Whose story is this?

Night'sQueen

It's all just one big, elaborate dream by Bran. He's actually just still hanging out in bed and Nan is reciting this whole thing. Nothing really happened.

hahah if that happend id personally murder grrm much as i love the guy lol :laugh:

In order of characters importance i kind of think of it like this

tier 1 (all pretty equal)

tyrion--------jon------------dany

tier 1-a

bran----arya---sansa---cersei---jamie----theon

tier 2

arianne---victarion---davos---sam---brienne

wildcards

LF. Varys

then everyone else

i'd throw ned in tier 1 and catelyn in tier 1a while th

From the beginning I had the feeling it was never about the throne or one person who's going to sit on it,it was about the Wall and the Others. So I would say this story is a sum of all the characters who would have important role to play in coming war. Jon,for sure cause he's been the only one who was uot there on and beyond the wall all time,Bran cause his story has little or nothing to do with other stories,all that build up must be for something. Dany only cause dragons are obvious choice in fighting things that have to be burned to die. Everyone will have a role to play imho.

I think it's a story that will be read in history classes at Meereen City Community College in a course entitled, "Holy Shit We Dodged A Bullet There 101". That is, it's a story about the social upheaval of Westeros, specifically focusing on the Starks, Lannisters, Baratheons, and Targaryens. Historians hundreds of even thousands of years in the future will look back at each event and wonder how foolish their ancestors were.

:bowdown:

Pretty much this.

Not just MCCC, but the whole planet. "Why is humanity not a race of living Sno-Cones? As stupid as our ancestors were, the Others must have had brains of rock."

I think it's a story that will be read in history classes at Meereen City Community College in a course entitled, "Holy Shit We Dodged A Bullet There 101". That is, it's a story about the social upheaval of Westeros, specifically focusing on the Starks, Lannisters, Baratheons, and Targaryens. Historians hundreds of even thousands of years in the future will look back at each event and wonder how foolish their ancestors were.

Brilliant. LOL

LOL.

I'm imaginging a bunch of trustifarians in sweatpants at Oldtown U sexting each other while their prof is like "...and then two Baratheon brothers, Renly and Stannis, also claimed the crown, the former killed the latter, and send a fleet to claim the throne. In the meantime Robb of House Stark was killed at a wedding. Also there was much crop burning. Is anyone awake? Voodoo economics."

Also brilliant. Voodoo economics.

At the end of the day, I think it is about the battle and the defeat/victory of the Others.

So on that note, The "main" characters I would say, would be Danny as I feel (as much as I would dislike it) that her dragons will be some sort of "win the day" plot devise thing, but you never know.

And then I think Jon Snow, as his eyes have been the eyes that we have seen the struggle with the Others so far.

But really, every POV is a main character for their respected story :D

This is where I was at one point too ( liking Dany though), but now I'm starting to view the overall story differently. I'm going to put together a longer OP on this...

Assuming R+L=J, you could take it that Jon is the song of ice and fire. (Because R represents fire and L represents ice)

So going purely on the title I'd say its Jon's story.

Taking into account more than just the title and its impossible to pick out even a few characters as the main characters.

I think its about the return of the Others and the Dragons (Ice and Fire)

it's a story of Jon and Dany, Ice and Fire.

Jon's

The general consesus, and I believe Martin has confirmed this, is that there is not one main character.

That being said, Jon Snow is the main hero.

I think a strong case could be made for this being primarily Jon's or Jon and Dany's story. I'm working on a different idea but wanted to see where other readers stood on this. I hope you all will debate with me when I put out a longer post on this. :)

From the beginning I had the feeling it was never about the throne or one person who's going to sit on it,it was about the Wall and the Others. So I would say this story is a sum of all the characters who would have important role to play in coming war. Jon,for sure cause he's been the only one who was uot there on and beyond the wall all time,Bran cause his story has little or nothing to do with other stories,all that build up must be for something. Dany only cause dragons are obvious choice in fighting things that have to be burned to die. Everyone will have a role to play imho.

Yes to everything you said. I see the conflict with the Others as primary, but with each reading my view on primary characters vs. ensemble changes...

I'd say it is the story of the world and it's Song of Ice and Fire actually. But if I had to pick characters, I'd say that it's an ensemble of all the mayor point-of-view characters, since they all play a role in how the Song of Ice and Fire turn out. Some characters, like Jon or Daenerys might be more closely intwined with the Song (maybe, we don't know yet), but everyone among the main cast, plays their part I believe: Eddard, Catelyn, Sansa, Arya, Bran, Jon, Theon, Cersei, Jamie, Tyrion, Daenerys, Brienne, Davos, Samwell.

The story is about politics and deception, well that's why I'm reading it anyway :)

I guess it all depends on who you want to know more about, and who you care about the most.

Personally Dany's story doesn't interest me and I honestly don't see how she's one of the mains when she's not playing the GoT. To me, Sansa and Arya are more important and interesting and their arcs have more depth to the story.

But that's my opinion and I guess the best thing about the series is that it's the story of many characters. You decide whose story you want to read

Archived