That POV character you could care less about

jeffklm

No he is not. If we are talking character alignment here, Tyrion is actually closer to true Neutral in the beginning but goes into Neutral Evil rather quickly.

Thankfully it's almost assured he will eventually go back to either Neutral or Neutral good by the middle or end of Winds.

I just think it's doubtful that Martin will let his self-admitted favorite character linger at rock bottom for the rest of the series.

Martin does love Tyrion, but he also acknowledges that a lot of the things he does are bad and he sides with the wrong people. I think Martin even referred to him as a "likable villain" at one point.

No he is not. If we are talking character alignment here, Tyrion is actually closer to true Neutral in the beginning but goes into Neutral Evil rather quickly.

Agree.

Nope. Most likely outcome is Lawful Evil.

And agree again.

I'm always amused by how many on here know D&D alignments. Not really surprised though.

Martin does love Tyrion, but he also acknowledges that a lot of the things he does are bad and he sides with the wrong people. I think Martin even referred to him as a "likable villain" at one point.

In one interview, he brought Tyrion up when asked a question about villians.

I don't think Tyrion will be the same as we was in Game and Clash, but i do think his outlook on life and overall attitude will change in the later books.

Agree.

And agree again.

I'm always amused by how many on here know D&D alignments. Not really surprised though.

Hehe. Well seeing how Tywin was more Lawful Evil and Tyrion is becoming mini-Tywin, yeah. :P And yeah i played a lot of DnD. Mostly 3rd edition.

I don't think Tyrion will be the same as we was in Game and Clash, but i do think his outlook on life and overall attitude will change in the later books.

I think by the end of the books, when he's Lord of Casterly Rock; all alone (yes I think that'll happen), Tyrion will be one of the characters that has changed most over the course of the series.

I'm not sure if Tyrion is a villain, but he has done some very nasty things and I think he's a very dark shade of gray.

Agree. Tyrion is honestly the hardest character to still like at this point in the story. It's almost like having a friend or family member who was once a great person to be around, but has slowly turned into a scumbag. You know their capable of being a decent person, but you can't excuse or ignore the terrible things they've done. And at some level you know they will never be the person they once were.

Thankfully it's almost assured he will eventually go back to either Neutral or Neutral good by the middle or end of Winds.

Really? Where's the textual evidence for this? His stated purpose in going to Meereen is to join up with an individual who wants to rain indiscriminate death and destruction on those she feels wronged her family; and let's not forget that she can't even control the weapons of mass destruction that answer to the names Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viseryon. He wants to rape and kill his remaining siblings, he's conspiring with sellswords, and he's also teamed up with a convicted slaver. These are not signs that indicate a turnaround or an embrace of all things good.

Really? Where's the textual evidence for this? His stated purpose in going to Meereen is to join up with an individual who wants to rain indiscriminate death and destruction on those she feels wronged her family; and let's not forget that she can't even control the weapons of mass destruction that answer to the names Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viseryon. He wants to rape and kill his remaining siblings, he's conspiring with sellswords, and he's also teamed up with a convicted slaver. These are not signs that indicate a turnaround or an embrace of all things good.

It is my own personal opinion, which in the light of your listed evidence does not seem at all likely anymore.

Bs

I don't appreciate rapists.

I also detest dany, she crucified a large amount of people without proof of crime.

ETA: I don't appreciate being told to "tell the truth" if you have an issue we can duke it out in pm, brah.

I only said that cause he was pretty likable in the first few books, ADWD is another story.

Also not sure why your bringing Dany into it.

Agree. Tyrion is honestly the hardest character to still like at this point in the story. It's almost like having a friend or family member who was once a great person to be around, but has slowly turned into a scumbag. You know their capable of being a decent person, but you can't excuse or ignore the terrible things they've done. And at some level you know they will never be the person they once were.

Eh, he wasn't all that nice at the beginning either. In aGoT and aCoK Tyrion

1. knows about the incest and still fights to keep Joffrey in power

2. knows that Joffrey is insane and sadistic and still fights to keep him in power

3. knows about Bran's defenestration and stays silent (I forgive this one because he loves Jaime)

4. breaks Marillion's hand out of pure spite

5. lets Joff Joff nail helmets to men's heads and fling them from catapults

6. has a singer murdered and turned into stew

7. slaps Shae across the face a few times

8. is actually a pretty big jerk to Jon initially (trying to upset him/ rile him up, and he even kind of admits it)

Not that this is a huge accomplishment, as "best Lannister" is kind of like saying "drier than the sea," but I think Jaime is the Lannister worth much of anything (and even he's a pretty deplorable jerk).

I like him more now strangely. Him arming a bunch of savage terrorists happened so long ago I sometimes forget about it. He's still sympathetic to the Penny, even a bit to Jorah but damn, I think he really wants to kill his family and anyone else that gets in the way of that, that's why I said Chaotic Neutral Good.

He definitely had likeable moments in the first few books, but damn, how many people in the Vale are suffering because he was too weak to die?

<snip

In all honesty, i'm more willing to forgive what a character does if the character is entertaining and/or interesting. Now i know that isn't a very unbiased or objective way to look at a character, but that's how i view them and you can say what ever you want about it.

Archived