Whose story is this?

Night'sQueen

Its about an ensemble of characters. If it was about one or two characters there wouldn't be so much about the other dozen or so that really prominently feature.

That ensemble is likely Bran, Sansa, Jon, Tyrion, Dany, Arya, Jaime, Davos, Cersei, Catelyn and some more.

At the end of the day, I think it is about the battle and the defeat/victory of the Others.

So on that note, The "main" characters I would say, would be Danny as I feel (as much as I would dislike it) that her dragons will be some sort of "win the day" plot devise thing, but you never know.

And then I think Jon Snow, as his eyes have been the eyes that we have seen the struggle with the Others so far.

But really, every POV is a main character for their respected story :D

Assuming R+L=J, you could take it that Jon is the song of ice and fire. (Because R represents fire and L represents ice)

So going purely on the title I'd say its Jon's story.

Taking into account more than just the title and its impossible to pick out even a few characters as the main characters.

Loaded question.... I think it is as much about "what" as "who". If you are asking the main characters - definitely an ensemble.

Not meant to be loaded, just seeking opinions. I was focusing on characters, but feel free to talk about subject or theme as well.

Not meant to be loaded, just seeking opinions. I was focusing on characters, but feel free to talk about subject or theme as well.

I'll just reiterate what everybody else has been saying. There are 2 underlying stories. The first is about the song of ice (others, Great Other) and fire (dragons, R'hllor). The second is about the game of thrones. The underlying stories are told through many different character perspectives. We happen to learn about their history and backstory throughout the series. There is an underlying theme of gray morality - nothing is all the way good or bad.

ETA: I know that is broad, and there are tons of other deeper themes going on, but that's about as good as I can say in 6 sentences.

I think it's a story that will be read in history classes at Meereen City Community College in a course entitled, "Holy Shit We Dodged A Bullet There 101". That is, it's a story about the social upheaval of Westeros, specifically focusing on the Starks, Lannisters, Baratheons, and Targaryens. Historians hundreds of even thousands of years in the future will look back at each event and wonder how foolish their ancestors were.

I think it's a story that will be read in history classes at Meereen City Community College in a course entitled, "Holy Shit We Dodged A Bullet There 101". That is, it's a story about the social upheaval of Westeros, specifically focusing on the Starks, Lannisters, Baratheons, and Targaryens. Historians hundreds of even thousands of years in the future will look back at each event and wonder how foolish their ancestors were.

LOL.

I'm imaginging a bunch of trustifarians in sweatpants at Oldtown U sexting each other while their prof is like "...and then two Baratheon brothers, Renly and Stannis, also claimed the crown, the former killed the latter, and send a fleet to claim the throne. In the meantime Robb of House Stark was killed at a wedding. Also there was much crop burning. Is anyone awake? Voodoo economics."

To quote myself from another similar topic:

The Song of Ice and Fire:

I think the reason it's the Song and not the War, is because over the years the occasional smarter than average person comes along and realizes that neither can exist without the other. When the last Targ dragon died the winters started getting longer and harsher. You remove the fire element and you have what we have now, ice beings plunging the land into eternal night and cold. You take away the Ice element and the fire burns and consumes everything. So in essence they both have to exist to keep the other in check. Or, what could end up being the "bittersweet" part, is that they must both be extinguished. Personally I would prefer the former, I would rather see the two exist peacefully but most likely we'll end up with the latter and will have neither one when it's all said and done. Maybe that's what Rhaegar realized and that's why he tried to merge the two, in order to save them both, but with the way these books go I hate to admit it will most likely end badly for the Ice and the Fire.

Each storyline is a part and each character is an instrument.

Archived