What's wrong with Sandor Clegane?

Xaynor

Why does Arya despise him and why is Sansa afraid of him? From what I've seen he doesn't pose a single threat to them at all and has treated them well, he helps Arya and keeps her safe especially at the Red Wedding, he even offered Sansa a trip back HOME. I just don't understand why Arya doesn't like him, have I missed something? He seems like a good guy to me...somewhat.

Also, could someone please tell me when I should tag in "Spoilers"? I'm not sure if I'm spoiling something right now and I want to know for later haha.

He killed Mycah.

Sandor is also a scary looking guy who freely admits he loves to kill people, so yeah, no wonder he scares kids and most adults too.

No need to use spoiler tags for anything except the Winds of Winter stuff (if you are not discussing it in the Winds of Winter board, which the mods prefer).

I would most certainly be, if he was my friend, and killed for a "crime" he didn't commit.

Funnily enough, Arya never referred to him as her friend. Just the "Butcher's boy."

Better yet in AFFC/ADWD she even states she doesn't even know/forgot why she's sad the Mycah died. It's because she has grown up.

Funnily enough, Arya never referred to him as her friend. Just the "Butcher's boy."

Nonsense.

They'd let the queen kill Lady, that was horrible enough, but then the Hound found Mycah. Jeyne Poole had told Arya that he'd cut him up in so many pieces that they'd given him back to the butcher in a bag, and at first the poor man had thought it was a pig they'd slaughtered. And no one had raised a voice or drawn a blade or anything , not Harwin who always talked so bold, or Alyn who was going to be a knight, or Jory who was captain of the guard. Not even her father.

"He was my friend," Arya whispered into her plate, so low that no one could hear.

Better yet in AFFC/ADWD she even states she doesn't even know/forgot why she's sad the Mycah died. It's because she has grown up.

Lame trolling attempt. 1/10.

"“Mycah,” the boy muttered. He recognized the prince and averted his eyes. “M’lord.”

“He’s the butcher’s boy,” Sansa said.

He’s my friend,” Arya said sharply. “You leave him alone.”

"She thought of Mycah, the butcher’s boy who had been her friend so briefly."

I generally don't like people that say things like "I should've fucked her bloody," especially when talking to "her" little sister.

He's an all-around despicable person, his one redeeming quality being almost-sorta-but-hardly nice to Sansa, saving her, but even that's ruined when he threatens to kill her and rape her.

Lame trolling attempt. 1/10.

"“Mycah,” the boy muttered. He recognized the prince and averted his eyes. “M’lord.”

“He’s the butcher’s boy,” Sansa said.

He’s my friend,” Arya said sharply. “You leave him alone.”

"She thought of Mycah, the butcher’s boy who had been her friend so briefly."

Geez sorry I don't remember some minute details from a book that was written in the 90s.

Point being, from her POV at the time she was just a kid and in recent books she has made it clear she thinks nothing of the "Butchers boy".

Geez sorry I don't remember some minute details from a book that was written in the 90s.

Point being, from her POV at the time she was just a kid and in recent books she has made it clear she thinks nothing of the "Butchers boy".

After witnessing so many other deaths and the aftermath of the RW, I'd say its understanable that she thought about Mycah less. Its called coping and there was plenty of time afterwards for her to move on. But as the encounter with Sandor shows, she clearly wasn't over his death quite yet.

I'm sure you'll pardon us if we don't take your word for that.

Hee, that was embarassing, wasn't it?

There are plenty of reasons for Arya and Sansa to dislike Sandor Clegane at first. He is not a pleasant person to deal with and is filled with hate and spite -- nobody really liked him in the early half of the story. Apart from the cruelties mentioned above, it's important to remember that Sandor was Joffrey's dog, carrying out his every whim. While we as readers are able to tally up Sandor's "good deeds and bad deeds" over the course of the story and say, "Aha, Sandor is closer to good than evil,", the characters in the story obviously can't do this; they have to react to him based on how he treats them at the time and in the past, not on character development that (from the perspective of the characters in the story) takes place in the future.

Archived