That POV character you could care less about

jeffklm

Also yeah I know it's subjective, I just really like Cat.

The only POVs I don't really relish are Areo Hotah, but he's got like, 2 chapters or something so I don't really mind.

The iron born parts in AFFC were apparently originally conceived as a prologue of sorts but Martin spread it though out the book instead. It's a bit long and boring in places I agree.

Dorne is just as "bad". Maybe have Quentyn as a POV from ACOK or ASOS going forward but he gets introduced to late for me to care as much as I do about other characters. Still, I have faith. Martin can still pull the Theon arc in ADWD out when he wants to show off, maybe Dorne related things will be just as good.

Also, I love Dany, but I understand some people don't love her at all. I don't see her as a distraction from the more interesting goings on in Westeros, I love her character so Essos being a bit less well written than Westeros doesn't really grate with me so much. Plus she does some awesome things in AGOT & ASOS.

Jon hate I found hard to believe when I was a lurker here previously. I thought he would have been a all out fan favorite because he's awesome IMO.

Brienne POV is a bit boring in AFFC.

Tbh, not much happens in either AFFC or ADWD, but together they have set up TWOW really well. Just look at the threads and speculation here.

Sansa I have always liked. I think she is a great portal into a lot of KL goings on when she's there, and then at the Eerie she has been a great portal on LF. howewvrr, I do also like her. She's an idiot etc but she is an 11 year old girl or something at the start. I truly wonder where Martin is going with her... I think obviously she's learning to play te game, but will she be LF undoing? Is GRRM that obvious a writer?! Intriguing stuff IMO.

Admit it, there's that one POV character who you just really don't care about. When you see their name heading the next chapter you're just like UGH. But you made yourself read those chapters anyway even though you have this massive weight in your stomach, wanting the chapter to end already.

This is gonna be an unpopular opinion for sure, but for me it was Jon Snow. I just don't find his story that interesting compared to the others. Most of his chapters just feel like a "checking in" and nothing really happens. Oh great, here's another chapter of Jon making stupid decisions and displaying his incompetence. I can't express enough how much I loathe seeing his name on the next chapter I'm reading.

So which POV character is it for you? And why?

Well, GRRM is too good a writer for me to really despair when I see a name appear but Areo Hotah, Arianne and Aeron "Damphair" all leave me entirely ambivalent to them as characters. The internal voice of characters plays a big part in how the tone and pacing of their pov chapters unfold and in how the events covered are conveyed to the readers. GRRM does this well, imbuing each chapter with the personality of the pov "author" but that can backfire for me as, e.g., the kingsmoot just feels drab and gray rather than vibrant and dramatic. None of the major povs evoke that feeling in me which is part of the reaon I think GRRM should have refrained from extending his range - no one can create a limitless number of interesting characters.

As of the end of DwD I couldn't care less for Sansa POV. She is boring and uninteresting to me. When she finally, or if she ever does anything exciting or heroic that I think is note worthy then I might not cringe when I see her POV heading. Until then I shall only take joy in seeing LF when I have to read her chapters to get through the story.

She's essentially the Littlefinger POV at this point. It's the only reason I can see for GRRM to write about her.

I also suspect that GRRM is using Sansa to make a statement about faerie tales, though I'm not very good at deciphering that sort thing so I may be wrong.

She's essentially the Littlefinger POV at this point. It's the only reason I can see for GRRM to write about her.

I also suspect that GRRM is using Sansa to make a statement about faerie tales, though I'm not very good at deciphering that sort thing so I may be wrong.

Really? With all the foreshadowing around Sansa and the hints on Stark history, you think the only possible reason Martin would include her as a POV is for Littlefinger?

Really? With all the foreshadowing around Sansa and the hints on Stark history, you think the only possible reason Martin would include her as a POV is for Littlefinger?

Have to agree with this. Also Kitty have I ever said I love your sig?

