That POV character you could care less about

jeffklm

To me it's Quentyn. He's a shallow stupid man and his death deserves a Darwin award. Also Damphair. I wouldn't mind not rewarding their thoughts and having them as secondary characters.

I disagree with most of you about Dany chapters from ADWD though. I don't care where she is - I'm not Joer Monmort. Outwardly a little might happen bit her chapters are incredibly rich psychologically speaking. She shows that she is human, struggle with the trappins of power. She is a teenage girl facing a problem bigger than what she imagined. To me, this is what distinguishes ASOIAF from other novels and makes it unique.

To me it's Quentyn. He's a shallow stupid man and his death deserves a Darwin award. Also Damphair. I wouldn't mind not rewarding their thoughts and having them as secondary characters.

Not a Quenting fan myself. Why do you say shallow? That's the first time I hear him described that way.

Not a Quenting fan myself. Why do you say shallow? That's the first time I hear him described that way.

Maybe my reading was flawed, but I saw no interesting traits in him, no character development, all he was, was simply "my dad is king and I want my draaagons." No redeeming quality or psychological insight. I guess his death will affect the events of later books greatly. But he's merely a plot device and not a character.

That's not bad, I'm not trying to criticize GRRM. In such a vast universe many characters will inevitably be like that, but the OP asked which POV you cared less for and this was my answer.

Lot's of readers don't like the Dany chapter's in aDwD, and I can understand why, but I would say this:

Stay tuned.

a. Daeny is now with her biggest, meanest dragon and dragons are drawn to battle. (if you recall, two of the leaked chapters from WoW deal with battle between the Yunks and the Meereeneesh at the gates of Meereeen - then Victarion shows up...

b. At the very end of aDwD, the Khaleesi and her dragon are enjoying a hot meal of horse flesh when Khal Jhaqo and 100 riders show up. Way back in aGoT when Khal Drogo was dieing and his khalasar broke up, Dany vowed she show Jhaqo the mercy he showed Eroeh of the sheep people (whom they raped and slit the throat of). I do not think she will slit Jhaqo's throat. She will say, I promise not to have my dragon fry you if you promise to ride to Meereen with me.

What Grrm has shown us of the battle of Meereen is probably a distraction from the real thunder: Dany & her dragon plus a khalassar.

Lot's of readers don't like the Dany chapter's in aDwD, and I can understand why, but I would say this:

Stay tuned.

a) Daeny is now with her biggest, meanest dragon and dragons are drawn to battle. (if you recall, two of the leaked chapters from WoW deal with battle between the Yunks and the Meereeneesh at the gates of Meereeen - then Victarion shows up...

B) At the very end of aDwD, the Khaleesi and her dragon are enjoying a hot meal of horse flesh when Khal Jhaqo and 100 riders show up. Way back in aGoT when Khal Drogo was dieing and his khalasar broke up, Dany vowed she show Jhaqo the mercy he showed Eroeh of the sheep people (whom they raped and slit the throat of). I do not think she will slit Jhaqo's thropat. She will say, I promise not to have my dragon fry you if you promise to ride to Meereen with me.

What Grrm has shown us of the battle of Meereen is probably a distraction from the real thunder: Dany & her dragon plus a khalassar.

All good and true and I have nothing to say to contrary...but all of Dany's story to me feels like it's from some other book. She's so far from the game,from Westeros,from what I consider main thing that I just can't get invested in her story. Essos chapters are like reading star wars chapters in the middle of star trek book. Like yeah it has it's moments but I don't care. I'm tired of waiting for all she does and thinks to connect to main story.I just want her to cross that see. I wouldn't even care if she just left for Westeros and all Mereen and Essos stuff remains unfinished and unexplained...I would even consider it improvement...that is how little I care about what happens on that continent.

She's so far from the game,from Westeros,

And if she does get back...then what?

