Shattered Sea Trilogy (aka 'So much for Abercrombie's sabbatical')

MisterOJ

What I'm wondering is what language people are supposed to be speaking. That name becoming "Divine" makes a certain kind of sense in English, but that's not the first language for most people living there today.

Also that its "Lanangrod" instead of something related to St. Petersburg. And yeah, its weird that some cities are elf-ruins and others are cities built on top of old cities that have been utterly removed from the Earth. I wonder if we're just supposed to assume that other areas were drowned/nuked harder than the elf-ruins that remain? Like, clearly nobody directly hit Stockholm, because it exists as an elf-ruin while other cities map nicely to modern ones (names included) but aren't ruins.

Thanks for the tip on that river, though.

What I'm wondering is what language people are supposed to be speaking. That name becoming "Divine" makes a certain kind of sense in English, but that's not the first language for most people living there today.

Yeah, it's not clear to me whether the apocalypse was sufficiently far future that a lot of people were speaking English in the region, whether the name passed through some English speakers and the language was subsequently lost but a translation of the name stuck, or something else. Somebody upthread suggested that the "future" could have already been fairly AU before the apocalypse.

One thing I found interesting was that when Skifr casts her "spell", the language sounds so different that it's instantly recognizable as elf language and not one of the many languages Yarvi's speaking all the time.

just seen that the 3rd book is due out this summer. that is giving your fans what they want.

Unless you want a first law book but those folk need some perspective and should try reading other things. It's not much of a stretch to read fantasy by the same author.

That said, I'd love to have some announcement on a First law book being underway before the year's end. Unless Joe can turn out 3 books a year of something else :)

I'm partway through the second book, so I'll reserve most of my thoughts. But I wanted to chime in, I totally see the Cosca comparisons with the merchant/pirate queen, but my first mental image was Isabela from Dragon Age 2. Perhaps if she'd never met Hawke :frown5: .

Wild Geographical Speculation:

I think it's the Daugava (Western Dvina, which could have easily turned into "Divine"). It's a little confusing because the geography is altered enough that it's hard to tell what's going on with the Gulf of Finland and the Gulf of Riga. There used to be a major trade route going across the Baltic, up the Gulf of Finland, through Lake Ladoga, several rivers, and a portage before reaching the Daugava and then up, across another portage, down the Dnieper, and on the Black Sea to Byzantium (presumably the First of Cities).

Looking at the map and assuming Lanagrad comes from Leningrad, it looks like significant chunks of Finland, Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania are under water and the Gulfs of Riga and Finland are much less...gulfy. Since they're definitely hopping onto the river way south of what used to be the Gulf of Finland, I think they may be just getting onto the (quite possibly altered) Daugava directly near a distorted ex- Gulf of Riga.

It might be worth starting a new thread, with a Spoiler heading.

There may be differences in the geography of the Baltic, and surrounding countries, compared to today. Or it may simply be that the maps that are produced in the book are meant to be of worse quality than the ones we use.

Some names seem to be intended to confuse. Roystock sounds like Rostock, but its location seems to be where Riga is located today. Riga seems to have vanished, and to have been replaced by a much more primitive town, on what is now an island. Smoloa sounds like Smolensk, but its location seems to be where Vitebsk is now.

Only just sinking my teeth into book two but I love what Joe's done with Yarl - it works really well. Jury is still out on Thorn and Brand as they feel a little bit like younger versions of the two POVs from "Red country" but that might be down to me only having started the book and having a lazy need for comparisons.

Only just sinking my teeth into book two but I love what Joe's done with Yarl - it works really well. Jury is still out on Thorn and Brand as they feel a little bit like younger versions of the two POVs from "Red country" but that might be down to me only having started the book and having a lazy need for comparisons.

Brand has shades of Temple, kind of, but Thorn is way too insecure to be like Shy.

I agree that Yarvi worked better in this novel. Maybe it was just because we didn't get his POV this time, but I also think he has grown a lot as a person and developed into the much more ruthless individual we see beginning to emerge at the end of HaK

I agree that Yarvi worked better in this novel. Maybe it was just because we didn't get his POV this time, but I also think he has grown a lot as a person and developed into the much more ruthless individual we see beginning to emerge at the end of HaK

His character certainly fits that of someone who lived through the events of his first book. Sort of refreshing as most the time YA adventurers seem totally unaffected by their often traumatic teenage years (Narnia being the classic example). Not that I'm a prolific reader of modern YA so it may have changed a lot. I don't really see it in the various film adaptations anyhow - although I guess most YA adventures stop before they are much older.

Archived