How does Margeary's trial end? The High Septon alone decides, Guilty or not?

Lord Damian

Given the Epilogue of ADWD, the affect it wil have on the trial of Margeary which is not going to be one of combat but the way Tyrion's trial went, initiailly anyway. The High Septon (who actually has morals) and he seems a zealot compared to past Septons. His predecesor seems to have been murdered by Cercei's command because Tyrion appointed him. i wonder if Margeary thinks the trial is going bad for her, could she since she is queen, have ser Robert Strong fight for her. She is the reigning queen so it seems logical or will her decadent brother Ser Loras, whom everyone is told to be near death, swoops in and defends her and against whom? i think it would be more interesting for the story if she is found guilty and dies but who knows. What does everyone out there think will go down with this "trial"?

Surprisingly, I think it comes down to the evidence.

The High Septon is an austere, hard individual, but he also shows a great deal of intelligence and savvy. He smelled Cersei's scheme out and quickly turned the tables on her, and even if she hasn't confessed to treason or deicide (just common sins) he undoubtedly suspects Cersei was using him to get rid of a political rival.

So, he'll gather all the evidence, have it presented at the Trial, and frankly anything less than video tape evidence will result in an acquittal. He might suspect, he might have a second sense to tell when people are lying, but he won't call for the headsmen unless he can show the rest of King Landing the truth. Otherwise, Mace Tyrell would order an attack on the Sept and his bannerman would follow. With the irrefutable evidence, the bannerman would more likely refuse even if Mace maintained his daugther's innocence.

I don't think the Tyrells would allow her to be executed, even if she was guilty. Things could get tricky, if evidence emerged that she'd poisoned Joffrey.

Agreed. The Tyrells have already sent their vanguard to secure her release from the High Septon until the trial (something he smartly agreed to) so I think it is very clear that they are intended on seeing her freed one way or another. If the High Septon is smart and wants to avoid bloodshed, he best make sure she is acquitted.

Like what others gave said I believe the HS is intelligent enough to know not to mess with House Tyrell. Mace is, on paper at the very least, the most powerful man in the realm. He may be a religious zealot but killing his daughter is probably the quickest way for him to lose all he's gained from Cersei.

Like most of the other posts, I definitely don't think she'll die. Mace and the HS will probably come to some agreement about her acquittal but there will be some punishment involved for sure. The HS is too much of a zealot to let even an accusation of adultery go unpunished. I don't think she'll get a walk of shame, but it will probably be something she finds equally humiliating.

Queens weren't necessarily executed for adultery. So, i'm not certain that the HS would be pressing for a death sentence, if she were convicted. Cersei, however, faces much graver charges.

I don't think she'll die only because there ain't seem to be anyone who truly tried to convict her. The Kettleback one was discover has a Cersei's agent so whatever he says he doesn't have credibility any more.

We can add that Tyrell strenght in KL will prevent anything to happen to the young queen whatever the HS will say anyway.

Someone the other day made a thread asking what the next great plot twist would be. Imagine it is the execution of BOTH Queens. As one person already said, KL is already loaded with Tyrell bannermen who would probably raze the city if Margaery is harmed.

This seems to fall right in line with what Varys is trying to accomplish right now. I don't exactly know how he would pull it off. Maybe if the Faith says Margaery is guilty of a minor offense, and then Varys has her murdered making it look like the Faith did it? I don't know, Margaery dying would be great for Aegon so you can bet Varys is gunna try to make that happen.

I would say, she will be found innocent.

Smallfolk LOVES her. I'm pretty sure that tHS doesn't want an another riot in the city. He wouldn't risk it.

She would be a perfect queen for Aegon...

SPOILERS from tWoW

Arianne II,

They say a Tyrell army rides from KL. Mace refused to march his army from the city before his daughter is found innocent. So, I think she found innocent.

I think one has to look at all that is said about Margeary's imprisonment is from someone who is unreliable (people feeding Cersei info) or a Tyrell sympathizer. I believe that Margeary may not even still be accused. The Tyrells and Margeary especially are big believers in the Faith. If she is still on trial (which I doubt because as previously said the High Septon seems to be all about evidence and the only real evidence is Pycelle and his moon tea. Could Pycelle have switched sides and been paid to say that by one of the Tyrells? Now that Pycelle is supposedly dead (by Varys's hand) could the trial also be labeled a mistrial because Pycelle is no longer around to give evidence? If somehow it still goes through, Loras will be found to be healthier than what has been heard and he will defend her in a trial of combat.

Archived