Cersei in AFFC

melanniemunoz

"Nothing had ever felt so good as Joffrey's mouth around her nipple."

What. The. Hell. Also, I have this really stupid theory that she had some sort of sexual attraction to Joffrey that she didn't even realize. Even young cersei is irritable.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that you've never breastfeed before. It's a great feeling when your baby latches on for the first time. Plus, the act of nursing causes hormones to be released that can lead a mother to feel very relaxed. Talk to some nursing moms and you'll find many will describe it as a pleasant feeling.

She deserves to be punished for her crimes, but the walk of shame was a punishment for sleeping with men outside of marriage. That doesn't seem right to me. And if she is to be punished for her crimes, I definitly hope it won't be in the most mysoginistic and humiliating way possible

The walk of shame was awful, sexual assault and an attempt to rob a woman of her pride. Even worse, it wasn't just sex outside of marriage, it was sex as a widow. She didn't admit to having sex with anyone other than Robert as she knew it'd be treason and threaten the validity of Tommen's claim. It was for sex while she wasn't even married.

One of the many reasons I thought of it in the first place. Also, has anyone noticed that she shames "whores" or prosititues or girls who lose their maidenhead before marriage, when she did it too? I don't understand that. There is no shame in it, however she thinks so, but she doesn't shame herself... :dunno:

It's hypocritical sure, but it completely makes sense as part of Cersei's character. She happens to be one of the most misogynistic individuals in the entire system while also being almost completely devoid of empathy. Cersei is angry over the roles inflicted upon her but her response is to seek to become the patriarch and thereby reinforce the current system.

It was the reason for the WoS that's the problem. She slept with men, and that's a big no-no in Westeros. The WoS itself was misogynistic.

Cersei wasn't even punished for killing babies or any of the other atrocities she committed.

I agree with you that she hasn't been fully punished yet but at least the Walk Of Shame is a good start. There's no way she'll escape eventual justice for her crimes. Martin even threw in the lame plot device of 'prophecy' to assure us it's coming.

She deserves to be punished for her crimes, but the walk of shame was a punishment for sleeping with men outside of marriage. That doesn't seem right to me. And if she is to be punished for her crimes, I definitly hope it won't be in the most mysoginistic and humiliating way possible

This is pretty much the case. Even though i want her to take out that High Septon, Cersei needs to realize that she made that bed and now she had to lie in it. By that, i mean she rearmed the Faith Militant giving the High Septon a lot of power. This was a colossally dumb move that bit her in the ass really really hard. Cersei did this to "get the sparrows out of her hair" more or less and look what happened. The HS is a misogynistic swine now in charge of trials. Her Walk was about her sleeping with people which is public shaming of the highest order. Her pending trial is about her actual crimes.

I think this was written this way to point out that having the Faith back in power is a really bad thing.

Every other woman in her life is either a whore (Taena, Margaery) or... does she ever interact with any woman that she doesn't deride as a whore, actually? Apart from the septas and people she doesn't think about at all, she's probably the biggest slut-shamer in the books, if only because that's her go-to allegation.

There is also this. Cersei is among the most misogynistic people in the series. She does NOT think of another woman in a manner that isnt shaming them. Ever. She derides Sansa for being too naive, stupid, and her "advice" to Sansa is very sexual charged. Her thoughts on Marg are atrociously misogynistic. She thinks of Taena as a slut. Sends Falyse Stokeworth to her death. And the less said about her thoughts on Lollys, the better. The only woman worth anything in Cersei's eyes is herself. :ack:

Cersei's AFFC chapters are some of my favorite in the entire series. I loved getting to see her inner workings.

YUP The train wreck that is Cersci is impossible to like but so terrifying and brutal it's hard not to look.

I doubt we've seen the last of one of the most despised characters in aSoIaF.

I'm really mad we didn't get a Cersei POV from the beginning. We only got to get in to her mind after major family deaths happened (Joff, Tywin), and that started a mental breakdown.

Now, Cersei's always seemed to have a few screws loose, but I would have liked a glimpse into her head before all the shit hit the fan.

I loved when she thinks she should've been born the man(she thinks this numerous times) because she touched the lion in the cage and Jaime wouldn't. So ridiculous. She is a complete nightmare.

Because she touched the lion in the cage and Jaime wouldn't torment it. "I petted it, he wouldn't pull it's tail and wiskers, he's a coward, I should have had the penis."

That's... I'm sure there's a definition for it. Seems a slick psychological manuever, and entirely disingenuous and self-deceptive.

I always thought that Cersei was one of the most interesting characters in the story. Her chapters in AFFC only add to that. The insight we get into her descend into madness makes her almost a tragic figure.

All the penis envy, the prophecy that haunts her and causes her growing paranoia, how she always wanted to live up to her fathers expectations, how she wants to show that she's the 'Tywin with Teats', but failing, because she's way to crazy to think straight.. then the walk of shame, where she desperatly tries to keep her head high, tries not to fall but then falls in the end..

I enjoyed her chapters most of all.

