Luther

Darth Visenya

• 2 weeks later...

So, the first half aired. And it woz gud.

Glad to see Alice still be a heavy presence despite not being in it, and they didn't just handwave her away. Although everyone seems remarkably forgiving of John, considering the implication that his whole reason for going with Alice in season 3 was coz he couldn't go back to the police anymore.

Still, it does work.

Just watched the first part of the miniseries :D It was good, can't wait for the second part, so I'm glad that's airing tomorrow :) Idris Elba is as great as ever. The fact that Alice

isn't present is a bit of a bummer, but no way that she's actually dead. Glad to see another sidekick step in. I was getting tired of the last guy.

The story here was constructed quite well, it's outrageous and over the top for sure, but it works. Loved the whole set-up with the fridge , I though that was really clever. I found the killers in the last season mostly disappointing, so I'm glad that this crazy cannibal seems to be a better class of villain, who actually strategizes about his evil acts, although I did feel like there were maybe a bit to many similarities with Red Dragon. The opening twist was also pretty neat, I was expecting the wife to get butchered and the man discovering her, but when something else happened I was pleased :) 

EDIT: Also glad the Belgian police got a shout out, I can't help but wonder whether recent events might have had an impact there, or whether the reputation of Belgian coppers was already not to bright in the UK. Antwerp is the cocain capital of Europe after all, they are very proud of that honorific :) 

So, episode 2 aired.

I am more annoyed than I probably should be that the last words weren't "So, now what". Not cool.

Also, in the end, the 'main' killer plot was a complete sideshow and could probably have been done without entirely, focusing on the cold case and Alice's death.
All that stuff was good, but it ended up feeling like a prologue to a part 2 that isn't necessarily coming. And they clearly decided to keep their options open in case Ruth Wilson's schedule frees up if that part 2 does come, so no closure there either. Odd  one all-round, really. Not their best work.

So, episode 2 aired.

Hidden Content

Imo it's kind of like the opposite of the previous season:

I thought the individual killers were pretty shitty back in season three, but I loved getting Alice back and the whole continuation of their lovely interactions. It also was a pretty good ending to the series overall, what with the jacket falling into the Thames and whatnot. This new season were exactly the opposite. I thought the individual killer was a pretty fantastic case, one of Luther's finest and that's pretty high praise, but the backstory surrounding Alice and that wannabe psychic bitch was pure excrement. I couldn't really give a flying fuck. I also hated how they left that without any closure whatsoever. 

I really wish they would give us more Luther. 4 seasons and only 16 episodes just isn't enough. Idris is phenomenal and seems like he really enjoys the show, I wish Netflix could pick it up and make a couple full seasons.

Archived