My first time reading through I found all of the NW POVs, Cat POVs, Arya POVs, and the Ironborn POVs all fairly boring and basically skimmed through them (I actually skipped the RW and found out after the fact and had to go back and reread it) - but I also read all 5 books in one sitting over the course of a week, so my eyes and mind were too tired to really appreciate them. On the second and third read through, I seriously enjoyed all of these POVs and was often moved to tears by Cat's chapters in most of AGoT.

What I do find underwhelming are, as many have stated, the Dany chapters in ADwD - her dalliance with Daario bores me, and they're especially underwhelming in comparison to how dynamic her story was up to that point. The last chapter does seem to pick things up again and set her back on track though, so I have hope for tWoW.

POV wishlist: I would dearly love to read a Queen of Thorns POV - it would be so amusing to read her internal thoughts/snark on all of the different players in the game of thrones and I just overall feel as if we don't see enough of her (~ T3T)~

Foreshadowing-smoreshadowing!

Stark history??

Yes, LF IS the only thing keeping her going.

It is possible he will take her to wife - right before he grabs the IT. So, she finally will become queen. That could happen.

Stark history??

It is possible he will take her to wife - right before he grabs the IT. So, she finally will become queen. That could happen.

Please perish that thought.

Sansa is a POV because she shows us how, when the high lords play their game of thrones, it is the innocents that are hurt. Sansa at the beginning of the series represents the illusions of the society of Westeros - that chivalrous knights in shining armor slay terrible monsters and rescue fair maidens, that queens are gentle and kings are just, that life is this lovely song filled with lemon cakes (interesting to note the role that lemons seem to have in representing innocence - Dany's memories of childhood also revolve around a lemon tree - I don't think this is a coincidence). As we follow her POV, we see Martin destroying these illusions and showing, in an extremely intimate way, the brutality that lies underneath. In fact, of all the POVs, Sansa is probably the one most aligned with the reader in her initial expectation of a happily ever after, and her despair and struggle to move on when those expectations are shattered and brutalized.

More than that, Sansa's POV is a very well written coming-of-age as she learns to let go of her fairy tales and face reality (ending childhood and entering young adulthood, though her transition is much more jarring than usual) and her struggle to remain true to herself and the values of her family while learning the lies and subterfuge necessary for survival in the game of thrones she has been tossed into. To reference the amazing reread threads on her~ Sansa's story is about her transition from pawn to player - a struggle to no longer be a piece on the cyvasse board and to become a player who has an active hand in deciding her own fate.

Certainly her proximity to LF adds an extra element of interest to her POVs since he is, after all, a fascinating character. But it is Sansa who is the actual motivating voice behind them.

Dany. I just couldn't with that. Ditto for any Tyrion chapter with Penny and/or the line "Where do whores go?"

Dany in ADwD was so painful and this is coming from someone who loves her :crying:

But seriously, where do whores go? (I found Penny so asinine though, I spent half those POVs wanting to slap her silly)

In AGOT I didn't think any of the POV characters were to bad. Probably just Sansa, Bran and some of Mother stark's chapters.

In ACOK I can't really remember. I don't think it was that bad either, just maybe Sansa.

SOS was an improvement overall but that was when I started to get annoyed with some characters. Brienne had some boring chapters and so did Davos. I hated Davos's chapters. They just didn't seem to be very interesting.

AFFC was probably my least favorite book. Although it had some awesome moments It also had a lot of bad ones. Nearly all the chapters with Greyjoy's were boring especially the drowned priest. It was really hard not to skip over his chapters. Also the Dorne chapters were almost equally as bad. Granted; there were some good ones but over all I didn't like it.

ADWD made up for AFFC but it still had some of the boring POVs.

]

Have to agree with this. Also Kitty have I ever said I love your sig?

Thanks. :) I've got quite a few comments on it.

Stark history??

Well, the fact that you even suggest he would grab the IT tells me everything I need to know about your analysis.

Archived