Cersei in AFFC

melanniemunoz

I have never hated a character as much as I hate Cersei in AFFC ever. Her POV's were interesting, but she is so crazy. I hate how she thinks she is so clever, and amazing, and she's not. She's not a lioness, she's a cub. And also, I am the only one who thinks she takes pride in not being a maiden? Cersei says some of the weirdest things yet.

"Nothing had ever felt so good as Joffrey's mouth around her nipple."

What. The. Hell. Also, I have this really stupid theory that she had some sort of sexual attraction to Joffrey that she didn't even realize. Even young cersei is irritable.

"I three and he six and ten? How can that be?" She is so stupid! Jamie says that "Cersei thinks of herself as Tywin with teats" and Cersei who said that Jamie is her other half, thinks that he isn't Jamie anymore because of his hand. She is so superficial, stupid, and gets her own self screwed over, and blames it all on everyone else. And she is supposedly so pretty, and she is described in a less than desirable way during her penance walk. What do you guys think about Cersei? And do you agree with me?

There's nothing wrong with having pride in the fact that she isn't a maiden anymore. I don't think she takes pride in it, but she's aware of the advantages of using sex as a tool.

I think that quote was referring to her sense of fulfillment and joy in being a mother. If there isn't anything besides that that indicates she was sexually attracted to her son, it's easy to write off as your personal irritation surfacing and twisting the character to fit that.

By the time Cersei takes her walk, she's left herself go and become an alcoholic. Once she was beautiful, and in aGoT her beauty was unparalleled. She is quite selfish, as well as shallow and superficial; but I do think that she loved Jaime. Jaime himself no longer thought he was "Jaime" when he lost his hand. It was the only thing that defined him without relying on his daddy's reputation.

She does create situations where she makes enemies and then gives them the power to hurt her. In the Game, she isn't as good as Tyrion or LF or Varys or Olenna, but she's better than most. She was brought up to be.

Her chapters in aFfC actually made me like her more (I really hated her before). Now I even want her to win her trial and destroy the Tyrells. It made me understand the way she thinks, and I don't think she's as stupid as people seem to think. She's just paranoid (and for good reasons). I really felt for her during her walk of shame. Plus her PoV is really entertaining to read .

ETA

IMO it just shows how happy she was to be a mother and how much she loved him. (in a normal way)

I always considered it a tribute to Martin's writing that he could give us a POV of a person and actually manage to alienate us even more from that person. Before AFFC I had a small amount of respect for Cersei, she managed to outmaneuver Ned during GoT, she did everything for her children which is a fairly understandable motivation.

Once you actually get inside her head though, all that changes. I don't think she has had a single decent, kind thought ever. She is a monstrosity of a human being and is almost unbearable to read at times. I doubt if she actually loves any of her remaining children, and, while she has potential to be intelligent, all logic seems to have left her by the time we get to AFFC.

Also, to agree with you, yes, Cersei does seem to have some weird sexual confusion about Joffrey. She also seems to have some weird sexual confusion in general. She also seems to have some weird gender confusion as well.

Her chapters in aFfC actually made me like her more (I really hated her before). Now I even want her to win her trial and destroy the Tyrells. It made me understand the way she thinks, and I don't think she's as stupid as people seem to think. She's just paranoid (and for good reasons). I really felt for her during her walk of shame. Plus her PoV is really entertaining to read .

ETA

\\

IMO it just shows how happy she was to be a mother and how much she loved him. (in a normal way)

She is a vile excuse for a human. Some of the thoughts going through that woman's head were disgusting. That line about ''eating Robert's heirs'' :ack: . I cannot symapthise with her, whatsoever. Even the walk of shame, I never felt sorry for her, she deserves alot worse. Then she hires Qyburn and lets him experiment on people.

I will say this, though. Watching each of her idiotic schemes backfire on her was hilarious, and any good counsel she got, she completely ignored, and thinks everyone is either weak or a coward. Ugh.