I always thought that Cersei was one of the most interesting characters in the story. Her chapters in AFFC only add to that. The insight we get into her descend into madness makes her almost a tragic figure.

All the penis envy, the prophecy that haunts her and causes her growing paranoia, how she always wanted to live up to her fathers expectations, how she wants to show that she's the 'Tywin with Teats', but failing, because she's way to crazy to think straight.. then the walk of shame, where she desperatly tries to keep her head high, tries not to fall but then falls in the end..

I enjoyed her chapters most of all.

Yep, she is fascinating. I also agree with Mr. Bell that it would have been great to have her POV before the deaths of Tywin and Joffery.

I have to disagree with anyone who maintains that it doesn't matter if Cersei's punishment is fair or not. Having a woman, any woman, paraded naked through the streets to be derided and degraded is a sexual assault. Yes, Cersei is an evil bitch, but to say that she deserves this humiliation is misogynistic and disturbing. What kind of a message does that send to other women (which I know is the High Septon's point). Because what he did to Cersei is akin to rape, I hope that she takes him down.

I have to disagree with anyone who maintains that it doesn't matter if Cersei's punishment is fair or not. Having a woman, any woman, paraded naked through the streets to be derided and degraded is a sexual assault. Yes, Cersei is an evil bitch, but to say that she deserves this humiliation is misogynistic and disturbing. What kind of a message does that send to other women (which I know is the High Septon's point). Because what he did to Cersei is akin to rape, I hope that she takes him down.

And a sexual assault is worse than a tortuous death? What argument is there that someone who murders children is too good for sexual assault? Why is a humiliating experience too awful for this wretched and vile character?

And a sexual assault is worse than a tortuous death? What argument is there that someone who murders children is too good for sexual assault? Why is a humiliating experience too awful for this wretched and vile character?

Agreed, Cersei's punishment was a comparative slap on the wrist for all the suffering she's caused. Not to mention she wasn't punished for her wrongdoings, but essentially for being a woman.

Two wrongs don't make a right. It's not that she's too good for it, it's that no one is ever deserving of any kind of sexual assault.

I think this is veering into grey and icky territory here guys, let's not get into revenge fantasy. I personally find the Walk of Shame a horrific, misogynistic punishment, designed to specifically degrade women, whether or not you hate Cersei and believe she needs to be punished, this is a disturbing, warped view of punishment, it can also be said the victims of Qyburn undergo twisted and cruel punishments, nonetheless, I believe she should have had a trial and if all else fails, she ends up dead, I don't believe a walk of shame was anything other than demeaning, degrading, it wasn't so much as a justified punishment than a way to demean a woman.

I hope she takes the high septon down, too.

So you're against justice of any kind? "Two wrongs don't make a right"? I guess you'd argue the Tickler didn't deserve to be stabbed to death because 2 wrongs don't make a right, then?

See, what you're doing here is breaking at least 3 or 4 rules of logical debate.

I'd like to redirect the topic of conversation to: Cersei didn't deserve the sexual assault that the High Septon graced upon her.

See, what you're doing here is breaking at least 3 or 4 rules of logical debate.

I'd like to redirect the topic of conversation to: Cersei didn't deserve the sexual assault that the High Septon graced upon her.

Its called strawmanning.

And yes youre right. Despite my own manic cackling during that chapter, when it was made clear WHY she was doing the Walk, i stopped laughing. The point many people seem to miss is that the Walk wasnt a punishment for all the crimes she committed. The Walk happened because, well, the Faith seems to hate women.

Its called strawmanning.

And yes youre right. Despite my own manic cackling during that chapter, when it was made clear WHY she was doing the Walk, i stopped laughing. The point many people seem to miss is that the Walk wasnt a punishment for all the crimes she committed. The Walk happened because, well, the Faith seems to hate women.

Exactly.

It isn't a justified punishment for her crimes, it's a way to demean and to degrade her as a woman, not necessarily as a criminal.

I think this is veering into grey and icky territory here guys, let's not get into revenge fantasy. I personally find the Walk of Shame a horrific, misogynistic punishment, designed to specifically degrade women, whether or not you hate Cersei and believe she needs to be punished, this is a disturbing, warped view of punishment, it can also be said the victims of Qyburn undergo twisted and cruel punishments, nonetheless, I believe she should have had a trial and if all else fails, she ends up dead, I don't believe a walk of shame was anything other than demeaning, degrading, it wasn't so much as a justified punishment than a way to demean a woman.

I hope she takes the high septon down, too.

What does this have to do with revenge fantasy? We're discussing what's specifically included in the text of ASOIAF, surely that sort of talk is not prohibited on a forum created to discuss ASOIAF.

I still don't understand what's wrong with a villainous person being degraded and humiliated. I don't see any protests over any other characters who have suffered similar. Amory Lorch was degraded and humiliated when fed to the bear naked. Tywin Lannister was horribly degraded being shot on the shitter with a whore in his bed. The wineseller who tried to poison Dany died a degrading, miserable death...

Archived