The Ice Dragon

Illusive Lookas

Just went back and re-read Samwell's first chapter in A Feat for Crows and he says:

"Queen Alysane had visited Castle Black on her Dragon and Jaeherys her King had come after on his own. Could Silverwings have left an egg behind?"

Now somewhere else in the series it might have been a Dance with Dragons there was some mention of an Ice Dragon. whether it was spoken figuratively, which it probably was, It would still be cool to have an Ice Dragon hatch somewhere during the rest of the series.

what do you guys think?

That would be a fire dragon though, wouldn't it?

If there is some sort of Ice Dragon out there, I suspect it either would be an undead dragon, or some sort of new creatures which would be the opposite of the regular dragons we have seen. That said, the Others (Ice) does seem to be the opposite of dragons (Fire), albeit in humanoid form.

Old Nan has a story about an Ice Dragon and she has been credible on these kinds of things before. The Ironborn also have Nagga, a sea dragon.

It could be possible that the dragons will take the form of the fire/water/ice element that incubates them and the Targs simply always use fire. But as far as concrete evidence goes, there's none. I would very much like to see one though

As far as a dragon that has ice characteristics, I doubt it. When I think of dragons, the first thing that comes to mind is heat, fire, and destruction, and an ice dragon just seems a little corny to me. But hey, thats just my opinion, so you never know.

I believe the ice dragon refers to Jon, for the general reasons.

Holy crap, I just went to the wiki to look up ice dragons and found this: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/The_Ice_Dragon_%28Novel%29 . Couldn't quite believe my eyes so checked on amazon and it really seems to exist. Also note, that there was a sea dragon (Nagga) during the age of heroes which is apparently different to normal dragons. Nowadays, none of these exist but of course it's easy to come up with loads of crackpot theories (CPT), for example:

• CPT 1: The others are ruled by ice dragons and all ice dragons have been bound & buried under the wall.
  • CPT 2: The ice dragons are the ultimate weapon against the other and Bran the builder + CotF stored ice dragon egg(s) at the wall. Jon or Bran or ______ will awake the ice dragon(s) and shatter the others.
  • CPT 3: The dragon that's rumoured to be below winter fell is the last ice dragon, not a fire dragon and the hot springs are its prison, not caused by it (as some other CPTs have it).
  • CPT 4: Euron/Asha/___ discovers a sea dragon, Jon/Bran/____ discover an ice dragon and fused together with Danys fire dragons by the CotF/Melisandre/Quaithe you get the ultimate three headed fire+ice+sea dragon that kills the Others and all evil schemers and reawakens earth after Ragnarok.

Right now I have the feeling that the ASOIAF world is several leagues too large and complicated for me.

Holy crap, I just went to the wiki to look up ice dragons and found this: http://awoiaf.wester..._Dragon_(Novel) . Couldn't quite believe my eyes so checked on amazon and it really seems to exist. Also note, that there was a sea dragon (Nagga) during the age of heroes which is apparently different to normal dragons. Nowadays, none of these exist but of course it's easy to come up with loads of crackpot theories (CPT), for example:

• CPT 1: The others are ruled by ice dragons and all ice dragons have been bound & buried under the wall.
  • CPT 2: The ice dragons are the ultimate weapon against the other and Bran the builder + CotF stored ice dragon egg(s) at the wall. Jon or Bran or ______ will awake the ice dragon(s) and shatter the others.
  • CPT 3: The dragon that's rumoured to be below winter fell is the last ice dragon, not a fire dragon and the hot springs are its prison, not caused by it (as some other CPTs have it).
  • CPT 4: Euron/Asha/___ discovers a sea dragon, Jon/Bran/____ discover an ice dragon and fused together with Danys fire dragons by the CotF/Melisandre/Quaithe you get the ultimate three headed fire+ice+sea dragon that kills the Others and all evil schemers and reawakens earth after Ragnarok.

Right now I have the feeling that the ASOIAF world is several leagues too large and complicated for me.

The Ice Dragon may or may not be set in the ASoIaF world.

