How do you see (picture) The Others?

King of Winters

Interesting.

It's almost like a compromise between the show & the books.

They look like something that's comes from the sea to me. But it looks good.

i like this idea too but what transformed them in the first place ?

I think it was probably them using Ice magic in the Lands of Always Winter, or further north at their time, and it slowly turned them into The Others so they could adapt to their cold environment.

i don't see them like some ice monsters like the show presented them (i really didn't like that)

i see them as more of a mystique race, a fascinating enigma , a beautiful danger that could draw you in and then destroy your soul

something like this

http://www.gameofthr...hite-walker.jpg

http://fc04.devianta...ckz-d5a7c2x.jpg

http://data.whicdn.c...owres_large.jpg

The third, by far the scariest. :thumbsup:

But I think there's another aspect to them that makes the even scarier: their stealth. I imagine them as the things that you see in the corner of your eye, until they are on you. An ice blue aspect just outside your range of vision until they want to make themselves noticed. Like a rippling of frostbite that becomes solid without intermediate. As clear as that thin sheet of glass on the surface of the water. Casting no shadow and transparent but for the distortion of the light that falls through them. Invisible in the dark but for the glow of their eyes, which is stronger as winter comes more powerful.

I don't like the Others portrayed in the tv show coz they look like dead, awful-looking, ice zombies. How could the Night's King fall in love or make love to such creature? GRRM said they are strange, beautiful, inhuman, elegant... not like this.

I could fall in love with a women like that. Just throw on some lipstick and good to go.

I visualize the Others as a tall and beautiful humanoid species that happens to live in a cold climate! The Night's King was certainly enchanted enough. I wouldn't object to... ah, cultural exchange, myself. Game of Thrones got their appearance all wrong, I think. I don't think they're necessarily offensively hostile, either. I think they're just defending their territory (north of the Wall) from unwelcome human incursions. As a collective, our species tends to ruin everything we touch.

Interesting.

It's almost like a compromise between the show & the books.

I was about to say that I actually am a cautious fan of the shows interpretation. But the above artwork goes in a completely third direction, and after some thought, it has changed my own conception of them - I hope the show moves the next depictions in this direction, that is beautiful and interesting.

We've only seen one Other at a time so far. They're beautiful in their own strange way, but they do not have anything I would describe as elegance. The above does.

I also think the Others can also be thought of as a force of nature, as someone said.

But it doesn't mean they cannot be reasoned with.

I liken it to the sea. The sea is an awesome force of nature. The sea also does not reason, does not have empathy, does not obey to the laws of mankind. You can't reason with the sea, you can't defy it, and yet you can come to some sort of arrangement. Think of the Dutch with their dykes and reclaimed land; think of the Pacific islander early navigators. They didn't tame the sea as such, but worked around it. Didn't get afraid to challenge the status quo and have a go, whilst maintained a healthy respect for what it is.

Maybe humankind can also work out some sort of arrangement with the Others. No idea what form it would take, though.

And WIAI, I also like this image http://data.whicdn.c...owres_large.jpg. I think many other images make them look taller than they are. I don't think they are a lot taller than Westeros humans, maybe taller than the average, 6' 3'' to 6' 5'', but not much more. Smaller than the Mountain - but much more beautiful, ephemeral, mysterious, otherworldly.. like GRRM said, sithe. I want to imagine them as a silent, glacial and menacing beauty, accompanied by some strange alien-sounding trance music: as you face them, you are transported to another world. Yes, I often dream that I am Ser Waymar Royce on his last ranging mission.

I visualize the Others as a tall and beautiful humanoid species that happens to live in a cold climate! The Night's King was certainly enchanted enough. I wouldn't object to... ah, cultural exchange, myself. Game of Thrones got their appearance all wrong, I think. I don't think they're necessarily offensively hostile, either. I think they're just defending their territory (north of the Wall) from unwelcome human incursions. As a collective, our species tends to ruin everything we touch.

read the books, you're like my avatar.

The great other is the opposing god of R'heallor, and I think the others are his creation, see it as a battle between god and satan.

You said the others should be humanoid, but they weren't, they were being described as beautifell creatures, but nothing human among them. That's where te show fails, but hey, it is not a important detail.

Archived