Avengers 2: Age of Ultron

AndrewBaelish

Meh, fuck Hank Pym. He'd just be redundant in the film next to Stark, and having another science whiz is unnecessary unless its a love interest.

Even Ant Man is better off with Scott Lang, unless they are using the cartoon version [of Pym] from Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

At one point there was a rumour of all three "ant-men" featuring in the film but it sounds as if it's just Hank Pym now. I think it'll be a blank slate for him in the film in terms of interpretation but I did like EMH's take on him as a pacifist who thinks the spandex fighting is ultimately futile. Thing is, what about Giant Man or is that going to be an end of the film reveal?

It could still involve the Jarvis AI, maybe as some warped offspring?

I think for the movies it is far more organic and sensible to have Ultron be some kind of AI armour gone wrong. Tony Stark is hte heart of the marel movieverse so make the most of him while RDJR plays him. If Ant Man had been out a year ago they could have tried the Hank Pym route but I'm hoping Pym isn't too much of a polymath in the films being a physicist, AI expert and biologist.

They could always interject some Hank Pym vignettes at the end of any of the other movies coming before the next Avengers movie, as they did before.

There's a way to shoehorn in Hank and have something he's done interact with the Iron Man armor to create Ultron and give a little shout to the actual story, while creating something entirely new in the movies...which, if it works in any way shape or form will be ret-conned into the comics...

Don't worry, when Hugh Jackman retires as Wolverine in the next couple years and Fox hurries to hire a replacement so they can keep the rights, we'll get plenty of Marvel-related outrage. But I agree, the news of Spader has kind of just come and gone but I think that's because it's good casting.

With the success of the Avengers franchise on film, and the basic successes of the X-Men franchise, it's too bad the two movie studios can't find a way to come together to do a proper AvX movie trilogy...the possibilities of revenue should allow for some of those large ego actors to come together, right? :P

They could always interject some Hank Pym vignettes at the end of any of the other movies coming before the next Avengers movie, as they did before.

There's a way to shoehorn in Hank and have something he's done interact with the Iron Man armor to create Ultron and give a little shout to the actual story, while creating something entirely new in the movies...which, if it works in any way shape or form will be ret-conned into the comics...

With the success of the Avengers franchise on film, and the basic successes of the X-Men franchise, it's too bad the two movie studios can't find a way to come together to do a proper AvX movie trilogy...the possibilities of revenue should allow for some of those large ego actors to come together, right? :P

AVX or mArvelVfoX? They could get time-warner to referee. While the comic sucked a movie version would probably produce audible geekgasms across the world.

AVX or mArvelVfoX? They could get time-warner to referee. While the comic sucked a movie version would probably produce audible geekgasms across the world.

You'd think the cash prospects alone would make some Hollywood executives heads explode...

AvX reworked to not suck might not be too hard. They just need a more credible reason for the two sides to be in conflict. Genosha harboring mutant criminals would be something that might work.

Just make it so no one is 100% in the right, take out the stuff that's basically fan-service (5 Phoenixes OMG!), and probably just take out Hope and use Jean otherwise the movies will have to add in a LOT of plot - House of M, Messiah Complex, etc.

The problem with crossing the studios is that once it's done, it'll be a huge problem when they separate again, they'll either have to completely forget about the story or skirt around it.

That said, I WANT SPIDEY IN THE MCU! *sulks*

I found this the other day, it's from May so a lot of you may have seen it. But it made me sad for what IM3 could have been. And besides it'd be a safe way for them to familiarise us with the new Hulk, seeing how they seem to be very wary about trying another solo film.

The problem with crossing the studios is that once it's done, it'll be a huge problem when they separate again, they'll either have to completely forget about the story or skirt around it.

I found this the other day, it's from May so a lot of you may have seen it. But it made me sad for what IM3 could have been. And besides it'd be a safe way for them to familiarise us with the new Hulk, seeing how they seem to be very wary about trying another solo film.

From that article:

Cut. Print. That’s the Iron Man 3 I wanted to see, anyway. Maybe it’s the insane ramblings of a geek, or just glorified fanboy fiction, but I feel better for getting it out of head. Now I can move on and see the rest of this summer’s cinematic offerings which, hopefully, aren’t as disappointing as Shane Black’s ‘splosion-filled spectacle.

:agree: Specifically with the bolded part.

I found this the other day, it's from May so a lot of you may have seen it. But it made me sad for what IM3 could have been.And besides it'd be a safe way for them to familiarise us with the new Hulk, seeing how they seem to be very wary about trying another solo film.

Well chances are they'd be rebooting after a cross-over anyhow :P

Marvel/DC crossovers were never an issue you just accepted it was outside continuity so Spidey or the X-men being in a marvel film could just be a one-off. With something like AvX it's easy to have all the characters forget what happened anyhow.

I can't stand Ant Man either.... but having Pym introduced as a scientist shouldn't be too much trouble.... I don't understand what Whedon's plan is to deviate from the source material this much

Maybe Whedon and MArvel have succumbed to the JJ Abrahams bullshit promos? Hank Pym is introduced as a SHIELD tech guy who's job is to automate iron armour for SHIELD. Shit goes wrong. But they want it to be a SURPRISE so they tell us flat out lies about who is or isn't in the film. As far as we know, Spader is Hank Pym (but he may also be Ultron).

If they are starting this kind of bait and switch (which you can probably tell I hate) it would be the complete opposite of the comics branch. By now we'd know how the film ends, who dies and how it leads into the next film. Reading comics is so cheap because the publishers tell you everything you need to know :)

• 6 months later...

Whedon probably had no say in the title. Seems like a Marvel ploy for that very reason of selling that storyline. He's probably as thrilled with the title as anyone who isn't named Bendis.

Actually I saw a brief interview with him Saturday during a Marvel Studios special that aired on ABC. He was insisting that Ultron be in the 2nd Avengers flick. Granted, it could've been your typical hype job, but he seemed genuinely enthused that Ultron was the primary villain. Makes sense to me as Whedon is a huge comic geek, and Ultron is pretty much the quintessential Avengers baddie.

You should stop. The first appearance of this version of Nick Fury in the comics was 2001, in the movies... wait for it... 2008.

This^^^

Sam Jackson Nick Fury first appeared in the Ultimates. Pretty much the whole storyline of having Fury put together the team incrementally was bit from that comic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimates

Actually I saw a brief interview with him Saturday during a Marvel Studios special that aired on ABC. He was insisting that Ultron be in the 2nd Avengers flick. Granted, it could've been your typical hype job, but he seemed genuinely enthused that Ultron was the primary villain. Makes sense to me as Whedon is a huge comic geek, and Ultron is pretty much the quintessential Avengers baddie.

You misunderstood the context of that convo. We were debating the title, which is the title of a recent comic book storyline, not the villain of choice.

Archived