Did Drogon kill/eat the Shepards Daughter?

direwienerdog

I've had a problem with this part of the story sense I first. It seems to come at a time when Dany is learning what it means to rule a Kingdom.

The Shepards are bring in charred bones of sheep that Dany feels compelled to compensate them for monetarily.

The last man has a bag of charred child's remains.

The consequences for this supposed attack are devastating for Dany and her dragons.

The dragons are confined in an area under the fighting pits. They are chained and locked in.

The fact that Dany's fear of just a situation where her dragons start feasting on humans is played upon just strikes me as wrong.

Other than times when Dany or the dragons are under attack, or times Dany commands them with dracarys I don't remember them ever harming a human( other than scrapes, nips at feeding time.

This entire situation smacks of conspiracy and I'm not prone to believe it.

Could the Shepard be in the employ of someone who would like to see Dany lose control of, or be isolated from her dragons?

Maybe it a crackpot theory but please weigh in none the less please.

Hmm I thought he came across as a pretty honest shepherd. Dany is the one who imposed the restriction on the dragons, and any conspirators couldn't be sure to get any reaction from Dany.

There are also rumors about Drogon eating humans after he escapes getting chained in the dragonpit.

I believe that Drogon is totally capable of devouring children. And that he has been.

He seemed genuinely devastated when he presented the bones to Dany. I doubt he was that good an actor or brave enough to try and bluff her. I think he saw his daughter killed by Drogon like he claimed. We are meant to realise the dragons are growing wild and increasingly dangerous. The scene with Drogon in the fighting pit and the Quentyn debacle and its aftermath confirms this to the world. Dany could only keep a lid on things for so long. Hazzea was the warning and she acted on it: but it wasn't enough.

Hm....interesting thinking.

Although dragons getting more and more uncontrollable and wild through ADWD speaks against your theory. Shepard's daughter (by name of Hazzea) was just a culmination, but I think Dany notes several times how she has difficulties controlling dragons.

Daughter, not son.

And yes, the reader is meant to be kept guessing. Dany suspects, but cannot prove the play. Quentyn made it irrelevant anyway.

Agreed.

Drogon ate that little girl, the only reason Quentyn wasn't eaten too its because Drogon wasn't with the dragons he tried to ride.

ETA: I assume the dragon that killed him belongs to Victarion, and Quentyn's dragon will eventually bind with another rider.

I think it could be the work of the Harpy's sons. They killed burned his daughter and are keeping his living children. His devastation would be real at least. And it had the desired affect on dany.

Also dany's dragons never preyed on humans before that. Drogon did eat the boar fighter woman, but he didn't kill her. It seems weird because its an isolated incident, and why didn't dragon carry her off if she was so small?

Hazzea was killed, no doubt. But who? Drogon or Dany's enemies? The father's expression of deep sorrow of losing his child seemed legit and Dany who also lost her babe know how painful it is. The man has no other witness, only burnt bones are his evidence. Did he tried to save his child? If he did try to save Hazzea, did Drogon attacked him too? Why not call for help? Why watch and wait till Drogon spit the bones? Dany did not bother to ask but she believed the man and ordered the dragons chained. If it's only Dany's enemies' ploy, then they succeed in getting rid of Dany's fire and blood (they've weakened her position and she has no way to train or be with her "children").

I think it could be the work of the Harpy's sons. They killed burned his daughter and are keeping his living children. His devastation would be real at least. And it had the desired affect on dany.

Also dany's dragons never preyed on humans before that. Drogon did eat the boar fighter woman, but he didn't kill her. It seems weird because its an isolated incident, and why didn't dragon carry her off if she was so small?

Because that's not how they feed.

Hazzea was killed, no doubt. But who? Drogon or Dany's enemies? The father's expression of deep sorrow of losing his child seemed legit and Dany who also lost her babe know how painful it is. The man has no other witness, only burnt bones are his evidence. Did he tried to save his child? If he did try to save Hazzea, did Drogon attacked him too? Why not call for help? Why watch and wait till Drogon spit the bones? Dany did not bother to ask but she believed the man and ordered the dragons chained. If it's only Dany's enemies' ploy, then they succeed in getting rid of Dany's fire and blood (they've weakened her position and she has no way to train or be with her "children").

I interested in hearing how you imagine you could save or help someone who was burned to death in under a few seconds. Before blaming the father who just lost his daughter to a monstrous beast for not doing more, could you explain how doing anything would have helped her?

Daughter, not son.

And yes, the reader is meant to be kept guessing. Dany suspects, but cannot prove the play. Quentyn made it irrelevant anyway.

Thanks for the correct sex of the child as well as the name.

As to Quentyn making it irrelevant, haven't the dragons been confined for sometime by the time Quentyn tries for his Dragon?

Other than times when Dany or the dragons are under attack, or times Dany commands them with dracarys I don't remember them ever harming a human( other than scrapes, nips at feeding time.

Drogon hears the noise and smells the blood from the fighting pits. He has no problem with eating both boar and human on the floor. No, I don't think it's a conspiracy, I think it's an untrained dragon being an untrained dragon.

It would be an incredibly useless twist to have the shepard trick Dany. It's much more profound when she finally discovers her "children" are dangerous instead of pretending like she can control them

But this has the effect of making them even less controllable.By the time Quentyn makes his play they are nearly feral. So it's just another of Dany's myriad mistakes?

Drogon hears the noise and smells the blood from the fighting pits. He has no problem with eating both boar and human on the floor. No, I don't think it's a conspiracy, I think it's an untrained dragon being an untrained dragon.

Wasn't Dany in danger at the time Drogon appears? Couldn't that explain some of Drogons behavior?

Wasn't Dany in danger at the time Drogon appears? Couldn't that explain some of Drogons behavior?

Nope. Drogon apears, eats the boar that just won a fight with a human fighter, eats the fighter, and then people come at him, and then Dany shows up with the whip.

Hm....interesting thinking.

Although dragons getting more and more uncontrollable and wild through ADWD speaks against your theory. Shepard's daughter (by name of Hazzea) was just a culmination, but I think Dany notes several times how she has difficulties controlling dragons.

Yes she is having trouble controlling dragons plural. But isn't it Drogon's egg she sleeps with? It's Drogon she is bonded with and when the attempted assassination occurs, isn't it Drogon who shows up? Doesn't this bring any questions about control and how it may work?

I mean, there were the poisoned locusts, but I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that dragons are like direwolves and have a sixth sense for whenever their master is in danger. It seems more likely that Drogon was just in the mood for a tasty snack.

It would be an incredibly useless twist to have the shepard trick Dany. It's much more profound when she finally discovers her "children" are dangerous instead of pretending like she can control them

Agree. Dany was getting played by the Harpy well enough without this thrown in. The dragons, while powerful beings, are monsters too.

Archived