Theory: Darkstar's father (TWoW Spoilers)

Russo

This may have been mentioned but what if Darkstar is Doran's bastard, not Oberyn's?

Well maybe, but there isnt anything to suggest that in the books. There is some evidence however that he could be Oberyn's.

Well Russo I'm not sure thats entirely true. The evidence in the book that Darkstar is Oberyns is entirely circumstantial, there is no hard evidence. That being said I think there is a little circumstantial evidence he could be Dorans. Doran and his wife are estranged, it is mentioned several times actually, and no reason is ever given. Could be he cheated on her.

Well Russo I'm not sure thats entirely true. The evidence in the book that Darkstar is Oberyns is entirely circumstantial, there is no hard evidence. That being said I think there is a little circumstantial evidence he could be Dorans. Doran and his wife are estranged, it is mentioned several times actually, and no reason is ever given. Could be he cheated on her.

Oh I agree it's circumstantial.

Doran is estranged from his wife because he gave Quentyn away to the Yronwoods, and then wanted to give one of his other kids away and she threatened to kill herself. At least at this stage that seems the most likely reason.

Oh I agree it's circumstantial.

Doran is estranged from his wife because he gave Quentyn away to the Yronwoods, and then wanted to give one of his other kids away and she threatened to kill herself. At least at this stage that seems the most likely reason.

And I don't think he was married yet when Darkstar was born. Possibly engaged, though.

It's a joke.

Also, this is all circumstantial. Oberyn and Darkstar both have Dornish features; that doesn't mean they're related.

Yes they have the same dornish features, but they shouldn't. The Daynes are stony dornishmen, who look much more like the rest of westeros.

But yes it is circumstantial

I'm thinking Darkstar is the "Sun's son"...it's bugged a few people that the Sun's son comes after Kraken and Dark Flame, Lion and Griffin...plus the Sun's son is paired with the mummer's dragon...Lion and Griffin, they make sense together... Kraken and Dark Flame, do as well.... but Sun's son and mummer's dragon?

what's Quentyn doing there, paired with a fake Dragon? (Stannis? Aurane Water? Pisswater Prince???)

Anyway, it's more likely imho that the Sun's son is Oberyn's son and not Doran's...or it might be Quaithe refers to both at the same time. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking Darkstar is the "Sun's son"...it's bugged a few people that the Sun's son comes after Kraken and Dark Flame, Lion and Griffin...plus the Sun's son is paired with the mummer's dragon...Lion and Griffin, they make sense together... Kraken and Dark Flame, do as well.... but Sun's son and mummer's dragon?

what's Quentyn doing there, paired with a fake Dragon? (Stannis? Aurane Water? Pisswater Prince???)

Anyway, it's more likely imho that the Sun's son is Oberyn's son and not Doran's...or it might be Quaithe refers to both at the same time. ;)

The suns son and the mummers dragon as Quentyn and Aegon are the 2 suitors in that series. Tyrion and Joncon are both advisors, Kraken and Dark Flame are possibly both looking for dragons, or if Kraken does refer to Victarion instead of Euron then it could just refer to the fact that victarion and Moqorro are together.

Found another quote that could be connected to the theory:

From AFfC, The Queenmaker:

"Princess". Ser Gerold Dayne stood behind her, half in Starlight half in shadow.

If this is an insight into Darkstar, the half in starlight would refer to the Dayne side of his parents.

The half in shadow would refer to the other parent.

Could this mean one of his parents is hidden, or hidden from him, or from the world. Could it mean the parent is dead? They talk of Oberyn a few sentences later.

I like the idea that its hidden, and fits well with the theory.

Just on that quote, the city around Sunspear is known as the Shadow City.

Doran's wife left because she was angry about Doran sending Quentyn away to be Fostered with Yronwoods.

On a side note, did anyone else find this suspect? "Oh, I'm mad that you're fostering our son at another castle, so I'm going to leave you and our other children behind and move home and not see any of you ever again?"

Not that I could say what she has really been up to all this time, but Prince Doran does play the long game.

Also, I apologize if this has been brought up somewhere. I'm just getting into these forums, and it's very overwhelming. Lol.

Archived