Avengers 2: Age of Ultron

AndrewBaelish

Except for the fact that the movies NEVER caused a sales bump in the comics, and that has been known for well over a decade now at least. X-men movies, Spider-Man, Batman, Avengers themselves- nada in comic sales.

I completely agree but I can see how a high up exec may think differently. The argument would be "but this film made a billion so it should work in comics now". Oddly they even had a "A-list" team on the avengers comic that had the exact same team and it still didn't become the best seller. If new readers wanted to try a comic then this would make sense but when they discover there are 6 Avengers titles that are all tied into an event they promptly walk out the store. I don't blame them.The Walking dead on the other hand is just a stand alone comic and that has gone from being a bottom end of the top 100 to a regular top 10 comic since the film came out. The trade collection is healthier still.

If Disney really wanted the comics imprint to do well they'd need to change things dramatically and it could end up being like the glory days but in order to do so they'd probably have to purge the current reading community out in order to bring the wider audience in. Maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing? I guess I could be happy reading entertaining self-contained stories electronically. But it'd piss me off intially,

Further Whedon interviews seem to be distancing the film from the comic. I agree that Whedon had nothing to do with the naming of that film.

If new readers wanted to try a comic then this would make sense but when they discover there are 6 Avengers titles that are all tied into an event they promptly walk out the store.

This is primarily my problem anytime I think about picking up a comic book. I get intrigued, see how complicated it is to get started and then say "To hell with it." I figure if its good enough, it'll have a compilation book of the entire story at some point where I can catch it.

I completely agree but I can see how a high up exec may think differently.

But this idea already has been proven for well over a decade (if not decades, I'm not sure if the Superman and Batman early movies had an impact). There's absolutely no reason to assume this will change.

This is primarily my problem anytime I think about picking up a comic book. I get intrigued, see how complicated it is to get started and then say "To hell with it." I figure if its good enough, it'll have a compilation book of the entire story at some point where I can catch it.

This also explains why The Walking Dead did had a major sales bump, unlike superhero comics: one book to follow only.

But to be fair, most Marvel NOW! books were pretty good jump-on points.

DC on the other hand, not even the writers know what's in continuity or not.

And that's why they don't get new readers regardless of the exposure of the film. Sometimes the sales increase a little but that's mainly by drawing from the exhausting comic readers who dare to penetrate the quagmire that is Marvel/DC publishing.

But this idea already has been proven for well over a decade (if not decades, I'm not sure if the Superman and Batman early movies had an impact). There's absolutely no reason to assume this will change.

But to be fair, most Marvel NOW! books were pretty good jump-on points.

I'm assuming high-ups can be stubborn. What they really need to do is think "why doesn't a billion dollar film generate more comic sales"? and try and fix the issue as it really should boost sales.

MArvel NOW! had great jumping on points but within 6 months a lot of them were dragged into "Age of Ulton" a large crossover series running a few months that was then instantly followed up by the Infinity event which will last until Autumn and involve even more titles. Then there's the Inhumans thing which to be fair they say isn't a multi-issue event but more a branding thing. It scares me off and I'm a hardened comic fan.

Getting back to the films it's what scares me about Marvel's future plans. If they follow comics it will become a case of having to see each film to have a clue what's going on (partially true of Avengers if you hadn't seen Thor). And the solo films will never get a chance to breathe because they will be too tied into the next Avengers epic. Luckily this isn't the case with the films and Marvel seems to be branching into different genres rather than being too similar (unlike X-men now having X-force which unless it's the Milligan reality heroes is not that different from x-men). But they have to be careful.

Alarm bells will ring when they have alternate versions of the film you can watch to boost sales like the awful variant cover practice in comics.

Luckily this isn't the case with the films and Marvel seems to be branching into different genres rather than being too similar (unlike X-men now having X-force which unless it's the Milligan reality heroes is not that different from x-men). But they have to be careful.

I think the thing is for a lot of people these films can't go very wrong. They are basically action blockbusters with some fantasy thrown in.

The big problem I see is getting over technical or detail oriented about where the bad guys come from or what the McGuffin actually is.

Alarm bells will ring when they have alternate versions of the film you can watch to boost sales like the awful variant cover practice in comics.

Haha

The only miss --IMHO-- since Marvel started making their own movies was Iron Man 3... and it was still O.K. ... So in Whedon I trust. ......... Let's just hope that the Disney board of directors and various marketing middle management jizzbags don't make decisions about throwing in an 11 year old a main character again.

I'm very much out of the Marvel loop these days...they let Bendis do a large scale crossover event with Ultron? I need to go Google...

Other than the various aspects of doing a proper Ultron story without having the rich, if sorta convoluted, Ultron/Vision/Wonderman/et.al history, one of the best Ultron stories was back during the Busiek/Perez vol. 3 run, #'s 19-22...just saying. Alwasy thought that was a spectacular Ultron story...

Yeah, Black Nick Fury, afaik, comes from the Marvel Ultimates line, where they specifically modelled him after SLJ because the artists thought he was awesome.

When they started making the movies, they thought let's use the real SLJ, and SLJ said "Sure, I like money".

Thanks! Funniest thing I've read all day.

I figure that it will be an excuse for Thor to say, "Ultron, we would have words with thee." And I'm OK with that.

Other than the various aspects of doing a proper Ultron story without having the rich, if sorta convoluted, Ultron/Vision/Wonderman/et.al history, one of the best Ultron stories was back during the Busiek/Perez vol. 3 run, #'s 19-22...just saying. Alwasy thought that was a spectacular Ultron story...

That was my first and best experience with Ultron as a villain. I think he's a great choice of villain for the film as it's a change from aliens and beats DC to it in terms of them having Brainiac in a film.

The recent Avengers cartoon did a decent Ultron too.

I figure that it will be an excuse for Thor to say, "Ultron, we would have words with thee." And I'm OK with that.

Sometimes it's the small things that matter most. Look how well the Hulk did with the Loki smash and Thor backhand. I still think Thor deserves a rematch :)

I just want to see Cap pick up Thor's hammer and hand it to him like it was no big deal. And then see Thor do a double take.

If that happens I will hulk out and destroy the cinema. Partly because I dislike Cap, but mostly because I prefer the continuity of it just being lifted by Thor and Odin.

I loved the Avengers film, let me say that right off the bat. But, I have to say, I was rather surprised when it was announced the title of the sequel would be Age of Ultron.

More than half the characters needed if they were basing this on the comics haven't been introduced - to say nothing of the fact a whack of them belong to the X-Men franchise - but apparently, just about the only thing Joss Whedon is taking from the comics storyline is the title - making the whole thing rather pointless.

If that happens I will hulk out and destroy the cinema. Partly because I dislike Cap, but mostly because I prefer the continuity of it just being lifted by Thor and Odin.

I think it depends on how one defines "worthy". I mean Hulk has lifted the hammer in comics.

Cap in the films is a pale shadow of the comic book persona.

There is a scene in an FF comic where the Thing tries to lift Mjölnir and supposedly fails. I believe that he didn't fail. After all his goal was just to see if he was worthy. He didn't want the power of the hammer and remember the Thing was brought back to life from "The One Above All".

Archived