The Nagga exists I guess,We have the damn bones.

But what you suggest sounds more like Captain Planet then something GRRM would write.

As far as the OP is concerned: I doubt that the Targs would have left a dragons egg at the wall.

• Dragon eggs = source of dragons; dragons = power. and who'd know better than the Targs that you don't let any potential enemy get their hands on your source of power.
  • If I remember the Dunk & Egg tales correctly, every Targ did get a dragons egg placed in their craddle. According to my memory, Eggs statement wasn't conclusive but seemed to imply that every Targ got their own dragon egg which in turn means that at the time, they would have needed quite a lot of dragon eggs to afford one for every family member. (Of course, Dunk & Egg happened a long time after Alysanne & Jaehaerys but I'd expect the dragon egg in craddle thing to be a left over of the time when the Targs still had dragons and not something they invented after the last dragon died.)
  • Dragon eggs = bloody expensive. You don't throw away loads of money at the wall. (Note that it was very nice of Queen Alysanne to gift the New Gift to the wall except that she didn't have to pay for it as it was land of northern lordlings (Starks) that she gifted to the wall, not crown lands. The only thing she actually did pay for was Deep Lake castle.)

The Ice Dragon may or may not be set in the ASoIaF world.

The Nagga exists I guess,We have the damn bones.

But what you suggest sounds more like Captain Planet then something GRRM would write.

Yes, I've read the thing about "may or may not" but I doubt that

However, several publishers say that it is set in the same world. [2][3]

if GRRM would not have given his ok to that. And at least Old Nan has stories about ice dragons so I think it's fair to assume that ice dragons existed at some point or another in the ASOIAF world.

And no, I don't really believe in any of the four CPTs I just proposed. It's just that the discovery of the ice dragon book sent my brain racing and when that happens... I really hope that GRRM gets us a nice, clean end to ASOIAF without having to resort to anything like my CPTs. Actually, I trust GRRM to give us a nice, clean end without having to resort to anything like my CPTs.

I think the egg refers to Aegon V's nickname, Egg, who was a prince and future king disguised as someone of humbler origins. The egg left behind is Jon, Egg's descendant and future king disguised (unknowingly) as someone of humbler origins.

I think the egg refers to Aegon V's nickname, Egg, who was a prince and future king disguised as someone of humbler origins. The egg left behind is Jon, Egg's descendant and future king disguised (unknowingly) as someone of humbler origins.

Wow youre good at these :o

That would be a fire dragon though, wouldn't it?

If there is some sort of Ice Dragon out there, I suspect it either would be an undead dragon, or some sort of new creatures which would be the opposite of the regular dragons we have seen. That said, the Others (Ice) does seem to be the opposite of dragons (Fire), albeit in humanoid form.

what a cute little profile pic!

i like the idea that the ice dragon is an undead dragon wight

wait how does that work? the dragon's insides is as hot as a furnace and the outside is as hot as armor left the sun, it breaths fire because they are "fire made flesh." if a dragon dies and becomes a wight then it would lose that heat because wights have a cold aura just like the Others.(Jon commenting on how chillingly cold it got when the wight came near in AGOT) how would a cold dead dragon breath fire? that would be like defanging a snake, you'd be taking away the power that makes it dangerous.

wait how does that work? the dragon's insides is as hot as a furnace and the outside is as hot as armor left the sun, it breaths fire because they are "fire made flesh." if a dragon dies and becomes a wight then it would lose that heat because wights have a cold aura just like the Others.(Jon commenting on how chillingly cold it got when the wight came near in AGOT) how would a cold dead dragon breath fire? that would be like defanging a snake, you'd be taking away the power that makes it dangerous.

other then the there claws, teeth and the fact the never stop growing, so in theory u could have a dragon wight that size of a castle

I just discovered the passage in the Wiki regarding the Valaryians and the 14 Fires and the origins of Dragons which apparently are natural to World of Ice and Fire.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Fourteen_Fires

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dragons

The Ice Dragons may or may not exist. I'm thinking they might exist in the Land of Always Winter.

Archived