A Song of Meat and Sausage

tormund's beard

replace peach cobbler with lemon cakes and it sounds perfect

I was thinking of editing the post to peach cobbler and a scoop of lemon sherbet. Maybe garnished with a couple of fresh mint leaves.

All of this stuff is pretty light on the pallet and it's good to finish with something crisp.

it's not that, i eat what i kill too but i'm a muslim and we don't eat boar or animals with fangs (animals that eat other animals basically) i hunt for recreational reasons as well, mostly wolfs when they over breed and start getting too close

and how the hell did you drag a bear ? that thing must've weighed at least 800 k\g

In the eastern US they have black bears, which are usually not really big. The record for a male is 409 kg. Brown bears, which you have in Russia are bigger. Alaskan brown bears and Kodiak bears are basically the same thing.

it's not that, i eat what i kill too but i'm a muslim and we don't eat boar or animals with fangs (animals that eat other animals basically) i hunt for recreational reasons as well, mostly wolfs when they over breed and start getting too close

With the wolf comment I must dislike you. As for the thread the mashed turnips can't be too far off from potatoes, with enough butter or pepper you could make it edible. The beets....I love some pickled beets.

We had a couple choices in that situation.

1) Leave the bear, which we almost did

2) Cut off the best section, couldnt do that because we didnt know anything about bear meat and we didnt have enough room in our coolers because of the boar we got earlier. Yea forgot we had to drag cut up boar meat as well, technically we sent him ahead to store that but whatever.

3) Best option drag the boar to the truck but oh my god did that take a long time, especially before we made the sled, made of 2 strong sticks a couple jackets stretched over it to hold up the bear. Pulled this cord like lining out of my coat to use as rope.

Damn i really feel like a redneck now, ehh whatever been years since ive been back to the South.

last time i went hunting was last winter (it wasn't that bad,high snows but not much wind) but our method with wolves is different we don't seek them out

we set up bloody rabbits in a zone and pick spots to shoot from mostly from hills and wait till the wolves are out and smell the rabbits and when they come we just take them out

With the wolf comment I must dislike you. As for the thread the mashed turnips can't be too far off from potatoes, with enough butter or pepper you could make it edible. The beets....I love some pickled beets.

well, it's not like i just pick up my rifle and say "i'm bored time to go kill a wolf" i only do it once a year after they've already produced the next generation

plus i have a wolf for a pet, i raised him since he was a pup

I would try aurochs but they're extinct. I love spicy food so the Dornish menu sounds good. No pigeon or lamprey for me please.

I know the camel discussion was a while go, but I don't think it's too hard to get. They sure aren't indigenous to Minneapolis but we have big Somali and Ethiopian communities here. There are markets where you can buy camel. I haven't tried it yet but I'll try almost anything once.

yumm bread!

I've actually seen people eat the fermented eggs with baby ducks or chickens inside... I couldn't eat for 3 days. It was disgusting to me.

We used to have chickens and one time I cracked an egg and there was a half formed chick inside... I couldn't eat the eggs from our chickens for weeks!

I know it's a delicacy some places, but so are monkey brains, and I'm not eating those either!

I'm totally with you. I have extended family whose culture eats those eggs. Normal to them, repulsive to me. :ack: .

In the eastern US they have black bears, which are usually not really big. The record for a male is 409 kg. Brown bears, which you have in Russia are bigger. Alaskan brown bears and Kodiak bears are basically the same thing.

thanks for the info,i don't know much about wildlife in the states,just some basics

it's mostly brown bears here like you said, i really want to hunt a grizzly bear in the future,but my visits to the states are usually to Philadelphia,no grizzlies there

well, it's not like i just pick up my rifle and say "i'm bored time to go kill a wolf" i only do it once a year after they've already produced the next generation

plus i have a wolf for a pet, i raised him since he was a pup

Agreed obviously he didnt reaf your full post, you stated that you dont kill wolves for entertainment but for neccesity. Thin out the population or have wolf attacks? Which do you prefer?

I would try aurochs but they're extinct. I love spicy food so the Dornish menu sounds good. No pigeon or lamprey for me please.

I know the camel discussion was a while go, but I don't think it's too hard to get. They sure aren't indigenous to Minneapolis but we have big Somali and Ethiopian communities here. There are markets where you can buy camel. I haven't tried it yet but I'll try almost anything once.

it's really good you should try it if you can, i was lucky enough to try it the old fashion way, the bedouin way when i went to saudi arabia and once again in Jordan

thanks for the info,i don't know much about wildlife in the states,just some basics

it's mostly brown bears here like you said, i really want to hunt a grizzly bear in the future,but my visits to the states are usually to Philadelphia,no grizzlies there

Yea that makes sense, the bear i shot was heavy as hell but i was thinking it wasnt 1400-1500 lbs when i did the conversion.

I eat meat but don't cook it so it would it need to be a restaurant or something

that's gonna be hard, it's not exactly common in Europe or the states (i assume you're from one of them)

must have been a black bear or something

It was an American Black Bear. Still heavy as all hell though. Funny thing it was an accident, never meant to kill a bear that day but we got really unlucky and lucky at the same time, ran into it on a boar trail when we were downwind, heard something coming down the hill further up the trail and comes out of a bramble to see what it was smelling i guess.

Gotta say i never want to meet eye to eye with a bear again after, looking into those eyes is scary.

It charged as we knew it would, pulled out my .44 because my winchester was on my back, got 3 rounds off all center mass.

Archived