Stark Comeback - Longsword Ice

SkaggCannibal

I'm curious to what will happen to the Stark Valyrian longsword Ice, or better, it's separate parts Widow's Wail (Tommen) and Oathkeeper (Brienne). First of, I want to emphasize how shocked I was when I read that Ice did no longer exist, that it was reforged and separated and now had new owners and functions. This is because of all the things the Starks have been through, this is the one thing I don't see can be restored. Winterfell can be rebuild, Starks can regain power and their position as Wardens of the North, Rickon can make new Stark kids and pass on the name, but Ice? Can that sword ever be reforged? I don't think it is possible, I think if the two swords are reforged to one, it will be another sword and it will need another name.

Maybe it's just me and I can't deal with this small Stark loss, but Sansa was also very worried about the sword (and she wasn't very interested in swords before) so I think it's a very big deal in Westeros too. The Lannisters stole the Stark Valyrian sword, pretended it was theirs and destroyed it. To me it seems like to loss of Ice is a real defeat for the Starks, one they can't get back on. It felt like a rape of age-old Stark legacy.

So, what are other people's opinions? What will happen to Widow's Wail and Oathkeeper? Will the Stark regain something similar like Ice? Was it a succesfull Lannister slight to House Stark? And will they ever get back at it (revenge)?

I think you can say good bye to Ice. At this point it would make no sense for a Stark getting the two swords and having them re-forged. Jon Snow has the valaryian steel sword, Longclaw which had been in the Mormont family for generations so that might end up being the Stark sword. I would guess Oathkeeper might end up in the hands of Arya or Sansa somehow, but Widows Wail has no chance of making its way north.

Yeah I don't think anyone could possibly reforge Ice, I too was appaled by the desecration. But I don't see why the Starks would really want the swords back. Oathkeeper will probably stay with House Tarth, or Brienne will return it to Jamie, and Widows Wail will probably be kept in some room in the Red Keep.

The Starks can always get another Ice. In westerosi terms, they didn't really have that version of the sword for very long.

Maybe when Jon comes back from the dead, he can re-name Longclaw.

But it just occurred to me that the widow of widows wail is Cersei mourning the loss of her kids who hold the sword. I guess that will be considered a cursed sword. Maybe if the two halves of Ice bring enough 'bad luck' they will be returned to the Starks.

It seems to me modern Ice war more an item of prestige then any heirloom of the house as the original Ice was probably better revered and wasn't Valyrian Steel, with the Starks in their current predicament it makes sense that Ice's loss is a symbol of their loss of prestige and standing as people think they're mostly extinct anyway. If the GNC turns out to be true then the North gets a Stark king and they get a Valyrian Steel sword and both their position, prestige and power are restored in one fell swoop then Ice becomes irrelevant. I'd like to think with the coming of the long knight the original Ice is found and if it is a sword of the others then it could be an extremely effective weapon in the coming war.

I think you can say good bye to Ice. At this point it would make no sense for a Stark getting the two swords and having them re-forged. Jon Snow has the valaryian steel sword, Longclaw which had been in the Mormont family for generations so that might end up being the Stark sword. I would guess Oathkeeper might end up in the hands of Arya or Sansa somehow, but Widows Wail has no chance of making its way north.

I think Arya will end up with Dark Sister.

1. She worshipped Visenya who is the first known user of DS.

2. DS Has a smaller handle to allow women to wield it.

3. She is Jon Snows Dark Sister.

4. It would be nice for Bran, Arya and Jon to catch up and reminisce.

5. Who better to have it?

Ice is gone. New old ice should be found.

If Ice is "meant to be" whole, it will happen. Oathkeeper i believe is in Lady Stoneheart's possession along with Robb's crown. If Sansa ends up marrying Ageon, she may ask for her father's other half to his sword. No doubt she would get it.

This!

I think the original Ice was a sword made of ice, like those of the White walkers, a sword made of the same magic that made the Wall...

Much better than any valyrian steel.

Made of the cold breath of an ice dragon as opposed to made by the fire breath of a fire dragon?

If it wasn't made of ice, why would they name it Ice after all?

;P

• 2 months later...

One of George Martin's themes throughout the series is "no take backsies!," to paraphrase. Even if they tried using the metal from the two new swords, it would still have the crimson dye. However, there are other ways for "Ice" to be restored.

1. The original Ice is found. The Valyrian steel Greatsword was actually just a copy of a much older blade, lost, which was suppose to be made out of pure Ice. What happened to it? I don't know, but I guess the Children of the Forest might know.
  2. Brightroar, or a sword for a sword. Should Tyrion manage to find his family's legendary lost sword Brightroar, he might feel obligated to offer it to the Starks as compensation for taking and destroying their family sword.
  3. Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail. Catelyn has one. Could both end up in Stark hands? Get rid of those gaudy hilts and you have two pretty beautiful swords. As an interesting aside, they are now described as "crimson and black," which are the colors of House Targaryen. Does this have some greater meaning? Not a clue.

• 3 months later...

I think Arya will end up with Dark Sister.

1. She worshipped Visenya who is the first known user of DS.

2. DS Has a smaller handle to allow women to wield it.

3. She is Jon Snows Dark Sister.

4. It would be nice for Bran, Arya and Jon to catch up and reminisce.

5. Who better to have it?

I like this idea of Arya getting dark sister although what will happen to her precious needle?. Blood raven was the last known wielder and if he took it north with him maybe bran can see it delivered to his dark sister.

Archived