Theory: Darkstar's father (TWoW Spoilers)

Russo

It's a joke.

Also, this is all circumstantial. Oberyn and Darkstar both have Dornish features; that doesn't mean they're related.

Yeah, this. I don't get it -- what's the proof for this theory? It's just a list of might-have-beens

On a side note, did anyone else find this suspect? "Oh, I'm mad that you're fostering our son at another castle, so I'm going to leave you and our other children behind and move home and not see any of you ever again?"

Not that I could say what she has really been up to all this time, but Prince Doran does play the long game.

Also, I apologize if this has been brought up somewhere. I'm just getting into these forums, and it's very overwhelming. Lol.

Yea, I found that very suspect as well. I've got a theory that Doran's wife might be the infamous Septa Lemore and Doran has been secretly backing "Aegon" from close to the beginning, all the while playing his cards very close to the vest. (i.e. he is lying to his daughter about his knowledge of "Aegon").

Yea, I found that very suspect as well. I've got a theory that Doran's wife might be the infamous Septa Lemore and Doran has been secretly backing "Aegon" from close to the beginning, all the while playing his cards very close to the vest. (i.e. he is lying to his daughter about his knowledge of "Aegon").

That is an interesting theory, especially since we know Septa Lemore has had a kid or two. There's got to be more behind her story. It would fit if she was really Doran's wife.

Found another quote that could be connected to the theory:

From AFfC, The Queenmaker:

"Princess". Ser Gerold Dayne stood behind her, half in Starlight half in shadow.

If this is an insight into Darkstar, the half in starlight would refer to the Dayne side of his parents.

The half in shadow would refer to the other parent.

Could this mean one of his parents is hidden, or hidden from him, or from the world. Could it mean the parent is dead? They talk of Oberyn a few sentences later.

I like the idea that its hidden, and fits well with the theory.

I still think the best theory on septa Lemore is Ashara Dayne. The story that she had a miscarriage and then killed herself fits such a conspiracy perfectly. She hides her escape from westeros but in case she ever got found out she also hid her child. Ashara has been mentioned a lot in the series and Dorans wife really only in passing.

On a side note, did anyone else find this suspect? "Oh, I'm mad that you're fostering our son at another castle, so I'm going to leave you and our other children behind and move home and not see any of you ever again?"

Not that I could say what she has really been up to all this time, but Prince Doran does play the long game.

Also, I apologize if this has been brought up somewhere. I'm just getting into these forums, and it's very overwhelming. Lol.

She didn't leave just because of that, it was the sum of many things that eventually led her to leave. The last drop was Doran wanting to send Arianne to Tyrosh, if I remember correctly. Here's what GRRM said about this (fourth question):

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Asshai.com_Interview_in_Barcelona/

She didn't leave just because of that, it was the sum of many things that eventually led her to leave. The last drop was Doran wanting to send Arianne to Tyrosh, if I remember correctly. Here's what GRRM said about this (fourth question):

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Asshai.com_Interview_in_Barcelona/

Yes, I've read this before, but I still don't completely buy it. She's so upset that her children will be elsewhere that she just leaves completely, never seeing them again? Especially Trystane, who had to have been pretty young when she left. A failed marriage that dashes your ideals of romantic love could certainly cause someone to dash away back to their familiar home -- if they don't have 3 kids, one of whom may even be an infant.

There's plenty of estranged couples in our world with all kinds of dashed ideals who still manage to live near each other so they can see their kids regularly. I would think that as a princess of Dorne, she would be able to live in a separate castle near enough to see Arriane and Trystane, or to even go visit Quentin once in awhile (when he was actually being fostered).

No, there has to be something else here. It just doesn't make sense.

(Sorry to ram this in so much. It's one of those little things that bothers me a lot.)

That is an interesting theory, especially since we know Septa Lemore has had a kid or two. There's got to be more behind her story. It would fit if she was really Doran's wife.

I still think the best theory on septa Lemore is Ashara Dayne. The story that she had a miscarriage and then killed herself fits such a conspiracy perfectly. She hides her escape from westeros but in case she ever got found out she also hid her child. Ashara has been mentioned a lot in the series and Dorans wife really only in passing.

These quotes are really interesting, Oberyn + Septa Lemore (AKA Ashara Dayne in disguise) = Darkstar. It doesn't seem... right though.

Oberyn could certainly have been Darkstar's father. But what if they are actually brothers? When did Doran and Oberyn's father die? Was it before or after Darkstar would have been born?

Lewyn Martell is also another good possibility. ETA: As Brandon Greystark mentioned.

If the father is a Martell, the mother has to have Valyrian blood to give him the silver hair.

After reading AFFC book again Darkstar was a mystery to me. He is the only person who seems to dislike Arthur Dayne. But why? He is describe as dark and angry. He calls himself Darkstar,why? Dark(secret), star(Starfall). Put it together secret Starfall. He is angry because he has to hide who he is. He is angry at Arthur Dayne for guarding(Lyanna) the wrong woman, and not (ELIA) his mom. Martells are known not to save their maidenhead for marriage and are from reading the Marttell chapters. So why does nobody think Elia could have loved another man that she met before meeting Rhaegar. Oberyn and Elia stopped at Starfall. I think Arthur is handsome, and a great knight. That's what every girl dreams of. I think Arthur wanted to become a member of the kingsguard to be close to Elia. He would give up becoming heir to Starfall for what? Of course for love.

You don't need Valyrian blood to have silver hair. It's a feature common to Valyrians but not exclusive to them.

I can't recall any non-Valyrians with silver hair in the series. Did I miss some?

Granted, it's been a while since I read the books, and I devoured them in a hurry. I think I need to do a thorough re-read.

Either way, the silver hair had to come from the mother, if Darkstar's father is a Martell.

I can't recall any non-Valyrians with silver hair in the series. Did I miss some?

The Daynes. They're descended from the First Men. They claim a history in Westeros that goes back 10,000 years, before the Andals, Rhoynar or Valyrians showed up.

I think there is an SSM somewhere where someone asks if Ashara is Valyrian because she has purple eyes and GRRM makes a comparison that while many Swedes have blue eyes, not all people with blue eyes are Swedes.

The Daynes. They're descended from the First Men. They claim a history in Westeros that goes back 10,000 years, before the Andals, Rhoynar or Valyrians showed up.

I think there is an SSM somewhere where someone asks if Ashara is Valyrian because she has purple eyes and GRRM makes a comparison that while many Swedes have blue eyes, not all people with blue eyes are Swedes.

Ok, thanks! I knew about purple eyes in the Daynes but not the silver hair.

Archived