That POV character you could care less about

jeffklm

To be fair, nothing interesting-Sansa-related happens: Brienne is pretty much following Arya's footsteps only she didn't know about it.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong in the next two books, but her POV just seems unnecessary. What would happen if you just took her chapters out? Nothing, that I can see. Correct me if you think I'm wrong.

You can say the same foe Arya, I suppose, since she's been so isolated from all the other characters, but she gets some slack for being there since the beginning, her story if s important as any other in the series. But Brienne is a Johnny-come-lately, and I just don't think her POV was as justified as Cersei's, or Davos's, or Samewell's.

To be fair, nothing interesting-Sansa-related happens: Brienne is pretty much following Arya's footsteps only she didn't know about it.

Brienne also gets to recognize Gendry as Renly-related and avenge Jaime's hand before she finds out what happened to The Hound after Arya left him, but then again, that's not Sansa-related either.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong in the next two books, but her POV just seems unnecessary...

The problem is that Brienne was charged with the search for Sansa, so it stands to reason that clue after clue about Arya's whereabouts, Gendry's true origins, Sandor Clegane's fate and/or Jaime's ultimate fate - among others (like Stoneheart) - the last place you would ever find the Maid of Tarth would be the Eyrie.

I reckon how that could be frustrating if you were interested in the only plot point Brienne POVs never touched.

The problem is that Brienne was charged with the search for Sansa, so it stands to reason that clue after clue about Arya's whereabouts, Gendry's true origins, Sandor Clegane's fate and/or Jaime's ultimate fate - among others (like Stoneheart) - the last place you would ever find the Maid of Tarth would be the Eyrie.

I reckon how that could be frustrating if you were interested in the only plot point Brienne POVs never touched.

i agree they might get frustrating in the 'sansa' context, and also that without brienne's chapters, like you illuminated, you would have no idea about all these characters you mentioned, nor what the heck cracklaw point contains, nor anything about brienne's background and how she developed into the Lady/Ser we and Podrick follow.

Oh, not again. Another "If you don't like X, you're a misogynistic pig!". I have a very radical pro-feminist point of view, I'm even against the patriarchal family etc.

But I don't like Dany. I like Brienne as a character, but her misadventures with the likes of Nimble Dick are just plain boring.

I understand that some people hate Dany or other women because they're sexist (like the ones who try to pick on Dany because she's sleeping with whoever), but sometimes we just don't like them or their chapters. Get over it.

You're putting words in my mouth.

Lots of the people who don't like strong women are women.

And I didn't make the same claim about Dany - she's strong too, at times, but she's an altogether different person. I didn't keep track of who disliked the Brienne POV or any other, but it wasn't 50-50, men-women. Still there were quite a few women who did not like Brienne.

I get your point that it's not a woman thing, it's a boring thing, but I would counter that if Brienne had been Brian - a man - that would have been tedious indeed.

Having a woman at the center of the action changes all the dynamics. While nothing appears to happen, you see the world through entirely different eyes. The things Brienne is faced with are 100% different than a male knight of her skill would endure. If that's not enough to compel you, fine. No skin off my nose, but your reaction is all too predictable no matter what your political leanings.

I enjoy her POV because it is completely fresh and new.

Maybe you'd prefer your strong woman to be a thinking type - a female Tyrion?

Maybe I'll be proved wrong in the next two books, but her POV just seems unnecessary. What would happen if you just took her chapters out? Nothing, that I can see. Correct me if you think I'm wrong.

You can say the same foe Arya, I suppose, since she's been so isolated from all the other characters, but she gets some slack for being there since the beginning, her story if s important as any other in the series. But Brienne is a Johnny-come-lately, and I just don't think her POV was as justified as Cersei's, or Davos's, or Samewell's.

It's really a question of perspective. If we're discussing how much Brienne's chapters motivate the central plot of the story (i.e. the game of thrones) it's true that her POV doesn't provide much perspective on the "high lords play[ing] their game of thrones." But I think it's the beauty of GRRM's writing and attention to detail that he doesn't forget about the "innocents" or "smallfolk." What Brienne's chapters do is emphasize the human cost of war - it shows readers the less "glamorous" and certainly less "entertaining" side of the game - it lets us meet and hear and observe the pawns of the game, those whose homes have been destroyed and whose lives have been turned upside down, without their ever understanding the why and wherefore. In a sense, Brienne's POVs are helping keep the story grounded and readers reminded that war isn't ever truly a game.

Arya is in training.. it would be nonsense if she suddenly go across the sea and back to Westeros as a skilled magic assassin.

Oh boy...

there are quite some, but above all, BRAN and GREYJOYS (be that Theon, Asha, Victarion, Aeron, hated all)

Catelyn was quite boring as well, though important plot-wise... Daenerys in ADWD... that was quite a challenge, even being a Targaryen and Daenerys supporter. Tyrion in ADWD - well, that was a bloody disaster. Brienne... oh no... I can't stand the Brienne chapters...

The rest were fine, though I could totally do without Aerys Oakheart or Jon Connington or Melisandre to be entirely honest...

Archived