Theory: Darkstar's father (TWoW Spoilers)

Russo

I'm a sucker for a simple hero, but I think this guy is too Han Solo for GRRM to let him live or be significant. It's too easy for the dashing, angry killer to be a key part in the SOIAF. I wish he'd bust out Dawn and kill all the Freys, quick impregnate Dany and Sansa, smack Drogon on his sassy ass and ride him to fight the others. Just probably isn't gonna happen.

I'm a sucker for a simple hero, but I think this guy is too Han Solo for GRRM to let him live or be significant. It's too easy for the dashing, angry killer to be a key part in the SOIAF. I wish he'd bust out Dawn and kill all the Freys, quick impregnate Dany and Sansa, smack Drogon on his sassy ass and ride him to fight the others. Just probably isn't gonna happen.

Unfortunately not. But it could help the story.

id buy into it completely if they said more about his eyes. I forgot who said it but in the text when describing children of oberyn the eyes were very specific.

His eyes are described by Arianne.

They appear black at first glance (like Oberyn's) but on closer inspection are a very dark purple.

I think Darkstar might have a decently important role to play, but hoping he's a Targ is kinda wishful thinking. If he's Aegon...cool, but possible Pretender Aegon is still pretty interesting so far. I guess I feel like being the most dangerous man in Dorne must have something to do with his lineage, because it's not like he's a one-man army, just Targ might not be the house.

Solid theory I think, but how does Darkstar end up at High Hermitage as part of a cadet branch of house Dayne and not just a bastard Dayne at Starfall?

Who's to say he's not the product of Oberyn and a High Hermitage Dayne? Why the effort to connect Captain Emo to the Starfall Daynes?

Who's to say he's not the product of Oberyn and a High Hermitage Dayne? Why the effort to connect Captain Emo to the Starfall Daynes?

Well my theory involves Oberyn conceiving Darkstar on the way to CAsterly Rock, whilst stopping at Starfall, as he tells to Tyrion

Except he is a Dayne of High Hermitage not Starfall.

At the time Doran describes him as the most dangerous man in Dorne they aren't aware of Quentyn grisly end.

So as far as Doran is concerned Quentyn is still the next man in line. Not that it matters anyway under Dornish law.

This.

However I would imagine that the cadet Dayne branch would have a place at Starfall for an occasions such as the ruling house of Dorne dropping in.

I have become a believer in this theory. Also, I think there is no intention to kill Darkstar but they are hoping he kills the Kingsgard. Kinslaying is not acceptable in Dorne either. Perhaps that is why the Darkstar is called by Doran, "The most dangerous man in Dorne" is because he is kin and therefore, to a great degree, untouchable by the Martells. His parentage also may be why he will not be given "Dawn" as well.

Doesn't mean a High Hermitage Dayne couldn't be there. Perhaps as a companion to a lady of the main branch.

I agree, its been discussed in the thread. But having him conceived at Starfall adds to the theory, considering we know Oberyn was there close enough to the time of Darkstars conception to be possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Another quote I read the other day which could be interesting, is in ASOS and Tywin tells Jaime about the possibilty of Oberyn marrying Cersei. Jaime protests and says Oberyn has more bastards than Robert. We know Robert has more bastards than Oberyn that we know about, so perhaps this is GRRM hinting that there are more than the sand snakes.

It also of course, could be absolutely nothing

Another quote I read the other day which could be interesting, is in ASOS and Tywin tells Jaime about the possibilty of Oberyn marrying Cersei. Jaime protests and says Oberyn has more bastards than Robert. We know Robert has more bastards than Oberyn that we know about, so perhaps this is GRRM hinting that there are more than the sand snakes.

It also of course, could be absolutely nothing

Another good point.

Is Darkstar every described as having a widow' peak? All of Oberyn's children that we know of have widow's peaks. Sorry if this has been settled. I search this fourm for widow's peak, but found no references.

No he hasn't, but his hairline has not been decribed at all.

If the theory is correct, and GRRM has obviously wanted it be a secret, that would be way too obvious.

Basically, we don't know for sure he hasn't got one, or that he does have one.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of Captain Emo being Oberyn's bastard, because I like Oberyn. I don't like Dorkstar at all. But I think it's celar he isn't a Starfall Dayne. He makes it very obvious he's a High Hermitage Dayne, thus not of the main branch. Of course it would be interesting to see when the High Hermitage branch split off from the Starfall Daynes.

Archived