Ser Barristan chose poorly?

This does raise an interesting question about why nobody looked into why 3 KG died at the ToJ? Shouldn't Selmy or Jamie have some opinion as to why 3 of their sworn brothers died at some random tower in the Dornish marshes nowhere near either Rhaegar or the King? Leaving R+L=J out of it shouldn't someone have mentioned what the popular opinion was regarding the 3 KG deaths?

Very good point. It also makes me wonder if Selmy was with Rhaegar at the Trident why didn't he ask him where the 3 KG were and why they were there?

I believe that if (?) Barristan survives Mereen, he will definitely be confronted with this question.

GRRM works in misterious ways, but I can anticipate 2 scenarios concerning Barristan:

1 - He dies in the Battle of Mereen (possibly killed by Victarion)

2. He survives, re-joins Danny at some point. They arrive in westeros and start fighting fAegon. Barristan will be faced with a hard choice - stick with Danny or join the Aegon (if he believes Aegon is real) and Ashara - his great love (if Septa Lemore is indeed Ashara Dayne). Aegon still can be fake - but it is important whether Barristan will believe in this or not. Danny might declare Aergon fake based on her vithions of mummers dragon (and possibly some whispering from Tyrion) but if Barristan meets Ashara and she claims that Aegin is a reald deal - Barristan may well tun out to be the Betrayal for Love from the prophecy.

• 1 year later...

Stannis would not burn Selmy because Selmy was fire from his position and he could help train Stannis' men. Stannis might keep him because Selmy would be honest in what he thinks of Stannis' plans(he known Stannis long enough to be the oppisite of a yes man).

• 2 weeks later...

Hell no we don't all want that! Stannis is a douche who nobody wants as king besides his horrid wife, a witch who doesn't really know how to read fires, and a smuggler who owes his entire new life to the douche. Who else wants him to be king??? The only reason part of the north is helping out is that they hate the boltons/freys and the few southern lords are only doing as they realized they chose the wrong side and have to wait it out in hopes they get new land up north.

What does Stannis do better than someone else that you would want him to be king???

Are you talking as a book reader or in general? Being a asshole or not Stannis is the rightful heir. Ned knew it, even Renly knew.

• 2 weeks later...

This does raise an interesting question about why nobody looked into why 3 KG died at the ToJ? Shouldn't Selmy or Jamie have some opinion as to why 3 of their sworn brothers died at some random tower in the Dornish marshes nowhere near either Rhaegar or the King? Leaving R+L=J out of it shouldn't someone have mentioned what the popular opinion was regarding the 3 KG deaths?

I believe that the details of the fight of the fight at the Tower of Joy are not well know or common knowledge. For example one of the reasons Barbrey Dustin harbors such a dislike of Eddard is due to his failure to return her husbands bones to her or provide a detailed location of them.

"He told me that my lord had died an honorable death, that his body had been laid to rest beneath the red mountains of Dorne".

I assume anyone else Ned and/or Howland interacted with received similar vague answers.

I believe that the details of the fight of the fight at the Tower of Joy are not well know or common knowledge. For example one of the reasons Barbrey Dustin harbors such a dislike of Eddard is due to his failure to return her husbands bones to her or provide a detailed location of them.

"He told me that my lord had died an honorable death, that his body had been laid to rest beneath the red mountains of Dorne".

I assume anyone else Ned and/or Howland interacted with received similar vague answers.

Yeah the fact that Ned gave Barbrey Dustin vague answers reguarding her husband is one thing, the fates of three KG slain in a tower in Dorne is another, the fact Jamie doen't even mention Ned "slaying" the 3 finest knights in the relm when they meet (or ever) is odd, it's prob just a matter of GRRM purposfully ommitting valuable info, even if it doesn't make sense naratively.

Archived