crowd is quiet. again the stadium is not full. again people have ignored them.

ah....last season the stadium was packed. red hats everywhere. natitude reigned. the bandwagon was fucking full. sure, winning is cool...but where the fuck were these people when the team was shit?

Not getting invested in yet another failing sports team? It's not like Washington residents already didn't already have to deal with supporting the Wizards, Redskins, and the Capitals (who were consistently decent until the annual playoff collapse). If the Nats have some sustained success they might be able to ride it through decades of mediocrity like the Redskins, but until then people are going to be wary of getting invested in the team. Speaking of Strasburg, he and the Nats made dubious history last night:

Stephen Strasburg is 1st NL pitcher in modern era (since 1900) w/ 8+ IP, 12+ K while allowing 2 or fewer hits and 0 walks in a loss. (Elias)

As for attendance now, I would have to imagine that while supporting a team of mediocre talent with a losing record is not fun, supporting a quite talented team that seems to have forgotten how to play baseball is more depressing.

I didn't get to see any of it. My heart is sad. I'm especially looking forward to Sunday night though.

It was a nice rare win over Wainwright. As JB pointed out upthread, he has owned us since the trade.

I'd also still love it if someone can explain to me why Chicago made this particular trade. I don't get it.

They shed...some of the salary? It is a pretty weird deal. They still end up shelling out a fortune for nothing over the next couple of years, just not quite as much as they would have if they'd kept him. :dunno:

Yeah, I wouldn't be so confused but for that the Cubs seem to be taking on most of his remaining salary. What a nice deal for the Yankees. If I were a Red Sox fan, I would wonder if Epstein was just messing with my world a bit.

Corey Black isn't an awful prospect. Not an elite guy and the height is a negative, but he's at an age appropriate level and has a good strikeout rate. Will probably end up in the bullpen, but I wouldn't dismiss him as nothing.

From Jason Parks at Baseball Prospectus -

He's a short RHP with a high-effort delivery and a very good FB. I've seen him work 95-plus with ease, showing good late life on the ball. It's a 7 pitch. He's a reliever all the way. I've seen him drop a decent CH before, and I know he had both a CB and SL. He could be a seventh-inning type, but it's a limited ceiling.

They shed...some of the salary? It is a pretty weird deal. They still end up shelling out a fortune for nothing over the next couple of years, just not quite as much as they would have if they'd kept him. :dunno:

It's the Cubs management. Since when have they made a decent deal? (I'm sure there is one back there in the last 50 years. After all they did manage to get into the playoff series for the NL title in 1984.) Still, when one's team has not won a championship in 105 years. :( :(

Oh well, Whiskyjack offered some encouragement. I'll take what I can get.

The dude the Cubs got throws really hard, and they might minorly improve their draft position by being a bit worse without Soriano... and they get another slot to give randoms and prospects with potential some playing time. The only relevant quesiton is, could they have gotten more... I'm not really convinced that they could have, but possibly. I guess the Rangers could kinda use a bat in case Cruz gets suspended or whatever, at which point the question becomes, who's Texas willing to give you?

I just saw on the ticker that the NY Post is reporting that Cashman didn't want to acquire Soriano but was over ruled (by owneship?). Interesting.

Yes. I read that he also didn't want to sign Ichiro, Rafael Soriano and re-sign A-Rod after 2007. A-Rod did a huge deal to help Yanks win the 2009 title so I can always remember that but a 10-year deal at age 32 is obnoxious.

Just saw another Manny Machado highlight and man that kid is a stud. He has such a baby face it seems strange to see him play so well.

In a huge high school tournament in Japan a pitcher threw 772 pitches in 5 games over 9 days. Including starting 4 games in 5 days and averaging 135 pitches per start. The team also practices 5 hours a day 6 days a week. Don't they go to ever have to be in school? A month later, in his next start after the tournament, the kid was throwing 94 again.

Sounds like much more of a warrior/Bushido mentality where pitchers feel honored to pitch until their arms fall off.

Archived