Question about Patchface

Lord Dolorous Edd

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I agree, and I think the general consensus on these boards is that his constant ramblings are prophetic indeed.

I find his story very curious - that he apparently survived the shipwreck which killed Steffon and Cassana Baratheon. I wonder whether he was driven mad by his experience or whether he is the instrument of some God, such as the Drowned God.

I find him a weird but very sinister character indeed. I wouldn't trust him in the slightest and suspect that he might have some malevolent streak, whether he is insane or not. I find the following vision very sinister indeed:

“We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh.”

I could be wrong, but my hunch is that he is prophesising the coming of the Others. But, more than that, is he prophesising that he will have a role in it with the words, "we will lead"?

I'm not sure what all the other ramblings mean as of yet. ASoS Spoiler:

There is one theory that he foretells the Red Wedding:

"Fool’s blood, king’s blood, blood on the maiden’s thigh, but chains for the guests and chains for the bridegroom, aye aye aye".

However, as per other threads I've seen on here, there is speculation that this might actually be referring to a future event. There is a case to be made that the Fool, King and maiden references may be referring to Tyrion, Jon and Dany, but if this is the case, what it might be telling us, who knows.

There are more interesting discussions here: http://asoiaf.wester...ace-prophesies/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Oh, no question; he has a queer sixth sense of sorts, and he is forshadowing comings such as The Others beyond The Wall and the coming of Daenerys and her dragons. It's all so cryptic though it's almost impossible to be sure of anything...

Not to mention the fool creeps me out. :bawl:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When he says "we" will march under the sea and out again... I think there may well be a connection between the Drowned God and the Others, and Patchface's madness is more akin to, or may render him vulnerable to, a form of spiritual/demonic "possession". He may be channelling what is essentially Westeros's version of Cthulhu :-)

• 2 weeks later...

The "I will lead it. We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh" quote is really creepy.

I would interpret the sea as the sea really. He led it, as in he was the first to drown and survive (at least to his knowing). In BW there were armies (they "march") sinking thanks to Tyrion's chain and the wildfire, and, of course, there were survivors, one of which is Ser Davos. However this doesn't explain the seahorses and mermaids except if he meant something really stupid like the battle ships. Would mermaids then be the Lannister heralds? It all fits well seeing as one of his other quotes clearly refers to the wildfire flames at BW.

On the other hand, what most people think isn't a bad option either. But again the seahorses. What do they represent if the whole thing is foreseeing the Others?

• 2 months later...

Archived