She'll be a bit of an odd duck there - but perhaps an odd duck with dragons - which would make her an odd duck to pay attention to.

- Damphair and Victarion because I couldn't care less about most of the Iron Islands plot (though I found it more compelling on my second read)

- Brienne was frustrating because I knew that her whole search was pointless and while I love strong female characters, I found her pretty flat and one-dimensional most of the time. But it was worth it for Septon Meribald.

- Areo Hotah...yawn

- Tyrion, particularly in aDwD, but also in general because I don't find him nearly as clever or amusing as he finds himself

Sansa and Dany's chapters are actually some of my favorites, mostly because I can identify with them above any of the other characters

Maybe my reading was flawed, but I saw no interesting traits in him, no character development, all he was, was simply "my dad is king and I want my draaagons." No redeeming quality or psychological insight. I guess his death will affect the events of later books greatly. But he's merely a plot device and not a character.

That's not bad, I'm not trying to criticize GRRM. In such a vast universe many characters will inevitably be like that, but the OP asked which POV you cared less for and this was my answer.

I think you're right. He's fleshed out as a character just enough to serve his purpose in the plot but that's about it. No development within him at all.

I guess an argument could be made that he was brave at the end, facing two dragons and attempting to tame/steal one. But, I'll just say he was an idiot. Going in to a dragon pit with two untrained dragons and almost no knowledge yourself? What in the hell do you think would happen?

Well if we loose :

Areo

Damphair

Vic

Mel

Theon

Jon Con

Arianne

Selmy

Brienne

it's 9 and there are a lot of people to tell the story if they don't...they don't even have to die just loose POV status.

It would be helpful.

Mel had one chapter... it wasn't the endless Brienne, Cersei or Jon...

And if she does get back...then what?

She'll be a bit of an odd duck there - but perhaps an odd duck with dragons - which would make her an odd duck to pay attention to.

I would even prefer that to alternative-one more book of Mereen's politics.She would at least be odd duck in the book I'm reading not chapters of something unrelated...

Mel had one chapter... it wasn't the endless Brienne, Cersei or Jon...

So if we don't see her again as POV we wont miss her much.

All good and true and I have nothing to say to contrary...but all of Dany's story to me feels like it's from some other book. She's so far from the game,from Westeros,from what I consider main thing that I just can't get invested in her story. Essos chapters are like reading star wars chapters in the middle of star trek book. Like yeah it has it's moments but I don't care. I'm tired of waiting for all she does and thinks to connect to main story.I just want her to cross that see. I wouldn't even care if she just left for Westeros and all Mereen and Essos stuff remains unfinished and unexplained...I would even consider it improvement...that is how little I care about what happens on that continent.

This is dead on. Even the show suffers from this effect. I became a fan of the show this year - and of course I have now recently finished the books - but It took me a long time to finally tune in because of the Daenerys storyline.

Let me explain... In the years previous to this, everytime I flipped by GOT on HBO, it would be a Daenerys scene on screen. I would then change the channel and chuckle to myself, wondering why my friends had become such devoted fans of a show that appeared to be some corny Spartacus/True Blood mash up, sprinkled with a bunch of unrealistically jacked naked dudes and cg dragons. Anyhow... it was only until far later I watched an entire episode and realised what a tremendous story ASOIAF was after seeing Westeros and meeting the other characters. Only when I realised the Daenerys story is just a piece of every episode - and book - I felt it was ok to become a follower of this great story.

I find it amazing that there isn't even one point of view that somebody doesn't hate (though I didn't see Melissandre's name mentioned, but she only had one chapter IIRC, and I haven't read all 23 pages of comments.)

Conclusion: these books must suck. (/snark)

I would even prefer that to alternative-one more book of Mereen's politics.She would at least be odd duck in the book I'm reading not chapters of something unrelated...

I'm with you. Bring in the dragons. Toast EVERYBODY. Get out of Meereen. Go west young Dany, go west!

Archived