How will Jon Snow learn about his lineage

Thormund Stark

Another wide belief (that I share) is that Jon (or someone else) will find a telling clue in Lyanna's tomb: a crown, a Targaryen cloak - I personnaly think it could be Rhaegar's Harp.

I had also wondered if there could be some physical evidence to prove Jon's parentage. Rhaegar's harp is an interesting possibility. I had speculated that there could be a signet ring, or maybe even a dragon egg meant for his cradle (as discussed in the Dunk & Egg stories).

Most of us have probably heard the story about GRRM asking D&D who they think Jon Snow's mother was. Supposedly when they told him he smiled.

And one of the added scenes in the first season was the one where Ned and Jon have their farewells on the King's Road before they head off in different directions. Jon asks Ned if his mother knows where he is and where he's going. Ned responds by promising Jon that the next time they see each other, they'll talk about his mother. I know that some people disparage stuff from the show as not counting or whatever, but I think this was added on purpose to convince skeptical readers about R+L=J.

I think that this scene was added with Martin's permission to plant the seed for the reveal later in the television series. It'd be cool if, in the books, after Jon is stabbed, he has some more prophetic dreams. Ned can appear to him in a dream and inform him about his parentage. Jon might not believe him, or think that it was a silly dream and rationalize himself into not believing it.

Only after he learns the same truth from another source, such as a Bran-Bloodraven assisted revelation, some proof found in the crypts at Winterfell, or Howland Reed letting some of the Northerners know so they relay the message to the Wall will Jon put some credence to the idea and realize why Ned had kept the secret so long.

This is all just conjecture and fantasizing on my part though.

I don't think it matters if he is a Targ, Jon snow will always be Ned Starks son.

I agree. I hope he is the son of r+l! but that will only have meaning with his bloodline and the prince that was promised prophecy, dragon riding etc. I do think he will always consider himself Ned's son and a stark.

Taking the Stark Targ (edit: sorry, it rhymed, I suppose) name won't make things easier for him. See reaction of Tycho when Jon joked about a dragon. It might be better if Westeros/IB didn't know, and it just stays in between the greenseers/Jon and maybe Howland and hopefully he didn't tell anyone.

Jon, as much as he wants to deny it (everyone would think he's bad if he was found wanting it), is a Stark, and Rhaegar will never mean what Ned meant to him. He might end up understanding the tragic nature of everything that happened in the past, but that might be where it's going to stay.

Taking the Stark name won't make things easier for him. See reaction of Tycho when Jon joked about a dragon. It might be better if Westeros/IB didn't know, and it just stays in between the greenseers/Jon and maybe Howland and hopefully he didn't tell anyone.

Jon, as much as he wants to deny it (everyone would think he's bad if he was found wanting it), is a Stark, and Rhaegar will never mean what Ned meant to him. He might end up understanding the tragic nature of everything that happened in the past, but that might be where it's going to stay.

well said. Agreed.

Archived