What's wrong with Sandor Clegane?

Xaynor

I thought that was because she figured he'd died.

Definitely. In AFFC, there is a passage where she reflects on how the list is down to six to go: Joff died unrelatedly, she offed the Tickler herself, and she left the Hound to die.

Arya leaves Sandor out of her death prayer while he's in a feverish sleep after the fight at the Crossroads inn and then questions herself.

Well Sansa is afraid of him because of his looks, reputation & because of the type of person SHE is.

I disagree. Sansa tried to be kind to him and he was deliberately hateful towards her. Yes, he rescued her and all that later on, but he was always unnecessarily mean in the way he spoke to her.

Oh true! I completely forgot about the butchers boy, that was a little over the line but come on...he was probably ordered to do it by Joffrey that little runt.

A little over the line....that's what I'm going to say if I ever kill a child in cold blood: Ok, so maybe it was a little over the line.. :bang:

"I should've fucked her bloody."

Cares so much that he said this to her sister?

Granted, he didn't actually do that, but no one should be praised for not raping someone.

I think his confession was more like "Look I was kind to her, saved her life and helped her sister and now I'm dying under the tree. If I were Gregor and raped Sansa I would surely be safe & sound now. There is no justice in the world". I think he also was afraid Sansa would end up like Tysha - raped by Tyrion and send away wherever the whores go. He thought raping her and klling her by himself would be more merciful than that.

Personally I don't think he would ever harm Sansa.

He thought raping her and klling her by himself would be more merciful than that.

So many things wrong with this statement. "Better I rape her than someone else..."

Yeah, like Tommen above said, Sandor was never a good person to Sansa even when she tried to reach out to him. Saving her the once doesn't count for much when all he ever did was frighten her and make her sing with a knife at her throat. Of all the characters on the show that they're "white-washing" I hate that they're making the Hound seem like a good person when in the books he is not.

"I should've fucked her bloody."

Cares so much that he said this to her sister?

Granted, he didn't actually do that, but no one should be praised for not raping someone.

By now you should know that taking things in the books too literally is a mistake. There's a lot of subterfuge, misdirection, and outright lying; you need to verify almost everything. Do you believe that Ned was in fact Jon's father? It's what Ned says, and he's too honorable to lie. (Irony) Tyrion "admits" to Jaime that he killed Joffrey.

It's pretty obvious that Sandor was trying to goad Arya into giving him misericordia, an end to his suffering.

I disagree. Sansa tried to be kind to him and he was deliberately hateful towards her. Yes, he rescued her and all that later on, but he was always unnecessarily mean in the way he spoke to her.

He's got this "reputation" that he has to uphold, how are people supposed to fear him if he goes around picking daisies for little maidens. :)

LordStoneheart

"I should've fucked her bloody"

I don't think he meant what he said to Arya, he was just trying to scare her, make her think that he's completely ruthless and thus make sure that she doesn't do anything stupid.

Like one topic said yesterday, this guy is the character that overcompensates the most.

So many things wrong with this statement. "Better I rape her than someone else..."

Yeah, like Tommen above said, Sandor was never a good person to Sansa even when she tried to reach out to him. Saving her the once doesn't count for much when all he ever did was frighten her and make her sing with a knife at her throat. Of all the characters on the show that they're "white-washing" I hate that they're making the Hound seem like a good person when in the books he is not.

It doesn't mean he would actually rape her.

In my opinion Sandor was a good person who did bad things because the life forced him. And the show even cut the book scenes that prove his "good side" like saying "enough" when Knights were beating Sansa. Or when Sandor cried after the duel with Beric. Sandor actually never raped. I think he despised rapists. His brother was the one of them.

Which is how he treats EVERYONE and is his reputation. He didn't single her out except when he saved her and when he offered her a way out of KL. He's a bad man who does bad things and everyone knows it... that's his persona. It's the breaking of this persona that gives him greyness and makes his character more interesting. He's BORING in AGoT.

Sandor was an abused child who grew up to be a tortured human being filled with contempt and hatred for just about everyone and everything, with himself being 2nd on the list only to his sweet brother. Sandor wasn't strictly mean to Sansa, he was cruel and harsh to everyone he talks to. The books introduce Sandor by having him embarrass Robb, then brag how he killed his first man at 13. He's not supposed to be a likable guy.

That being said, Sandor's more tender, sincere, and redeeming moments are all with either Sansa or Arya. He commanded Joffrey to stop beating Sansa, he saved her during the riots, he gave her good advice on dealing with Joffrey, he sided with her about the whole reap what you sow on your name day thing. Considering what the Hound is, Sandor seemed to go out of his way to be a good person to Sansa.

Actually Sandor is gentle to Sansa. He never beats her like the other Kingsguard Knights and he saves her life during the uprising in Kings Landing. I think he saw Sansa as someone innocent, unspoilt by the world yet.

I am pretty sure he likes her. Yes he threatens to kill her when he tells here the Gregor-Toy Knight story, but if he didn't like her, why would he have told her in the first place?

Actually Sandor is gentle to Sansa. He never beats her like the other Kingsguard Knights and he saves her life during the uprising in Kings Landing. I think he saw Sansa as someone innocent, unspoilt by the world yet.

I am pretty sure he likes her. Yes he threatens to kill her when he tells here the Gregor-Toy Knight story, but if he didn't like her, why would he have told her in the first place?

Yeah, he digs her. :wub:

He was helping Arya for financial reasons, but the point where he goes beyond that is when they are in the village where Sandor helps them build a fence. He suggests to Arya that they remain there for the winter.

That's a good point, but to add to that, I think it was about more than money from the start. When he met up with Arya he said "the little sister", that frames it that he saw Arya in terms of Sansa, and he brings up "the little bird, your pretty sister" or some variation of that a dozen times to underscore that. He wanted to align himself with the Starks, and after Robb was dead, the dream was, too, but he still rode into a massacre to save Arya's life, and he had done something similar when he walked into a 30 to 1 mob to save Sansa 's life.

So all of this along with Bran's dream and the crow on the Trident that Arya noticed when Sandor was injured, seems like there's more to come as far as his involvement with the Starks in the greater story, and it was no accident the Elder Brother came upon him when he did. Just a thought...

Also about the fear thing someone mentioned, Arya came to realize he wasn't going to hurt her, and Sansa, too. That was what the taking the rock from her "as if she were a baby" thing was about and also Sansa saying "I wish the Hound were here" and hearing his voice thinking it was him protecting her from Marillion, etc.

I think he starts thinking of Arya as more than just a financial transaction while she's sitting there chewing on some salted beef or whatever and just staring him down. She's also taking care of the horses and helping cook and shit, he really sees that she's not all caught up in being a Lady, no empty pride in Arya at all, she also doesn't have any delusions about knights, princes and people in general. She's the Hound basically but just less overtly angry.

He's not a pedo, but if Arya was 6 or 7 years older, it may have been her he took a fancy to.

He scares Sansa because he's a deformed killer who's roaring drunk half the time, and who has a habit of threatening her. She still likes him though, and he's obviously one of the kindest people she knew in King's Landing.

Arya hates him because he killed Mycah, a butcher's boy who was her friend while the Stark's were travelling to Winterfell with Robert Baratheon and the royal household.

Archived