I think the thing about Cersei is not just her paranoia, her creulty, her vindictiveness, or her weird sex issues (all of which are definitely things, to be sure). It's her myopia. Even though she thinks very highly of herself (at one point she muses that they will sing of her reign for a thousand years and that Tywin will just be a footnote in her glory) she is obsessively concerned with the near and the narrow and the now and never thinking big, ahead, grand-strategically. Anyone who tells the Iron Bank of Braavos to go pound sand is not really looking at the big picture, or even the medium picture. Not to mention ignoring major developments to the East, trusting the wrong people, blithely dismissing events in the North...she's constantly thinking small and petty.

obviously i doubt anyone "likes" cersei or thinks of her as a good person, but her affc chapters were fascinating and some of my favorite of the entire series...watching her self destruct is a real treat, and her stupid, cruel, narcissistic mind is what is leading to her inevitable downfall, its a nice change of pace to see stupidity, cruely, and insanitylead to a characters inevitable downfall as opposed to trust, love and honor ala stark

shes like the jose mourinho of soccer, a complete narcissistic asshole that creates conflict out of thin air but very very entertaining to cheer against! the game wont be the same without either of them =/

Cercei is awesome. An awful mother, queen, and person, but awesome.

She has fantasies of being a man. She created a demon child. She had a close friend tortured to death with zero remorse.

The world in her head is a simple place, where nothing matters apart from herself and her children, and occasionally other family.

She has been effectively manipulated and predicted. It seems the main thing Littlefinger didn't predict was that Cercei would ruin the realm so quickly. Maybe he didn't realize that the Tyrells, Varys, and Tyrion were also pulling her strings. Her father was probably (or would have been) more disappointed then he let on.

I have never hated a character as much as I hate Cersei in AFFC ever. Her POV's were interesting, but she is so crazy. I hate how she thinks she is so clever, and amazing, and she's not. She's not a lioness, she's a cub. And also, I am the only one who thinks she takes pride in not being a maiden? Cersei says some of the weirdest things yet.

What. The. Hell. Also, I have this really stupid theory that she had some sort of sexual attraction to Joffrey that she didn't even realize. Even young cersei is irritable.

"I three and he six and ten? How can that be?" She is so stupid! Jamie says that "Cersei thinks of herself as Tywin with teats" and Cersei who said that Jamie is her other half, thinks that he isn't Jamie anymore because of his hand. She is so superficial, stupid, and gets her own self screwed over, and blames it all on everyone else. And she is supposedly so pretty, and she is described in a less than desirable way during her penance walk. What do you guys think about Cersei? And do you agree with me?

hate threads aren't allowed. Be careful what you post. If you don't have a point to your criticism your thread will be locked, and you can be banned a la maesterhodor.

that being said, Cersei is a fascinating character, and as someone else mentioned a testament to GRRM as a writer. To be able to get inside the mind of a clearly mentally unstable person and make her believable is genius. She actually alienates the reader even more, which mirrors her twin whom the reader begins to forgive once we enter his mind. You truly get to realize that she is pretty evil. She only cares about herself, and what others can do for her. Her love of her children is in correlation of the power. Joffrey, then Tommen, them Myrcella.

Even the walk of shame, I never felt sorry for her, she deserves alot worse.

She deserves to be punished for her crimes, but the walk of shame was a punishment for sleeping with men outside of marriage. That doesn't seem right to me. And if she is to be punished for her crimes, I definitly hope it won't be in the most mysoginistic and humiliating way possible

She deserves to be punished for her crimes, but the walk of shame was a punishment for sleeping with men outside of marriage. That doesn't seem right to me. And if she is to be punished for her crimes, I definitly hope it won't be in the most mysoginistic and humiliating way possible

^^^Pretty much this.

I absolutely agree! I want her to have her revenge on the High Septon. I never thought that would actually pull for Cersei, but in this particular situation I do. It's a sexually degrading punishment ordered by a sanctimonious religious leader, and there's no excuse for it. I think that Cersei does truly love Tommen, even though she is an awful mother, because she accepts this humiliating punishment just so that she can see him again.

Cersei is a terrible mother, but I don't think that her feelings for Joffery were inappropriate. As a mom who's breast fed two babies, I can attest that it's normal to enjoy breastfeeding. I think that Cersei just loved bonding with Joffery as she nursed him - it was probably the first time that she felt unselfish love.

Her idea of pounding her son (for the unforgivable crime of liking the Tyrell's) is to make him beat beat another boy bloody. And we wonder how Joff ended up that way? The breastfeeding comment was about the most normal thing she said.

Archived